"Holy Grail" Platform for new Focus

"For example, in many markets, we won't have a price leader where we would have in the past," Jim Farley, head of global markets, said at the event. That would cut the need to make cheap wheel trims, for example.

No more cheap Focus S models for North America I'm guessing.

• Like 1

From Automotive News. An article on the platform used on the new Focus.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180416/OEM04/180419836/ford-focus-holy-grail-platform

Two things stood out, "Ford said it has reduced the number of orderable configurations on the U.S. Focus from 360 to 26" and "For example, in many markets, we won't have a price leader where we would have in the past"

I suspect new configurations, are going to closely mirror the Ecosport. 1 or 2 option packages per trim and more window sticker invoiced dealer installed accessories.

Edited by jasonj80

Two things stood out, "Ford said it has reduced the number of orderable configurations on the U.S. Focus from 360 to 26" and "For example, in many markets, we won't have a price leader where we would have in the past"

I suspect new configurations, are going to closely mirror the Ecosport. 1 or 2 option packages per trim and more window sticker invoiced dealer installed accessories.

How about it being flexible enough to support the Fiesta to the Edge?

• Like 1

so long crank rear windows!

I just rented a 16' Penske van from Home Depot. It was a cheapo GMC piece of trash. It took me about 30 seconds of searching for the window button to realize it had crank windows (the crank was hidden way down on the driver's side by the armrest and my knee). It was very awkward to reach it in the first place and even more awkward using it.

#firstworldproblems

I just rented a 16' Penske van from Home Depot. It was a cheapo GMC piece of trash. It took me about 30 seconds of searching for the window button to realize it had crank windows (the crank was hidden way down on the driver's side by the armrest and my knee). It was very awkward to reach it in the first place and even more awkward using it.

#firstworldproblems

Did you know the base S Focus has power front windows and crank rear windows?

No but nothing surprises me on a S model anything. I wish Ford would kill them altogether and let Nissan go after those buyers with Versa.

Once the current Focus ends in a few weeks I believe that leaves the E-Series as the only thing left in the Ford lineup with available crank windows.

#firstworldproblems

Those trucks always smell funny too....

Well that confirms this is also the architecture for NG Edge...and presumably Fusion if they keep that. This is the first time I've heard this platform referred to as a flexible platform like MQB, they didn't connect those dots previously.

I'm always very dubious about a vehicle architecture engineered for cost being scaled as far as up as Edge which will cost 3X as much as its cheapest platform mate. But, we'll see what happens.

Edited by Assimilator

Im assuming thats why its back door only. Theres a pretty big flat area on the back door panel for the crank. Theres no feasible place for one on the front door.

Reminds me of the 96-07 Taurus. You could get a Taurus with manual locks but all had power windows. The G Taurus had manual locks and no tape deck and black molding. Upgrade to a GL and you got those things and paint on the molding. Even the 00+ was the same way but I dont remember if it went trim level lx,se,sel,sho or something different.

Well that confirms this is also the architecture for NG Edge...and presumably Fusion if they keep that. This is the first time I've heard this platform referred to as a flexible platform like MQB, they didn't connect those dots previously.

I'm always very dubious about a vehicle architecture engineered for cost being scaled as far as up as Edge which will cost 3X as much as its cheapest platform mate. But, we'll see what happens.

If you engineer a platform to accommodate a variety of sizes from the get-go, no reason the small model can’t be as good as a larger one.

No matter, this is the future that Ford (and probably all manufacturers) will hang their hat on. Dedicated platforms (like the current Mustang) will become the exception, not the rule.

If you engineer a platform to accommodate a variety of sizes from the get-go, no reason the small model cant be as good as a larger one.

No matter, this is the future that Ford (and probably all manufacturers) will hang their hat on. Dedicated platforms (like the current Mustang) will become the exception, not the rule.

Even the Mustang is moving to a share platform.

If you engineer a platform to accommodate a variety of sizes from the get-go, no reason the small model can’t be as good as a larger one.

Looks like the Mustang won't be immune either to this platform consolation either.

Looks like the Mustang won't be immune either to this platform consolation either.

It never really has been, until the 2015-up variants. Pony cars in general are parts-bin specials...in the Mustang's case, sharing bits from Falcons, Pintos, Fairmonts (for-freakin'-ever), the LS/TBird (DEW98), and even the current car (S-550) is technically a massive evolution of the '05-'14 variants (IIRC).

I guess the next platform'd better be pretty special....

Edited by ZanatWork

I'll welcome almost anything that simplifies the ordering process!