2018 Reserve L - DRL Out, Trunk Opens on its own, 1 week old

That said I don't remember activating the sensor while simply unloading things from the rear. Just putting your foot under the bumper doesn't activate it on the MKX.

With a 4 year old, 6 year old, and a 3 month old puppy, there is never such thing as "simply" unloading things from the rear.

All the kids decided to exit via the "doggie door" in back, and I had to help them each out while our puppy also wanted out. My feet were probably shuffling around under the sensor. It wasn't really a big deal, it was just surprising amidst all the chaos with the kids to also have the lift gate trying to come down on my head.

Day 8 of car being at dealership, dealer calls and says everything is resolved with the DRL, and a TSB for the rear hatch glass was done, but couldn't re-produce the rear gate opening when the passenger door was actuated.

Wife goes to pick up car is putting son into car opens driver side passenger door, hatch opens. Now its repeatable every 2-3 actuation of door, and tailgate opens. Disabled the kick sensor and it still does it. Techs have no clue other than it will take a long time to figure out. Car has been at dealership for 8 days of the 14 days I've owned it. I'm completely disappointed, disgusted, and frustrated.

Day 14 of car being at dealership, interior is taken apart they believe there is a short somewhere in the harness. Door sill trim, portions of carpet, lower dash assembly, total rear floor, hatch interior has all been taken apart. Good thing I paid $95k for a car to be disassembled and re-assembled at a dealership. Lincoln/Ford has done very little to assuage the situation to this point. Absolutely pathetic.

Day 14 of car being at dealership, interior is taken apart they believe there is a short somewhere in the harness. Door sill trim, portions of carpet, lower dash assembly, total rear floor, hatch interior has all been taken apart. Good thing I paid $95k for a car to be disassembled and re-assembled at a dealership. Lincoln/Ford has done very little to assuage the situation to this point. Absolutely pathetic.

Yeah, that's a tough one, and tougher for the pay grade of the folks at the dealership. I can also imagine it's a hassle when you just bought a new car.

Our right rear passenger window is non-operable on delivery. Maybe they have some manufacturing issue with the wiring installation, bus connectors, or wiring placement that is causing these faults.

In case others are interested, I just found a site selling the factory shop manual for the car..

2018 Lincoln Navigator Factory Shop Service Manual CD Original - $265

Edited by Dave_SF

Yeah, that's a tough one, and tougher for the pay grade of the folks at the dealership. I can also imagine it's a hassle when you just bought a new car.

Our right rear passenger window is non-operable on delivery. Maybe they have some manufacturing issue with the wiring installation, bus connectors, or wiring placement that is causing these faults.

In case others are interested, I just found a site selling the factory shop manual for the car..

2018 Lincoln Navigator Factory Shop Service Manual CD Original - $265

Yah, I'm not necessarily guiding any resentment to the dealer, this is an engineering/manufacturing issue. If Ford/Lincoln expects to make substantial inroads into this segment, I expect a more overwhelming effort to make me feel whole when dealt this situation, especially buying what amounts to their bread and butter halo car.

Regarding your window, that is an incredible miss. How does that leave the factory? I wouldn't expect that out of ANY new car, let alone a car of this level. I hope it doesn't turn into a disaster as mine has, good luck.

A non operational window should have been caught during PDI process. Thats a dealer issue there. Granted it should not have left the factory like that, but the second line of defense is Dealer prep and all that should be checked before its on the lot or delivered.

Some things can get missed just because a 1 hour inspection is nothing like living with it. I remember an explorer in the early 2000s that one mirror had a puddle lamp and other side didnt. Hard to catch that one on PDI. I did have a 97 thunderbird that one seat was cloth and three were leather. How does that make it out of the factory Ill never know.

Don’t forget that even though there is a Ford sign on the building, dealers are independent businesses and Ford doesn’t control how they operate (thanks to state laws). Not trying to let Ford off the hook here - they’re responsible for building it in the first place - but if you’re not getting treated properly by the dealer then go to another dealer.

My liftgate closes at the slightest sense of something under the bumper. I'm in a wheelchair and whenever I'm loading/unloading, my front wheels go slightly under the bumper and cause the door to start closing on me. Very frustrating. May look to see if I can disable it.

My liftgate closes at the slightest sense of something under the bumper. I'm in a wheelchair and whenever I'm loading/unloading, my front wheels go slightly under the bumper and cause the door to start closing on me. Very frustrating. May look to see if I can disable it.

In the instrument cluster settings, there is a toggle to turn off the power-lift-gate entirely, but AFAIK there is no setting to disable the foot-sensor only.

You could probably go low-tech and just put tape over the sensor(s) under the rear of the car. I don't know the sensor type, but if it's ultrasound you might need to use thick foam tape.

Day 8 of car being at dealership, dealer calls and says everything is resolved with the DRL, and a TSB for the rear hatch glass was done, but couldn't re-produce the rear gate opening when the passenger door was actuated.

Wife goes to pick up car is putting son into car opens driver side passenger door, hatch opens. Now its repeatable every 2-3 actuation of door, and tailgate opens. Disabled the kick sensor and it still does it. Techs have no clue other than it will take a long time to figure out. Car has been at dealership for 8 days of the 14 days I've owned it. I'm completely disappointed, disgusted, and frustrated.

Picked up car after dealer/Lincoln gave up trying to fix since they couldn't re-produce it after observing and re-producing on 5-2. DRL was working, but while picking up car as able to get the hatch to open uncommanded with a few actuations of the driver side passenger door and 3rd row access button. Decided to take it home and try to sort out the sequence that would produce the result every time. Next day, the passenger DRL is out again. Guess I'm going to take it back to the dealer.

For future reference there is a TSB 18-2089 for vehicles built on or before 1-29-2018 titled "Liftgate Window Glass Opens And/Or Power Liftgate Opens/Closes Uncommanded While In Park" . They had performed this TSB and it did not resolve anything on my unit.

Picked up car after dealer/Lincoln gave up trying to fix since they couldn't re-produce it after observing and re-producing on 5-2. DRL was working, but while picking up car as able to get the hatch to open uncommanded with a few actuations of the driver side passenger door and 3rd row access button. Decided to take it home and try to sort out the sequence that would produce the result every time. Next day, the passenger DRL is out again. Guess I'm going to take it back to the dealer.

For future reference there is a TSB 18-2089 for vehicles built on or before 1-29-2018 titled "Liftgate Window Glass Opens And/Or Power Liftgate Opens/Closes Uncommanded While In Park" . They had performed this TSB and it did not resolve anything on my unit.

My Navigator has started doing this. DRL's are fine but my Liftgate Window Randomly opens while I am in park. Just called my dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea what the build date of your vehicle is?

January. I called the dealer they asked if I had a 360 camera which I do and they said they would get back to me. I am coming from a Tesla X (total garbage) got sick of it being in the service center all the time but Tesla's service is out standing. Lincoln Service is a little disappointing but my Navigator doesn't break down every other day so I am overall happy I have a car that I can rely on other than this slight gremlin in my electronics. Not bashing Tesla or Lincoln I also have an S which is rock solid but I love my Navigator!

Edited by CaliNav

• 8 months later...

Hmm.   well i think im in the right thread.   Here's my issue. 

I have a 16-y-o son who uses a wheelchair, but doesnt actually need to sit in it while driving.   he can transition.   BUT it's getting harder for us to get the actual chair (without him) into the back of the vehicle.

So i thought a powered or manual rear ramp was the way to go.   Dont really need (at least not yet) something that can hold 500+ pounds -- more like 80lbs.    and as I said he can transition from the chair to a 2nd row seat easily enough.

i'm having trouble finding a solution on this.   Dont really need a lowered floor or a kneeling suspension, certainly not accessible controls, just a ramp to get the empty chair into the vehicle without my wife or parents having to lift it manually.

In the meantime, i am obsessed about the aviator, and my wife wants a navigator.    neither of us want a van.  (*any van).   Black label is my thought.

suggestions?

3 hours ago, Michael Kerr said:

Hmm.   well i think im in the right thread.   Here's my issue. 

I have a 16-y-o son who uses a wheelchair, but doesnt actually need to sit in it while driving.   he can transition.   BUT it's getting harder for us to get the actual chair (without him) into the back of the vehicle.

So i thought a powered or manual rear ramp was the way to go.   Dont really need (at least not yet) something that can hold 500+ pounds -- more like 80lbs.    and as I said he can transition from the chair to a 2nd row seat easily enough.

i'm having trouble finding a solution on this.   Dont really need a lowered floor or a kneeling suspension, certainly not accessible controls, just a ramp to get the empty chair into the vehicle without my wife or parents having to lift it manually.

In the meantime, i am obsessed about the aviator, and my wife wants a navigator.    neither of us want a van.  (*any van).   Black label is my thought.

suggestions?

Hi Michael.  I would strongly recommend starting your own new thread.  The title of this thread is "2018 Reserve L -DRL out, Trunk Opens on its own, 1 week old". It has absolutely nothing to do with your question, so is less likely to attract a reader who may be able to help you.

Good luck.

On 5/16/2018 at 5:53 PM, chuckinbeast said:

Any idea what the build date of your vehicle is?

My 2018 BL lift gate opens spontaneously occasionally when parked and locked. Build date is May '18. I will check on the service bulletin when I take it for service soon.

• 10 months later...