2019 TOYOTA RAV4 FIRST LOOK

silvrsvt

Many Detroit cars from the 2000's are falling apart or in junkyards, but the Escape usually isn't one of them, they seem to be very long-lived, especially the I4s. Very few of the Duratec V6's survive today, very expensive repairs doomed those guys.

Edited by Assimilator

Many Detroit cars from the 2000's are falling apart or in junkyards, but the Escape usually isn't one of them, they seem to be very long-lived, especially the I4s. Very few of the Duratec V6's survive today, very expensive repairs doomed those guys.

My Mustang was still almost new when I got rid of it at 11 years old with 120K on it. The last couple years it was in a garage, but it had a serious accident after a year, but never had any issues with it.

I know this is a Ford forum and this is not a popular Michigan observation, but Ford has a long history of premature rusting in many of their vehicles. Everything they made in the 80's and 90's rusted MUCH sooner than their Japanese counterparts. GM also had excellent rust control while Ford and Chrysler noticeably failed to live long under the same horrible Michigan conditions (Windstar and Taurus were the absolute worst rust buckets). Ford seemed to finally nail it in the 2000's which is something I've noticed the most with Escape and Focus still hanging in with minimal rust after 15+ years of service. But it's not uncommon to see 20+ year old 90's GM vehicles with just minor rust in Michigan running with 200,000+ miles on those unstoppable 3800 series engines.

At the time Fords was really good at shaping sheetmetal in sexy new ways, but it was also a lesson in why bold Detroit design became associated with poor quality and everybody shifted over to the imports. It took a long time for style and quality to match-up again so we could have both.

Edited by Assimilator

Yeah but all of those 90s GMs have no paint left on them, as well as a HOST of electrical gremlins that have no reason to exist. Tell me the last time you saw a 90s GM minivan with turn signals that functioned properly.

Also not true. Ive seen plenty of rust bucket S-10s and Blazers/Jimmys running around. My mother in law actually just traded her shitbox rustbucket for an Escape in November.

My 91 Explorer was a rust bucket when I got rid of it. The rocker panels were completely gone. It seemed like a common issue on them. My 2003 Escape looks good from a distance, but is rusted through under the plastic cladding. My 2010 Flex has started to rust at the drain hole on the back of the tailgate, which really sucks because otherwise she looks pristine.