Ford to reveal future product plans on Thursday (Bronco under cover and a baby Bronco!)

“People need more concrete facts.”

No they don’t. They want more facts and more facts might be good up to a point, but they don’t need anything.

They’ll probably announce something about CD6 with Explorer and Aviator and reiterate Ranger, Bronco and all the hybrids and PHEVs.

• Like 3

I would think the new Focus and maybe Escape would be part of this too, as well as mention of the new C platform in some capacity.

I really hope they mention the Bronco beyond just the ultra vague Coming Soon tag. At least when they announced the Ranger initially they said late 2018.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

“There’s a very delicate balance between what you want to telegraph publicly, and I think in the past maybe we said too much,” Bill Ford said then. “You want to give Wall Street enough information, but you also don’t want to telegraph where you’re going. ...

“It’s not like we’re not going to say anything. We’re saying a lot. It’s just that we’re not going to say everything. I think the key is providing clarity when we’re ready so that investors can make an informed decision.”

I would love to know examples where Bill Ford felt Ford has said too much.........

maybe he's is regretting that Ford told the world about hybrid F150 and hybrid Mustang?

Or is it more to do with the whole "concept" one year telegraphing the "near production" vehicle the following year?

They’ll probably announce something about CD6 with Explorer and Aviator and reiterate Ranger, Bronco and all the hybrids and PHEVs.

This is what I'm thinking as it's a given to discuss the CD6 and C3 architecture/platform. Discuss it all at once so the auto journalists, investors, customers, etc. know about the upcoming architectures so they will understand the big deal about upcoming reveal of Aviator for NYIAS and Focus in April, etc.

I would love to know examples where Bill Ford felt Ford has said too much.........

maybe he's is regretting that Ford told the world about hybrid F150 and hybrid Mustang?

Or is it more to do with the whole "concept" one year telegraphing the "near production" vehicle the following year?

Got me wondering too. I think he's just regretting the timing in terms of announcing way ahead of time like recently the Mach 1 'coming for 2020' with no imagines or concepts to show it. There's also the 2017 Detroit Auto Show where Ranger and Bronco were announced to come with only the names on the Powerpoint slides. I get they had to announce the Bronco and Ranger due to politics regarding Focus at the time moving to Mexico but I'm guessing Bill Ford is regretful about that. I wonder why Bill didn't fire Mark Fields and make himself Interim CEO to give Ford more time to find a suitable CEO but that's another debate in another thread.

• Like 1

In the next 24 months, so that takes us to March 2020:

So lets see-start with killed off products:

Taurus, Flex, Fiesta dead in NA, C-Max/S-Max killed off ROW

Known upcoming products:

Bronco-Concept/Drawing release

Ranger Raptor-NA release with new engine

NG Focus-Show photo before debut next month?

NG Escape-

2020 F-150 Hybrid

2020 Mustang Hybrid-Though I wonder if this might get pushed back till the NG Mustang in 2021?

2020 Lincoln Aviator concept

2020 Explorer RWD CD6

2021 Mach 1/Model E BEV CUV

Strong unconfirmed Rumors:

Ford Short C/Gen X CUV

Fusion replacement-LWB Focus?

MKZ-RWD CD6?

I don’t think he’ll get into specific models too much outside Ranger/Bronco Explorer/Aviator. Maybe something on Fusion. I expect more details on the new platforms and technologies especially electrification and something on autonomous vehicles.

One thing that stands out to me. The article mentions that along with new and cancelled models, there will be reimagined models. Now, this could refer to Bronco or Mach1, but it could also mean that nameplates like Fiesta, Taurus, or Flex could be applied to new products in different segments.

• Like 1

Wall Street is not going to be happy as it is at least year off for new product and 18 months before that new product hits the bottom line, though they can appease them is if they announce a huge stock buy back, confirm the divided will not be cut, and they have new product coming in the next year. IF they say they are cutting the dividend the stock will fall to the high $8 range. The reason for this is that they have nothing new that is going to sell in huge volume this year, its not like the new Edge will sell 100K more units than the old one. Hopefully they will talk about he 2 new scalable architectures coming and the cost savings associated with that. Give the line on how they will updating 100% of the lineup over the next 4 year etc. I'm not sure that the F-Series can keep the volume it has without a significant increase in incentives over the next 12-months. You have a shrinking market and real competitors in the upper segment of profitable trucks, while Ford is decontening their top of the line trucks to conserve cash, FCA and GM are adding features. You also have the brain drain at Ford where younger employees are jumping ship to suppliers and competitors as they don't like the office climate at Ford.

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

One thing that stands out to me. The article mentions that along with new and cancelled models, there will be reimagined models. Now, this could refer to Bronco or Mach1, but it could also mean that nameplates like Fiesta, Taurus, or Flex could be applied to new products in different segments.

I think this is strongly hinting at the changes the Fusion will be getting. I'm wondering if it will be slotted as a MPV type vehicle now-basically a ruggedized Fusion sorta like the Focus and Fiesta Active models.

• Like 1

I truly wish they'd reduce the reveal to production timeline. The whole release it in November-January and it arrives maybe by the end of the year thing is getting old.

In the next 24 months, so that takes us to March 2020:

So lets see-start with killed off products:

Taurus, Flex, Fiesta dead in NA, C-Max/S-Max killed off ROW

Known upcoming products:

Bronco-Concept/Drawing release

Ranger Raptor-NA release with new engine

NG Focus-Show photo before debut next month?

NG Escape-

2020 F-150 Hybrid

2020 Mustang Hybrid-Though I wonder if this might get pushed back till the NG Mustang in 2021?

2020 Lincoln Aviator concept

2020 Explorer RWD CD6

2021 Mach 1/Model E BEV CUV

Strong unconfirmed Rumors:

Ford Short C/Gen X CUV

Fusion replacement-LWB Focus?

MKZ-RWD CD6?

This seems about right, though I don't expect them to lay everything out like that. Definitely don't expect them to show pictures of anything, aside from things that have already been shown (Ranger Raptor for example).

I don’t think he’ll get into specific models too much outside Ranger/Bronco Explorer/Aviator. Maybe something on Fusion. I expect more details on the new platforms and technologies especially electrification and something on autonomous vehicles.

Agreed. I fully expect to be underwhelmed. We'll get some news, though it's likely stuff we already know about. So, underwhelmed in the sense of it won't be as informative to us as we'd like, but it will concretely confirm a few things that we've speculated about.

I think it'll again be a broad stroke thing, with few specifics, but a few more than previously mentioned. I mean, you can't have Bill Ford talking about being concerned about how they said too much, and then at the same time revealing the whole product plan for the next two years.

• Like 1

I think this is strongly hinting at the changes the Fusion will be getting. I'm wondering if it will be slotted as a MPV type vehicle now-basically a ruggedized Fusion sorta like the Focus and Fiesta Active models.

So back to when the Fusion was this.

Ford_Fusion_front_20080222.jpg

• Like 1

Wall Street is not going to be happy as it is at least year off for new product and 18 months before that new product hits the bottom line, though they can appease them is if they announce a huge stock buy back, confirm the divided will not be cut, and they have new product coming in the next year. IF they say they are cutting the dividend the stock will fall to the high $8 range. The reason for this is that they have nothing new that is going to sell in huge volume this year, its not like the new Edge will sell 100K more units than the old one. Hopefully they will talk about he 2 new scalable architectures coming and the cost savings associated with that. Give the line on how they will updating 100% of the lineup over the next 4 year etc. I'm not sure that the F-Series can keep the volume it has without a significant increase in incentives over the next 12-months. You have a shrinking market and real competitors in the upper segment of profitable trucks, while Ford is decontening their top of the line trucks to conserve cash, FCA and GM are adding features. You also have the brain drain at Ford where younger employees are jumping ship to suppliers and competitors as they don't like the office climate at Ford.

The biggest decontenting I've heard about was a few ambient lighting things - while disappointing, I don't think that's the end of the world. Unless there's more I haven't heard about.

You know, I saw a Dodge Magnum just last night on the way home, and was thinking "I wonder if they jacked that up a few inches and called it a crossover, if it would do well now?" I wonder if we could see that sort of treatment to Fusion.

• Like 1

The stock market likes the fact that Ford is going to talk about it...at least so far today.

Thats good...I keep rolling my Ford dividends into Ford stock. Still wish I got in at $2 a share back in 2007 or so!

I did get kinda lucky with a couple shares of Amazon-got them around $300 and now they are worth $1300-1500!

• Like 1

Thats good...I keep rolling my Ford dividends into Ford stock. Still wish I got in at $2 a share back in 2007 or so!

I did get kinda lucky with a couple shares of Amazon-got them around $300 and now they are worth $1300-1500!

I bought 1000 shares at $0.92 back just before GM and Chrysler went bankrupt. I wish I would have had the money (and the balls) to invest more back then. I thought about buying Google when they had their IPO at ~$80. Ahhh, if only I could foretell the future...

• Like 1

Yesterday would have been better. :)

I reinvested my Q1 (plus the special) dividends in more F last week. The question I asked myself was 'do I buy 160 shares of F or 1 of AMZN?' F won out this time :).

Well, if I had known I would've! :P

I sent you a PM.

• Like 1

The company will use its Product Development Center showroom in Dearborn to outline plans to grow its share of the pickup and SUV markets, according to a source familiar with the situation, as well as its push into electrification and new technology. The second event will be anchored to Ford’s first-quarter earnings next month.

AKA...we still sell sedans??