10 Speed Auto

Rich B.

It was designed jointly but each mfr builds their own version so there can and probably are differences. The software is completely different.

To illustrate the point - GM and Ford also jointly designed the 9 speed FWD tranny but Ford chose to mfr it as a 8 speed while GM stuck with the 9 speed.

• Like 1

Yes, they are basically the same designs. Ford looked at third gear, 3.01 and realized third was too close to 2nd so they eliminated the 3.01 ratio and made their third, 2.45, which is gm's 4th gear. Overall ratio spread is the same between GM and Ford, 7.56 to 1 so top gear is the same at .62 to 1.

There is a little of this in the Ford/GM Ten speed rear wheel drive design too where one of the gears is really too close to the ratio of the gear before it so the step is less in the middle of the range than at the top end.

I guess, the way the ECU is programmed, it may just skip the gear when not needed.

Edselford

• Like 2

Thank you on answers. Reminds me the '12 Bosses had a skip gear feature for easy driving. Was solinoid activated omission and many disconnected feature. '13's didn't have it, this was on 6 speed manual. Getting used to the hill clutch assist, not bad when expecting it. Wait, meaning after 6 years under 3K on OD still; summer driving only lol.

Edited by Rich B.

Except after mine shifts 1-3-5 it then shifts 6-7-8-9-10. :)

That’s what my Ecoboost Mustang does when the transmission is in Drive and the Driving Mode is set to Normal. Put the transmission in Sport or the Driving Mode in Sport+ and it doesn’t skip gears.

• Like 1