Turn off the Auto Start/Stop - HELP

We don't mind the engine spinning down at stoplights, as it's no different than the quiet silence of our Lexus 450h or Tesla S.

What I don't like is the inconsistency start/stop creates with the A/C temperature. When the engine stops, I notice the lack of cold air from the A/C pretty quickly when it's warm out here in sunny California.

I want to just set the temp and forget it, like I have in other cars we own or have owned (audi, bmw, tesla, lexus, honda). Between the engine start/stop and what feels like a less-aggressive automatic system, in the Navigator I feel like I have to toggle Max-A/C quite alot to keep the car cool. I also think I avoid tweaking the temps because that obnoxious full-screen overlay makes it feel so heavy.

I don't think start/stop can really be compared to a hybrid spinning down the engine, as the hybrid has zero lag or startup rumble.

Edited by Dave_SF
  • Like 1

auto on full (3) - does that mean Auto with 3 led bars for max fan speed? What temperature do you have set? Are you in single mode or dual mode? Press and hole the Auto button to go back to single mode. Dual mode gives you different set temps for driver and passenger.

I've always been able to maintain a comfortable temperature by keeping it between 70-73 on other Ford and Lincoln vehicles.

auto on full (3) - does that mean Auto with 3 led bars for max fan speed? What temperature do you have set? Are you in single mode or dual mode? Press and hole the Auto button to go back to single mode. Dual mode gives you different set temps for driver and passenger.

I've always been able to maintain a comfortable temperature by keeping it between 70-73 on other Ford and Lincoln vehicles.

Yes, Auto on 3 LED bars for max fan speed. All 3 zones (L,R,Rear) set to 69 or 70. When it's very sunny, with the black interior, it just never feels like the car gets to a cool 70 degrees unless I hit up Max-A/C.

I just did some testing, and if I put it on Auto-3 bars, and turn the temps to LO, it does spin up the fans and blast some air the way Max-A/C does, so I may just need to be more aggressive with my temperature settings on hot days and put it down to 65 or something. I haven't had this issue with other cars. I'm used to setting my temp to 70 and pretty much never touching it.

Yes, Auto on 3 LED bars for max fan speed. All 3 zones (L,R,Rear) set to 69 or 70. When it's very sunny, with the black interior, it just never feels like the car gets to a cool 70 degrees unless I hit up Max-A/C.

I just did some testing, and if I put it on Auto-3 bars, and turn the temps to LO, it does spin up the fans and blast some air the way Max-A/C does, so I may just need to be more aggressive with my temperature settings on hot days and put it down to 65 or something. I haven't had this issue with other cars. I'm used to setting my temp to 70 and pretty much never touching it.

I understand what you are saying. In my truck 69-71 is where it stays for me. I get in some other vehicles and I have to turn it to 65-67 to get it comfortable. I was in a Nissan Rental the other day and I had to turn it down to 65 to get what I wanted.

• 7 months later...

Reviving the old thread for new owners, such as myself.  I don't like this, and I've been looking at many different forums on this.  Below 2 options are without opening your center console (does anyone know how to open it up?) nor doing it via software modifications.

1) You can disconnect the accessory battery cable from the battery.  I can confirm this works, however, I am not sure what else it turns off.  But it works.

2) there is a connector you  can disconnect by the brake, which turns it off.  Well, I believe it is a sensor that tells A.S.S. the brake is fully engaged and it can turn off the engine.  If A.S.S. doesn't know break is engaged, then it won't engage the A.S.S.  This option, I have not tried yet, but will do that this week and will report back.

Some like it, some don't, some dont' really care either way...its all personal preference...and I happened to fall under "don't like"...where as wife falls under "don't care either way".

On 1/7/2019 at 5:17 PM, Houston Sparty said:

Reviving the old thread for new owners, such as myself.  I don't like this, and I've been looking at many different forums on this.  Below 2 options are without opening your center console (does anyone know how to open it up?) nor doing it via software modifications.

1) You can disconnect the accessory battery cable from the battery.  I can confirm this works, however, I am not sure what else it turns off.  But it works.

2) there is a connector you  can disconnect by the brake, which turns it off.  Well, I believe it is a sensor that tells A.S.S. the brake is fully engaged and it can turn off the engine.  If A.S.S. doesn't know break is engaged, then it won't engage the A.S.S.  This option, I have not tried yet, but will do that this week and will report back.

Some like it, some don't, some dont' really care either way...its all personal preference...and I happened to fall under "don't like"...where as wife falls under "don't care either way".

#2 option works, but you lose driving selection such as Excite or Conserve.  It works, just pops up an error message in the dash.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:22 PM, HofstraJet said:

I have tried it a few times and still don't like it. I just got into the habit of turning that off and turning auto hold on every time I start the car. Makes me feel like a fighter pilot. ?

Me and you both lol  it’s called a start up sequence and once it’s habit it’s way easier than any of the other fixes I’ve seen.

• 4 weeks later...

The reason the setting on the button isn't saves / remembered or default off is because of the way the EPA tests. The whole point is to get 1 extra MPG in the city loop test which is big for the CAFE ratings for Ford. When the EPA tests they test the vehicle with all default settings enabled. If a setting can be set that reduces the fuel mileage and remembered between starts they will test with it enabled. In other words in order to get the benefits in the EPA test they had to design it in such a way that everytime you start the vehicle its on. Just be thankful you can turn it off. Some manufactures don't even have an off switch.

Matt

This happens a lot.  The 2000 Lincoln LS V8 was the first Ford product with SelectShift on the 5 speed auto.   If they allowed manual shift mode to start in 1st gear the EPA tests at the time would not allow it to get to 5th gear (only 4th) and that triggered a gas guzzler tax.  So they had to program it to start in 2nd until the EPA fixed their tests a couple of years later.  Other mfrs had the same issue.   My buddy the now retired tranny engineer was smart though - he programmed it so that if you gave it more than 60% throttle at launch it would downshift to 1st immediately.  Since the EPA tests never did that it worked.

I would prefer the ability to turn these things on or off permanently but I understand why the EPA has those rules.

Personally I got used to it on my F150 and I actually get annoyed now when it doesn't shut off.