Baby V8 Ecoboost?

actually radicalX...more people would buy the v8 if it were more affordable.....fuel economy isnt of prime importance when it comes to Performance oriented vehicles....and , Im gonna yell it ...SCREW AUTONOMY...there, got that off my chest.

• Like 1

I think most people would stand for a slightly longer recharge - say 20-30 minutes max. But not 2+ hours.

Exactly. If they can charge it in the length of time it takes to stop for dinner during a road trip, I think a majority of people would tolerate that.

Im with you though, I think the PHEV option is the future. It really is the best of both worlds.

The V8 configuration is cool, but it spends a lot of gallons of fuel, which pushes the Mustang away from many rational consumers. We also know that the future is energy efficiency, electricity and autonomous vehicles

Yet most of the world, even where smaller engines are the norm buy the 5.0 in the Mustang. The 5.0 worldwide beats 2.3 Ecoboost sales, even though the Ecoboost is 25-30% cheaper! The world has spoken. They want V8's in the Mustang....

• Like 1

The V8 configuration is cool, but it spends a lot of gallons of fuel, which pushes the Mustang away from many rational consumers. We also know that the future is energy efficiency, electricity and autonomous vehicles

I don't think it's the fuel economy. I just got an 18 GT and have a 10 SHO. They both get about 20-22 MPG in mixed driving. I could get 26 MPG highway on long trips in the SHO. What people DON'T like about the Mustang is the rear seat. At 6'2", there is 0 leg room behind me and I like an upright seating position so not much recline in the seat. When we drove one at an auto show, the wife had to ride in back, at 5'3", her head was bouncing off the roof.

But damn, the Mustang sound is intoxicating and it's sexy as hell.

itguy09, I dont think, like Fuel economy, and or the V8, anyone buys a Mustang for the rear seat room ( or lack of it ) which is gratuitous to say the least....

I can tell you first hand that I have to move my seat up to give rear passengers a decent amount of legroom.

Of course, I don't have an headroom issue with the top down ;)

• Like 1

I thought there was talk of a 4.X engine, I believe 4.8L, being built in a Canadian plant, but I havent heard much since.

I for one would like to see an eco V8, I think that is what should have been in the current generation Raptor.

• Like 1

itguy09, I dont think, like Fuel economy, and or the V8, anyone buys a Mustang for the rear seat room ( or lack of it ) which is gratuitous to say the least....

True - it wasn't really a consideration for us - it's me the wife and dog. But it would be nice for something at least usable for an adult in a pinch. I think my 86 and 97 Mustangs had more back seat room though.

But the rest of the car more than makes up for the lack of room and that's why I own another vehicle.

The average ICE range is 300+ miles historically. Until EV's are available with a 300+ range at an attractive/competitive price point there will be continued buyer resistance.

You also need to be in and out of the charging station in 5 minutes tops.

I think most people would stand for a slightly longer recharge - say 20-30 minutes max. But not 2+ hours.

I can't picture a Woman feeling safe knowing they're unable to leave for 20-30 minutes at some lonely spot late at night. They would never buy such a vehicle.

Range and cost are holding back EV sales. Once you can get 200+ mile range for $30K theyll become a lot more popular.

I do think PHEVs will be the predominant architecture though. You get most of the benefits of an EV most of the time but without any range anxiety.

PHEVs would be fantastic once they get 50-75 miles on electric only. When they only get 5-10 miles on electricity now its kind of silly.

actually radicalX...more people would buy the v8 if it were more affordable.....fuel economy isnt of prime importance when it comes to Performance oriented vehicles....and , Im gonna yell it ...SCREW AUTONOMY...there, got that off my chest.

This is the way most Mustang people feel.

"Cruising down the highway fast not slow

Ninety miles an hour in my five point o

People waving at me cause they know who I am

Alpine stereo blasting out a jam"

I can't picture a Woman feeling safe knowing they're unable to leave for 20-30 minutes at some lonely spot late at night. They would never buy such a vehicle.

That would only happen on long trips where you can plan out your stops. Some people won't like it period but I think a 20-30 minute full charge would satisfy most potential EV buyers.

PHEVs would be fantastic once they get 50-75 miles on electric only. When they only get 5-10 miles on electricity now its kind of silly.

I thought most PHEVs were around 20 mile range. I expect at least 30 from Aviator, maybe as much as 50. The problem with older PHEVs is most were built on a regular chassis and battery placement was difficult. With a platform engineered for hybrids this won't be an issue.

I have had the first gen Ecoboost 3.5, the 3.0 Twin Turbo and the 5.0 Coyote. I love the low end torque of the turbo engines. They are great in heavy vehicles with AWD. However, I also love the howl of the Coyote at high RPM. Best of both worlds might just be a twin turbo V8!

• Like 1

Why does she have to have it fully charged? If 20-30 minutes gets you 300 miles, 5 minutes would likely get you 75 or more. That's enough to find someplace less lonely, no?

Why does she have to have it fully charged? If 20-30 minutes gets you 300 miles, 5 minutes would likely get you 75 or more. That's enough to find someplace less lonely, no?

I would not want my wife to be there 5 minutes. Our rule when my wife travels alone is; at half tank start looking for a safe place to fuel. I don't want her out of the vehicle unless it's well lit, lots of people, and in the better parts of a town. This is from a woman who has a concealed carry permit & is quite accomplished at handling her SW M&P 9mm.

• Like 1

That would only happen on long trips where you can plan out your stops. Some people won't like it period but I think a 20-30 minute full charge would satisfy most potential EV buyers.

Not saying they're the best example to follow, but Tesla's nav system will route your trip through cities with charging stations (well, Tesla Superchargers).

I would not want my wife to be there 5 minutes. Our rule when my wife travels alone is; at half tank start looking for a safe place to fuel. I don't want her out of the vehicle unless it's well lit, lots of people, and in the better parts of a town. This is from a woman who has a concealed carry permit & is quite accomplished at handling her SW M&P 9mm.

Then why would it be different with an electric car? Same deal. And it takes a good 5 minutes to fuel up too.

We're walking to electrification and you guys expecting V8 from a line Ford-focused efficiency. We need to think of an electri Ford GT , in an Mustang GT hybrid plugin and not to the past as the Cadillac does with the CT-6 which, by not selling well, decided to put a V8

The world, particularly the US car market, is currently in a "nostalgia" or "retro" mode, where we are trying to go back to the way things used to be. But as the old saying goes, "I lived through the 'good old days', they weren't so good!". As the price of gas creeps up (over $3.00 / gallon this summer?) and the manufacturers get better at electrification and squeezing ever more out of I4 and V6 engines, this bring back the V8s mania shall pass. I still don't see V8s being very common by 2025 MY. The rest of the world will keep marching forward on technology. V8s won't be necessary or practical by the mid 20s.

Yes I had V8s for daily drivers for many years up until a few years ago. I am quite impressed with my current turbo 4. Low end torque is amazing. yes I miss the sound of the V8. Buts that is all I miss. The sound.

Edited by Tico