Ford to reveal future product plans on Thursday (Bronco under cover and a baby Bronco!)

Id be shocked if they killed Continental and MKZ without at least one CD6 replacement sedan.

I thought Continental was mainly created for the China market anyway - how is it doing there?

Funny you say that.. I hate the "insider" articles but found this today about no Continental replacement.

https://jalopnik.com/no-one-is-buying-the-lincoln-continental-1823778718

Just looking at the numbers:

2017 Sales
Cadillac CT6 10,542

Cadillac CTS 10,344
Cadillac XTS 16,275

Lincoln Continental 12,012
Lincoln MKZ 27,387

So I'd like to know why they think the Continental is doing so "terribly" in a market that doesn't like sedans as much as it did?

• Like 1

I don't know why people are freaking out about a possible Continental sedan demise...it has gone in and out of production before....nothing new here.

Well it just went into production last year-that raises some eyelids.

Its not selling terribly vs its competition.

If anything I can see larger sedan (bigger then MKZ and smaller then the Conti) and maybe a smaller sedan based on the NG Focus that could replace both of them

• Like 1

Well it just went into production last year-that raises some eyelids.

Its not selling terribly vs its competition.

If anything I can see larger sedan (bigger then MKZ and smaller then the Conti) and maybe a smaller sedan based on the NG Focus that could replace both of them

You'd still need something bigger for the China Market. I also wonder if there will be more Lincoln Sedans in China that are just N/A here.

You'd still need something bigger for the China Market. I also wonder if there will be more Lincoln Sedans in China that are just N/A here.

Why would they do that? Lincoln's stated goal is to reach 300k a year by 2021 - and that's 200k from NA, 100k RoW. They'll need every single copy they can sell, and then some, to get there.

But will the Chinese market start following the trends that the rest of the world is following?

Maybe they will start switching over to Chauffeur driven SUV's.(They do like Minivans of all things) Going to sound semi-bad comment but shorter stout people have a hard time getting in and out of a large SUV back seat vs a sedan that is the same length.

Articles coming off press now that embargo has passed. Check out the images! GT500 teaser and is that the um... Bronco!!! Looks like 2 door. Also, architectures officially confirmed with list of layouts that we already speculated and known such as front drive unibody, rear drive unibody, etc.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/ford-announces-off-road-suv-below-bronco-new-escape-and-explorer/

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2018/03/15/ford-plans-trucks-suvs-hybrids/32962275/

Edited by pffan1990

The company didn’t outline which models it will cut over the next few years, but the executives spoke only of plans for the Mustang and one other sedan outside of the new trucks, SUVs and commercial vehicles.

So does this equate to a CD6 Lincoln Sedan or 2 door sports coupe? Maybe Continental is really dead.

The company will bring in four new nameplates in that same time frame, including an unnamed off-road utility vehicle in addition to the 2020 Bronco.

<cough> Everest Replacement <cough>

Bronco, New Everest, Aviator and the new short C utility?

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

Just looking at the numbers:

2017 Sales

Cadillac CT6 10,542

Cadillac CTS 10,344

Cadillac XTS 16,275

Lincoln Continental 12,012

Lincoln MKZ 27,387

So I'd like to know why they think the Continental is doing so "terribly" in a market that doesn't like sedans as much as it did?

Edit :Kristen Lee is a hack ....that's why. She is the worst on Jalopnik. Reposting via reddit

Edited by jcartwright99
  • Like 1

So does this equate to a CD6 Lincoln Sedan or 2 door sports coupe? Maybe Continental is really dead.

Looks like it. Still good news though and that Bronco teaser! Wow. By the way, I now have to stand corrected with what I had previously been saying that Ford needed to share details of their products the next two years. You had said they should only announce when needed or when close to reveals of the said projects. I now agree with you. Hackett's presentation was fantastic from what I read and now gives me hope for Ford and Lincoln's futures. They mentioned TWO new SUVs of Lincoln to be shown at NY next week. Aviator is a given but I'm curious what else since Nautilus and MKC were already shown. The fact that architectures were finally confirmed which more details will be discussed later on. I'm confident that stocks will now go up and be better. So I wanted to say publically that you were right and I was wrong in our discussions here.

<cough> Everest Replacement <cough>

Bronco, New Everest, Aviator and the new short C utility?

Remember, this is only a 2-year product window too.

Lincoln will unveil its new Aviator midsize sport/utility at the New York International Auto Show later this month, but Hinrichs’ remarks were centered on Ford Motor Company’s Ford brand, although the new architecture strategy will cover both brands. Ford is no longer calling them “platforms,” Hinrichs said. The architectures are:
  • Front-Wheel-Drive Unibody
  • Rear-Wheel-Drive Unibody
  • Commercial Unibody
  • Body-on-Frame
  • Battery-Electric

The new architecture strategy is part of Ford’s recently announced program to save $4 billion in engineering efficiencies.

This confirms CD6 being RWD.

• Like 3

They're building the C-segment utility that lost out early in the competing Bronco design phase, plus the actual Bronco.

New and more utilities across the lineup and under both brands... Hackett's first major product directive.

Is the red CUV the upcoming Explorer or the new C Bronco?