Turn off the Auto Start/Stop - HELP

I know there is a switch to press in the center console to turn off the auto start/stop. There is also a setting in the speedo display menu. I set that to OFF and then tried to save it but it seems to reset every time the car is back on. What is the point of the setting in the display that takes multiple steps to get to and can only be done while the car is not moving but it only does the same thing as the button on the center console? This seems pointless. I even tried to add it to the memory setting once I cleared it but that didn't work either. What's the point??

I have it on my new F150 and I like it. If you get past the idea that you don’t like it and try it you’ll probably find that it’s not all that bad and it does save gas. I’m getting 21 mpg with the 3.5LEB - way better than I expected.

You can put a dummy plug into the trailer wiring or you might be able to do it with Forscan. But honestly it’s easier to just get used to it and enjoy the fuel savings.

• Like 2

I know there is a switch to press in the center console to turn off the auto start/stop. There is also a setting in the speedo display menu. I set that to OFF and then tried to save it but it seems to reset every time the car is back on. What is the point of the setting in the display that takes multiple steps to get to and can only be done while the car is not moving but it only does the same thing as the button on the center console? This seems pointless. I even tried to add it to the memory setting once I cleared it but that didn't work either. What's the point??

If you do a search for "disable auto stop/start," you will find a number of solutions. Most of the people I know who don't like it just get in the habit of pressing the button at start up.

Oh and yes I have seen the "fixes" one to plug in a trailer plug to make the truck think a trailer is hooked up perm. Or the second to get a programmer and edit the computer. Both can work but you would think with an almost 100k vehicle you could just shut it off with an option in the menu.

I left it on a few times and I still think it is annoying. I know oils and technology has changed a little but when I was first learning about engines we were told (and shown) that most of the engines wear comes at startup when all the oil is down. Now granted things have come a long way and surely all the oil doesn't drain down to the oil pan in a few seconds but depending on how long you stop for it might. From what I read you could save upto around $4 a week using stop start. For the $208 a year in fuel savings (or less I would guess) I would rather have a piece of mind knowing I don't have as much wear on the starter or engine. I guess I am becoming a stubborn old man but I don't like it.

I left it on a few times and I still think it is annoying. I know oils and technology has changed a little but when I was first learning about engines we were told (and shown) that most of the engines wear comes at startup when all the oil is down. Now granted things have come a long way and surely all the oil doesn't drain down to the oil pan in a few seconds but depending on how long you stop for it might. From what I read you could save upto around $4 a week using stop start. For the $208 a year in fuel savings (or less I would guess) I would rather have a piece of mind knowing I don't have as much wear on the starter or engine. I guess I am becoming a stubborn old man but I don't like it.

COLD STARTUP! Stop/start won't work if the engine is not up to temp, too cold outside, etc.

Starters are a lot better than they were 20 years ago.

I've had it on my 2015 F150 and I have the opposite reaction, I want it to be MORE active. Too many red lights with the engine still running when I think it should be off.

COLD STARTUP! Stop/start won't work if the engine is not up to temp, too cold outside, etc.

Starters are a lot better than they were 20 years ago.

I've had it on my 2015 F150 and I have the opposite reaction, I want it to be MORE active. Too many red lights with the engine still running when I think it should be off.

Also - battery condition, A/C, etc. - there is a long list of things that will prevent it from shutting off.

I’m with you though - I get disappointed when it doesn’t shut off sometimes.

Ok I just left it on for a few errands. One time it actually shut off as I pulled into a parking spot, I then hit PARK and it turned back on and then I had to shut it off. So that is normal? Even if everyone loves the feature all I am saying is there should be an option to shut it off perm. If it is so great why does it not work in all driving modes or when a trailer is connected? How would the people who like the feature feel if every time you got in your truck you had to hit a button to turn it on? A simple setting/option is all I am asking for. I have colored interior lights for Christ's sake I don't have to pick the color I want every time.

Yes an option to disable it permanently would be better, but I'm pretty sure they don't do that because then they couldn't use it towards EPA fuel economy testing.

It always runs when it's in Park because if it's in park and you want to shut it off, you can do that yourself. There are at least a dozen if not more things that it takes into account when deciding when and how long it can safely shut off the engine.

Just forget about it and drive, or get Forscan and turn it off.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Yes an option to disable it permanently would be better, but I'm pretty sure they don't do that because then they couldn't use it towards EPA fuel economy testing.

It always runs when it's in Park because if it's in park and you want to shut it off, you can do that yourself. There are at least a dozen if not more things that it takes into account when deciding when and how long it can safely shut off the engine.

Just forget about it and drive, or get Forscan and turn it off.

The bolded portion above, IMHO, is why they have this feature - so they can boast about the fuel economy ratings in marketing materials to compare to other vehicles.

The bolded portion above, IMHO, is why they have this feature - so they can boast about the fuel economy ratings in marketing materials to compare to other vehicles.

But it does actually work in real life driving. It’s not just a marketing thing.

Sure it works but it saves pennies depending on how much you drive a year it might be only a small amount of fuel per year.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/fact-861-february-23-2015-idle-fuel-consumption-selected-gasoline-and-diesel-vehicles

Maybe 1/2 gallon(ish) per hour of idle so overall per year I might save maybe $2 a week (but probably even less) so for me it isn't worth it. It might work for others but I am glad I got a programmer and turned it off perm. All I wanted was a setting. Now my starter, battery, and my engine won't have as much wear on it. So even if that barely makes a difference now mine will last even longer, and I don't feel like my car stalls out. I would also guess if anything remote starting your car probably wastes more fuel than before it existed and people just got in and drove to warm up (or cool off) their cars.

I actually like it, but it does change your behavior when driving which is probably a good thing for economy. It means I do less creeping at a light so it stays off and I tend to give the engine a second to spool up before I hit the gas even if it's not needed. In some cars it actually eliminates that rough I4 idling at a light, something I notice mostly in cars like the Escape. For the most part, the smaller the engine the less intrusive it seems to be since the startup is quieter.

Edited by Assimilator

I think my big issue with this feature is the immediate panic that sets in when the vehicle turns off, this taps into deep repressed issues of driving the cars i owned in my 20s that could fail (and often did) at any moment. Dont get me wrong, I love my classic carburetored car and the planet but its a feeling I guess will take a while to get over lol