Future Continental to have suicide doors

Apparently, this was announced today to dealers attending the NADA in Las Vegas.

LAS VEGAS -- Lincoln plans to add suicide doors to a future version of the Continental sedan in a move that harks back to the nameplate's iconic past, dealers learned Saturday at the 2018 NADA show here. During its annual make meeting Saturday, Lincoln showed dealers a photo of the Continental with the rear-hinged doors and disclosed plans to build the model, according to multiple dealers in the room who didn't want to be identified. The move is part of an effort to demonstrate the brand's commitment to its car lineup. The company did not discuss timing or details about the doors.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180324/RETAIL06/180329751/lincoln-plans-suicide-doors-on-the-continental-sedan?cciid=email-autonews-blast

• Like 1

Haha...I remember a few weeks back when everyone was giving that guy sh!t over that rumor. oops!

thats what happens when youre not smart enough to know that Motor Trend is entertainment, not news.

But I think we are talking about 2 different people, because Im referencing a thread from last week.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

I certainly hope they retain the Continental nameplate and attach it to a CD6 sedan. In reading all of the posts on Facebook and other places, many people were disappointed that the current Conti didn't have suicide doors. Of course many on those forums are clamoring for them to bring back the Town Car.....

• 4 weeks later...

When I purchased my MKZ a few weeks ago my salesman said the Lincoln rep was in there telling them that the Continental was getting Suicide doors to up the sales. I am curious if they will be true suicide doors or if they will be like extended cab trucks where you have to open teh front door first before opening the back one. I see some serious safety concerns preventing a true suicide door coming from the factory but who knows. Maybe lincoln can pull it off. I will trade my MKZ back in a heart beat for a Conti with Suicide doors.

When I purchased my MKZ a few weeks ago my salesman said the Lincoln rep was in there telling them that the Continental was getting Suicide doors to up the sales. I am curious if they will be true suicide doors or if they will be like extended cab trucks where you have to open teh front door first before opening the back one. I see some serious safety concerns preventing a true suicide door coming from the factory but who knows. Maybe lincoln can pull it off. I will trade my MKZ back in a heart beat for a Conti with Suicide doors.

I don't think the extended cab concept would fly on a luxury car. They would likely have a safety release that prevents the rear doors opening while the car is in motion.

If they just re-engineered the current car to add suicide doors, it would be a complete waste of time and money in my opinion and not address the car's real shortcomings.

However, if they do create a new Continental on CD6 with RWD/AWD, 10 speed transmission, the appropriate engine, more expressive styling and suicide doors it would prove they are serious about being a player in the luxury sedan market.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...