Ford to reveal future product plans on Thursday (Bronco under cover and a baby Bronco!)

You missed the point. They’re calling SUVs trucks and saying that Ford is only building trucks. Crossovers are much closer to sedans than trucks and they’ll have more crossovers than truck based SUVs. Even the Aviator and Explorer will be unibody and be closer to a crossover than a true SUV.

I hate how the media does that, uses inaccurate short hand and people assume things that just aren't true.

what's more, it's deliberate misreporting, self serving click bait, in the extreme. by people who should know better.

• Like 1

Couple thoughts on this:

Ford is playing to its strengths here-They almost always put out an outstanding Truck or CUV/SUV product

The sedan market is flooded with competition and short of a 1986 Taurus like miracle there isn't much in the way gain a large amount of market share

Trucks and CUV/SUVs have higher profit margins-I'm sure Ford is making more off the Ecosport then they would a Focus Sedan.

What happened to Germany or wherever theyre built in Europe?

Ford makes Mondeo in Valencia Spain. They can build other cars there.

I think the point about Mondeo is that Ford thinks sales of midsize sedans and wagon will disappear in Europe too as people migrate to CUVs.

One of the feature of European car market is that "company cars" accounts for nearly 2/3 of the volume in the midsize bracket due to various tax reasons. Ford/Opel/VW/PSA/Renault used to dominate this market but what happened over the last 10 years or so is that demand for "company cars" have steadily been eroded by luxury brands moving down the price bracket and emergence of CUVs as an alternative to wagons. Mondeo never reached to overall sales title but used to be the top selling midsize car in UK but it is now Mercedes C-class.

Non-luxury brand midsize sedan/wagons is going the way of non-luxury brand executive class sedans/wagons.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

So after 23 pages, maybe we can recap what Ford is set to reveal? As far as I know, these things were confirmed at the news conference:

1. Bronco will come in SWB 2 door and LWB 4 door version. Everyone is happy and civil war is averted.

2. "Short C" smaller CUV to slot in below Escape that "promises to have serious off road chops".

3. CD6 will indeed be RWD.

4. All FWD vehicles will converge on the same platform similar to VW's MQB / Toyota's TGNA / Renualt-Nissan's CFM / PSA's EMP / Honda's Civic

5. Aviator name is confirmed for CD6 Lincoln

6. Explorer ST is a go

7. Explorer hybrid (no clarification if it is PHEV Energi or just hybrid)

8. Escape hybrid (no clarification if it is PHEV Energi or just hybrid)

9. Bronco hybrid (no clarification if it is PHEV Energi or just hybrid)

10. First BEV from the new dedicated EV platform should go on sale in 2020

11. Hybrid system will be on multiple FWD models in addition to Escape (no clarification if it is parallel hybrid like the current C-Max/Fusion or the 48 volt system intended for European market)

12. New Transit already in the works

Previously disclosed plans but fully reaffirmed:

1. F-150 diesel

2. F-150 hybrid (no clarification if it is PHEV Energi or just hybrid)

3. Mustang hybrid will be a performance model not an economy offering ("V8 like torque")

4. Mustang will be CD6

5. There will be more Lincoln models

6. Mustang GT500

Things left unmentioned:

1. Midsize sedan

2. Edge migrating to CD6 or staying on FWD platform

3. Continental moving to CD6

Did I miss anything?

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 3

Silvrsvt, you’re right - there is a lot of competition in the mid-size car market, but there’s just as much in the SUV/CUV arena. Ford last month sold about 17,000 Fusions which is a 200,000 /year pace despite its neglect. Ford would be downright stupid to throw that away. The Fusion should be making more profits than most of the competition due to cheap labor. The mid-size mkt may be shrinking, but its still huge.

I remembered him saying a lot of vehicles were going to CD6 but didnt remember Edge specifically.

I would assume RWD. I dont see a need for CD6 to be FWD too when they have the other FWD platform.

I dont know, theres an awful lot of investment into the new 8F transmission for it to be limited to just the Focus and Escape as its main volume.

I say that because we dont know whats happening to the Fusion and the Lincolns arent going to ever bring as much volume as their ford counterparts

I dont know, theres an awful lot of investment into the new 8F transmission for it to be limited to just the Focus and Escape as its main volume.

I say that because we dont know whats happening to the Fusion and the Lincolns arent going to ever bring as much volume as their ford counterparts

It’s not just Focus and Escape. Should be at least 2 other utilities.

• Like 1

Worldwide though that is still 1,500,000+ units a year, and other products that get them. Might just not be in the US.

Edited by jasonj80

I think they could make a larger Escape on the FWD platform easier than they could make a FWD CD6 platform.

Perhaps the FWD version of CD6 was going to be for Fusion and Edge and now that they cancelled Fusion it was easier to make Edge and all other CD6 vehicles RWD.

• Like 1

Silvrsvt, you’re right - there is a lot of competition in the mid-size car market, but there’s just as much in the SUV/CUV arena. Ford last month sold about 17,000 Fusions which is a 200,000 /year pace despite its neglect. Ford would be downright stupid to throw that away. The Fusion should be making more profits than most of the competition due to cheap labor. The mid-size mkt may be shrinking, but its still huge.

That’s what I said, but if you stop and think about all the new products they’re bringing out there is nowhere to put them. So they cancel Fusion (at least temporarily) allowing Escape overflow and Focus to move to Hermosillo while the other plant gets Ecosport and the new small utility and possibly the new BEV utility. You can’t do all that with Fusion in the way. And given the price wars and heavy competition and shrinking market I don’t think Ford was making as much profit on Fusion as you might think.

That’s what I said, but if you stop and think about all the new products they’re bringing out there is nowhere to put them. So they cancel Fusion (at least temporarily) allowing Escape overflow and Focus to move to Hermosillo while the other plant gets Ecosport and the new small utility and possibly the new BEV utility. You can’t do all that with Fusion in the way. And given the price wars and heavy competition and shrinking market I don’t think Ford was making as much profit on Fusion as you might think.

Yes, it brings up an interesting dilemma. Hermosillo is barely on two shifts at the moment, so there's room to expand production volume again.

Curious about Utes at Hermosillo versus possible balance out of CD4 Fusion and that CD6 Fusion at FRAP, yes?

Like shuffling the deck and really keen to see how Ford executes all of this. :)

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Without specifically mentioning models, they did say more Raptor models would be on the way.

Did they say Raptor models or just more Ford Performance models like the Explorer ST? They had previously talked bout boosting that vehicle count.

I'm actually surprised the NG Escape is not getting the ST or RS treatment in the US as the Kuga is in Europe....at least they did not acknowledge it.

Edited by Assimilator