Ford giving up on Fiesta, Focus and Fusion

Freestyle and Five Hundred were universally panned for both bland styling and being underpowered (203-hp) and had a CVT.

Only the AWD's typically received the CVT. The FWD's had an Aisin model. Then when they switched to Taurus/X, it changed to a Ford trans.

The seat height was high in these cars. Not the ride height. Ride height is still same as the regular car. But yes, anyway you slice it, it was too bland to sell well.

• Like 1

I'm still not sold on this-How many attempts where made at doing this over the past 10 years? All of them have been failures IMO.

Subaru Outback seems pretty successful, so is XV Crosstrek.

Kia Soul is a smash hit.

BMW 3GT and 5GT are pretty successful. (X4 and X6 are SUVs, not cars with lifted suspensions)

Toyota Venza actually sold pretty well so I'm not sure why Toyota killed it actually. And before that, they had Matrix, which was XV Crosstrek or Focus Active before XV Crosstrek or Focus Active became a thing.

Honda Crosstour was the right idea but poor execution. It was too ugly. (Acura ZDX was not the same thing... it was more like BMW X6 - a SUV coupe)

Audi A4 allroad and A6 allroad sells really well worldwide although we only get the A4 version here.

VW Golf Alltrack is off to a good start in the US.

Ford tried this concept a couple of times but never really nailed it in my opinion - Freestyle/TaurusX, Focus X-Road, C-Max

Subaru Outback seems pretty successful, so is XV Crosstrek.

Kia Soul is a smash hit.

BMW 3GT and 5GT are pretty successful. (X4 and X6 are SUVs, not cars with lifted suspensions)

Toyota Venza actually sold pretty well so I'm not sure why Toyota killed it actually. And before that, they had Matrix, which was XV Crosstrek or Focus Active before XV Crosstrek or Focus Active became a thing.

Honda Crosstour was the right idea but poor execution. It was too ugly. (Acura ZDX was not the same thing... it was more like BMW X6 - a SUV coupe)

Audi A4 allroad and A6 allroad sells really well worldwide although we only get the A4 version here.

VW Golf Alltrack is off to a good start in the US.

Ford tried this concept a couple of times but never really nailed it in my opinion - Freestyle/TaurusX, Focus X-Road, C-Max

Living on the East Coast I haven't really seen any of the 3GT and 5GT-people seem gravitate more towards the traditional CUV look when it comes to BMWs around here or sedans.

The Soul just seems to be a tall Hatchback that looks like a box

I haven't seen a Golf Alltrack yet-looks like a station wagon with some cladding on it.

With that said-thats all most of these people are getting-AWD slightly different Station Wagons.

Just got off the phone with my local Ford dealer. I bought several cars from the sales manager when he was a salesman and we developed a relationship from that. I called to express my disappointment with FoMoCo, knowing he could pass it up the line.

Bottom line: Ford has created a wealth of bad public image from this little announcement. His words to me were that there is a 5 to 1 ratio of negative comments concerning them dropping all the cars except Mustang and that bastardized Focus thing. This very well could be regional; but just like in an election, we count too.

He towed the company line with "Just keep an open mind at what's coming up in the future", but he knew as the words were coming out of his mouth that would probably not be the case.

Just got off the phone with my local Ford dealer. I bought several cars from the sales manager when he was a salesman and we developed a relationship from that. I called to express my disappointment with FoMoCo, knowing he could pass it up the line.

Bottom line: Ford has created a wealth of bad public image from this little announcement. His words to me were that there is a 5 to 1 ratio of negative comments concerning them dropping all the cars except Mustang and that bastardized Focus thing. This very well could be regional; but just like in an election, we count too.

He towed the company line with "Just keep an open mind at what's coming up in the future", but he knew as the words were coming out of his mouth that would probably not be the case.

I really don't understand the hatred for the Focus Active. IT'S A FOCUS HATCH WITH BLACK CLADDING AND A 3 CM LIFT. If you and others hate it so much, then you don't like Focus to begin with.

• Like 1

I really don't understand the hatred for the Focus Active. IT'S A FOCUS HATCH WITH BLACK CLADDING AND A 3 CM LIFT. If you and others hate it so much, then you don't like Focus to begin with.

Taking styling cues from Pontiac is a smart thing?

An no...I'm not really crazy about the Focus. That is why I bought a Fusion. The other choice was a Taurus. Focus was never in the mix.

Given Lincolns sales youre probably with 99.99% of th rest of buyers

Lincoln, Cadillac, all the way up to a Rolls. Even if I had the money I would still never drive a luxury car.

If I were to hit the lottery tomorrow, Im still trading my Focus for a Fusion, and my other Focus for a Ranger.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

That's the point I was trying to make... it is just a regular car but it is classified as light truck by the EPA. Same with Subaru. Same with Audi allroad. Same with Toyota Venza and Matrix previously.

And Kia is charging $20+k for a Soul vs. substantially less for similarly equipped Kia Rio. Again, same with Subaru XV vs. Impreza.

So Ford says it is not going to sell many cars, doesn't mean the end of cars per se. Just that it will be selling cars that are classified as EPA trucks and consumers have demonstrated willingness to pay several thousand dollars extra for some extra ground clearance and acres of plastic pladding.

I mean there are some real consumer benefits... like factory tinted window and higher ride height. But I think we all agree that Kia Soul is just a Kia Rio hatchback with more square styling.

• Like 2

It doesn't matter what people say. If those people were still buying enough full priced Titanium Fusions they'd continue making them.

• Like 1

Once Ford said it was ending Fusion, it almost compels them to show the replacement vehicle. I go back to what Akirby said, they didnt need to do that yet, just let the press speculate.

The announcement threw up more questions than answers.... about everything

I think this is why I loved this announcement because it's so uncharacteristically and mercifully definitive. I knew it was coming so I'm glad I no longer have to constantly persuade people that it was coming and why it makes sense.

What Ford epically failed to anticipate is how the news would be reported, so now everybody just assumes all these cars are going away tomorrow and they have no follow ups...Ford is doomed, buy a Chevy right now!

Ah well, like everything else it takes time for people to get it and perception is always going to be a struggle.

And if Ford is loosing money on most of those sales, the risk is actually pretty low and might help them make that transition sooner. If Ford isn't going to make cars, I might as well just buy this EcoSport, Escape, Edge, Explorer and join the modern era instead of just doing what I'm use to doing and buying the newest 4-door trunk thing.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

Living on the East Coast I haven't really seen any of the 3GT and 5GT-people seem gravitate more towards the traditional CUV look when it comes to BMWs around here or sedans.

I haven't seen a Golf Alltrack yet-looks like a station wagon with some cladding on it.

With that said-thats all most of these people are getting-AWD slightly different Station Wagons.

Here in greater Boston I see many of the BMW and MB CUV styled car things, even a fair number of the Honda Crossturd.

Up here in the Northwest, there's a a ton of various Subaru wagon/CUV vehicles...and similar types by other makes are almost as common. I see a pretty constant collection of Flexes (I have one myself), as well as Freestyles and Taurus Xes. The various "toaster" compacts are also everywhere; my girlfriend drives a Kia Soul that's one of a half-dozen in our apartment building's lot. While typing this, I'm watching traffic in front of my employer's building...and I can see a half-dozen CUVs parked while trucks and CUVs/SUVs are about 80% of the traffic outside.

Granted, we have slimy roads a lot of the time, so it's really not all that surprising...but it's hard to deny that Subaru were ahead of their time, and stuck to their beliefs in coming trends.

Besides the Cladding, It is made in China and its Gimicky - plus they should just give it a different name rather than tack on the "Active"

Anyway, i'm NOT writing off Ford - I prefer driving a Stick, so guess i'm really on a dwindling list. I have a 2007 and 2014 Mustang and a 2016 Fusion in the household. I like Mustangs, though worried it's being priced out of the "Pony Car" range, but it will always be on my list. Had a 2000 Focus ZX3, I don't see buying a Focus made in China and the Focus ST is no longer an option. The Bronco looks interesting, though I live in a more urban than exurban place so don't want to pay for off road capabilities that I will never use. I looked at the Escape when we got the Fusion, too expensive for what it is and the Fusion is just a more enjoyable car to drive and better looking.

Maybe I'll buy used if my 2007 dies. Did that with a Contour SVT that had a replaced engine. Fun as heck car but the I think the engine replacement was done in someone's back yard.

Hopefully the White Space Freestyle 2 Deluxe they are developing will have a stick! Isn't that you in the new Freestyle 2 !

Isn't it you in an LTD 2 you'll never know till you try.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting..its nice to get some real world feedback...public perception is going to be the real bitch for ford going forward..its going to be dam interesting watching how this shakes out.....

• Like 1

I am certain by the end of this decade, Ford will be seen as an innovator and influencer and all the negative public reaction will turn very positive and affirm their vision. I've never been more enthusiastic about the company and the good things coming.

• Like 2

I am certain by the end of this decade, Ford will be seen as an innovator and influencer and all the negative public reaction will turn very positive and affirm their vision. I've never been more enthusiastic about the company and the good things coming.

+1

I'm optimistic too. Ford finally has a strategy to survive and thrive. Both near and far future. As mentioned earlier, they have lots of challenges ahead. But unlike 3 or 4 years ago, Ford is heading in the right direction.

• Like 1

+1

I'm optimistic too. Ford finally has a strategy to survive and thrive. Both near and far future. As mentioned earlier, they have lots of challenges ahead. But unlike 3 or 4 years ago, Ford is heading in the right direction.

It will be interesting to see where the "new normal" ends up.....

• Like 1

LOL. Poor guy. Do you complain to the kid at the McDonalds drive through that you cannot get the McDLT as well?

(If so, Im sure hell tell Ronald for you)

Edited by sullynd
  • Like 2

Maybe he'll complain once, but then he will go to other burger places that make food that he likes. Myself, I don't want a Focus Active, especially one manufactured in the PRC. I will likely find my next new car at a VW dealer. They'll still be selling proper compact Euro-flavored cars.

You may want to stop patronizing people.