Ford to reveal future product plans on Thursday (Bronco under cover and a baby Bronco!)

gut tells me Lincoln will have a hot rod coupe ( MKR ) utilizing CD6....Lincoln needs some excitement in their lineup as well....right now the hot ticket is the Navigator, so they got something right....I actually like their lineup but its handsome...they need WOW.

Agreed. Lincoln could really use some pizazz, and I don't think a niche coupe may even be necessary to deliver that. They ought to take some notes from Range Rover. That new Velar is very stylish and eye-catching for an SUV.

Edited by The Handler

Ok bud.... So because I'm active on the board and interested in the company, I post too much and am not an "expert", as if I contribute nothing? I've contributed plenty of information with news and tidbits from the few sources I have. You have a problem with my activity on here, put me on your ignore list if you don't like my posts.

You're right. That's why every manufacturer has 2 door with suicide doors available. That's why Ford considered dropping the suicide doors on the F-150 with the last redesign - because everyone wants them! That's why GM offers them on their trucks....oh wait, they don't. Toyota....nope.

I shouldn't have used the word "nobody". Sure, there's a buyer for everyone, but that doesn't mean it makes sense for Ford to offer it. If a reasonable amount of buyers wanted it (enough to make it worth developing), it would be offered. Obviously Ford and 99% of the rest of the industry feel that offering that type of setup isn't worth offering. The reality is, most Broncos won't even go offroad, and most buyers would prefer the everyday usefulness of 4 full doors compared to having a suicide door setup. My point is - 4-doors with suicide setup has been tried, and 4-full doors have vastly won out where both have been offered.

I like the look of the "suicide" doors on the Raptor mainly because it's the only model you can get that with a shorter wheelbase.

Agreed. Lincoln could really use some pizazz, and I don't think a niche coupe may even be necessary to deliver that. They ought to take some notes from Range Rover. That new Velar is very stylish and eye-catching for an SUV.

I think Aviator will do exactly that

I love how there are about 4 or 5 members here who make statements that are actually opinions...but its posted as is if its a fact. Like RMC. No. It wouldnt be very popular.

Nobody wants them anymore. Yes, in your opinion because YOU have zero interest. That does not equate to EVERYONE.

JPD..Has nothing to do with faith in Ford. It has more to do with the clique of members around here. Its almost comical which is why I normally just read instead of post/react. Think what you will, but your (not you JPD) opinion is not more important than others. When someone states no.....blah blah blah...because I have zero interest in that..... ...Im thinking.. Where is the obligatory citation needed post??

yep and the beat goes on...open mind around here does not exist.

RMC just posts too much. He's not the expert that akirby, PremierDrum, Fuzzymoomoo, and JPD80 are.

dhMeAzK.gif?noredirect

And rules are never followed here either.

quote-power-tends-to-corrupt-and-absolut

• Like 1

Yeah right, Ford doesn't have to give any details about future product.......

Look at the change in attitude in the past 12 hours, lots of interest and positive energy out there now..

I'm a believer again. ;)

I am not quite there but refreshing to see them state something. But really what did we learn? Besides a 2 door Bronco (and even Deanh was predicting this on page 3 of this thread) I don't see anything new. So they are going to standardize some safety gear-nice to see-but this is reacting to the market, not taking a leadership position in it. But I do like the name:)

I am most intrigued be the future "flexible architectures". These are going to have to "flex" a long way ! Using today's product names":

• Front-Wheel-Drive Unibody - Fiesta (B size) through Focus
  • Rear-Wheel-Drive Unibody - Fusion/Mustang through Taurus/Explorer
  • Commercial Unibody - Transit Connect and Transit
  • Body-on-Frame- F150 through F450
  • Battery-Electric - ????

Here are my concerns

• Gap between Focus and Fusion. Today it is sort of filled by Escape/Edge. The real issue is can Ford build a small, lighter weight version of the CD6 RWD (Edge/Fusion/Mustang) ?
  • If Transit Connect connect moves down to the new FWD will it loose cargo capacity ?
  • While Transit has its own platform today, will it stay that way ?
  • No way, no how can the entire F-series be built on ONE architecture. This also leaves out the rest of the E-series which recently was given the green light to continue after 2021.

The REAL ISSUE that has plagued Ford for a long time, is being able to quickly change a "top hat". With these "flexible architectures" having such broad ranges, many chassis components will likely have to change as well. Good or bad, Ford also has a lot of new engineering blood. Engineering has been hiring as fast as they can for the past few years, and not just in hybrid/electric vehicle. They are just finishing yet another round of early retirements.

Last, although announced with great fanfare a couple of years ago, the Research and Engineering Center re-build seems to be going very slowly (only one major building has been completed - a parking garage). Consequently, recent hires are being located all over the Metro Detroit area (this is the REAL reason for moving Team Edison to Corktown).

Edited by theoldwizard
  • Like 1

Wow, a lot of stuff to digest.

This was the only thing that caught me off guard:

Fundamentally different than the Wrangler? Two-lane trails? That does not sound very rugged like many were expecting. I almost sounds like they are starting to temper expectations of this being a Wrangler competitor and more of a everyday fun vehicle that you can go camping with. I just hope we don't end up with another FJ Cruiser.

Otherwise, bring it on Ford!

I read that and thought the same. Im worried the vehicle wont be open top capable in some form or another like a Wrangler. If it ends up like a FJ Cruiser, no thanks.

I am most intrigued be the future "flexible architectures". These are going to have to "flex" a long way ! Using today's product names":

Here are my concerns

• Gap between Focus and Fusion. Today it is sort of filled by Escape/Edge. The real issue is can Ford build a small, lighter weight version of the CD6 RWD (Edge/Fusion/Mustang) ?
  • If Transit Connect connect moves down to the new FWD will it loose cargo capacity ?
  • No way, no how can the entire F-series be built on ONE architecture. This also leaves out the rest of the E-series which recently was given the green light to continue after 2021.

The REAL ISSUE that has plagued Ford for a long time, is being able to quickly change a "top hat". With these "flexible architectures" having such broad ranges, many chassis components will likely have to change. Good or bad, Ford also has a lot of new engineering blood. Engineering has been hiring as fast as they can for the past few years, and not just in hybrid/electric vehicle. They are just finishing yet another round of early retirements.

Last, although announced with great fanfare a couple of years ago, the Research and Engineering Center re-build seems to be going very slowly (only one major building has been completed - a parking garage). Consequently, recent hires are being located all over the Metro Detroit area (this is the REAL reason for moving Team Edison to Corktown).

See the VW MQB Platform for a better idea:

mqb5.jpg

There is no reason why Ford can't share a FWD platform that handles all the current products currently using CD4 and C3 platforms.

The FWD and RWD products will share suspension units, etc to help with costs

What I see its going to be a modular approach when it comes to designing a car-

Here are my concerns

I'm not sure what you mean by "gap between Focus and Fusion"? Focus is getting larger.

Transit Connect already rides on the same platform as Focus/Escape, so it being on that platform still shouldn't see it losing any capability.

The rest, I don't know enough to comment on.

I think the word "architecture" is used loosely - I don't think it means there's one frame for whichever segment and that's it, models in whatever segment will share the basic design setup, but it'll be optimized for whatever the use is.

From an interview with Hau Thai-Tang about Mach 1 BEV:

There's a little more detail around our first battery-electric vehicle. As we teased at NAIAS, it's going to be a performance SUV that gives you the low end performance and torque that you would expect in a product that's inspired by Mustang. But it will also offer all of the utility and flexibility of a utility vehicle. So we're very excited about that.

Hackett, not being a car guy, is relying heavily on his management team to plan Ford's future. From a Daniel Howe's column in today's Detroit News:

Roughly six months ago, Hackett issued a challenge to Hau Thai-Tang, executive vice president of product development and purchasing: restructure Ford’s product development process to shorten the time from sketch to showroom and cut costs in the process.

The result, says President of Global Operations Joe Hinrichs, is a 20 percent reduction in the costly process. Ford will shift from “platforms” underpinning families of vehicles to five “flexible architectures” the automaker expects to reduce costs, improve quality and increase efficiency. And a 25 percent reduction in plant changeover time should add $50 million to the bottom line.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/columnists/daniel-howes/2018/03/15/ford-bets-future-rich-past-pickups-suvs/32980751/

Edited by mackinaw
  • Like 1

Unless you wanted a Ford wrangler fighter, and not a Raptor-fighter.... :headscratch:

"Following a strategy of vehicles that are comfortable at high speeds, in the sand and on two-lane trails"

Following this strategy - no complaints from me!

Edited by Kev-Mo

And ford confirmed tat Bronco would be two and four door

This makes sense - here in Colorado there are many brand new two door Jeeps - I know the 4Door is more popular, but the classic 2Door Jeep never goes out of style.

They need cool colors too! Bright orange, lime Green, red, etc. not just six shades somewhere between silver and darker silver like all the other cars on the road. For some unexplained reason, Jeeps and Mountain Bikes can be acceptable in colors that you would never use anywhere else.

the 2 door/ four door fight willnever go away...Ive owned both, LOVE the looks of the2 door, but 4 is definitely more user friendly...however...since allthat will be in the rear seat is a couple of Labs, I will most likely go 2 door...and most likely REGRET the decision a few times...lol.

@tbone...I do recall a mention of removable roof panels.....what that specifically means is guesswork, and to what extent none of us have any idea....

I don't know if this is at all related (as it's an MKC in the drawings), but Ford applied for this patent:

http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=09908392&IDKey=D81D2331724A%0D%0A&HomeUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fpatft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fnph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO2%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526p%3D1%2526u%3D%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsearch-bool.html%2526r%3D29%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%2526co1%3DAND%2526d%3DPTXT%2526s1%3D%252522Ford%252BGlobal%252BTechnologies%252522%2526OS%3D%252522Ford%252BGlobal%252BTechnologies%252522%2526RS%3D%252522Ford%252BGlobal%252BTechnologies%252522

xGAG5jC.jpg

0nRHG3b.jpg

Basically, it looks like mini sunroofs over each passenger. They are apparently power opening as well.

This makes sense - here in Colorado there are many brand new two door Jeeps - I know the 4Door is more popular, but the classic 2Door Jeep never goes out of style.

They need cool colors too! Bright orange, lime Green, red, etc. not just six shades somewhere between silver and darker silver like all the other cars on the road. For some unexplained reason, Jeeps and Mountain Bikes can be acceptable in colors that you would never use anywhere else.

I'm sure the Mustang color Palette is going to be shared with the Bronco. IIRC Ford discovered alot of overlap between the two products in design group studies.

• Like 2

• Body-on-Frame- F150 Ranger through F450