Ford to reveal future product plans on Thursday (Bronco under cover and a baby Bronco!)

Exmoor is a horse breed

But doesn't quite roll off the tounge

I really just liked this from the breed description: These go-anywhere, do-anything horses are brave and reliable, and they are intrinsic problem solvers. Belying their wild past, they tend to be kind and form very strong bonds with humans who treat them with trust and respect.

Sounds like a Truck I would like to own :)

• Like 1

On the slide that titled "FORD READIES INDUSTRYS FRESHEST LINEUP BY 2020", it said "4 new nameplates" along with stick figures of 2 c/suv and 2 cars (or 1 car, 1 coupe like cuv). So at least 1 new car, Lincstang?

STANCOLN

Edited by probowler

Ford already had a Maverick. It looks like a big Pinto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4ni6GWLl4Q

The Maverick came first (April 1969 as a 1970 model) and the Pinto (September 1970 as a 1971 model)) hasten been described as favoring the Maverick though it was not at all based on it. What you are saying is the same as saying the 1970 1/2 Camaro looks like a big 1971 Vega.

The Maverick name was used in Europe and Australia for a series of Nissan based SUVs. For Europe the Nissan based Maverick was replaced by the Escape rebadged as a Maverick, so there is already presidence for using the Maverick name on an SUV. It's a rugged Western kind of name that will never be used on a passenger sedan again so they may as well get some use out of it.

Years ago I personally rebadged my Ford Escape as a Maverick just for fun to confuse the fornication out of people.

Being an old guy who was around back then, the Maverick car was nothing special. It was a basic, nondescript, econo-car based on the 1960 Falcon. When I think Maverick, I think cheap. To me, there are better names for Ford to use, if they want to revisit the past.

It's not about revisiting the past. It's about using a rugged name that is already associated with Ford. There is already presidence for using the name on Australian and European SUVs including a rebadged version of the Ford Escape. This "mini-Bronco" will likely be sold globally as well in markets already familiar with the Maverick name previously being offered on an SUV. If you cannot disassociate yourself from an economy compacts of many decades ago then you have an awfully small mind.

There was never any backlash from Ford repurposing the Ranger name from the Edsel line.

Edited by StangBang

In keeping with a horse theme, particularly wild horses (Bronco, Mustang), I would nominate "Cayuse" for the small Bronco.

If heritage names are being considered (Maverick, Ranchero), I think "Del Rio" is worth considering.

The Del Rio Ranch Wagon was only made from 1957-58 and did not stick around long enough for it to make an impact as a recognizable product name.

The Del Rio Ranch Wagon was only made from 1957-58 and did not stick around long enough for it to make an impact as a recognizable product name.

IMHO, that makes it an ideal candidate. It's semi-related, it's an historic Ford name, and it doesn't carry any baggage. The car guys will recognize it, but virtually nobody will have a bad association with it.

• Like 2

The Maverick came first (April 1969 as a 1970 model) and the Pinto (September 1970 as a 1971 model)) hasten been described as favoring the Maverick though it was not at all based on it. What you are saying is the same as saying the 1970 1/2 Camaro looks like a big 1971 Vega.

The Maverick name was used in Europe and Australia for a series of Nissan based SUVs. For Europe the Nissan based Maverick was replaced by the Escape rebadged as a Maverick, so there is already presidence for using the Maverick name on an SUV. It's a rugged Western kind of name that will never be used on a passenger sedan again so they may as well get some use out of it.

Years ago I personally rebadged my Ford Escape as a Maverick just for fun to confuse the fornication out of people.

Most people will only remember the U S Maverick IMO and have a field day with that. The critics will be saying "what's next, a new Pinto"? I don't think it's the same with Vega. That's had a long reputation for being an awful car, while the Camaro was highly respected.

I really just liked this from the breed description: These go-anywhere, do-anything horses are brave and reliable, and they are intrinsic problem solvers. Belying their wild past, they tend to be kind and form very strong bonds with humans who treat them with trust and respect.

Sounds like a Truck I would like to own :)

An image that goes with cowboys and horses is a herd of cows, so maybe Taurus?