Paint protection ?

robwaz66

Has anyone considered one of the ceramic coatings or other paint protections. I have a 2018 Navigator on order and am thinking of taking it from the dealer to the detailer but haven’t committed yet. I have begun to research different products and paint protection methods but am unsure if they are really worth the money. From what I can see the bulk of the cost is in the paint prep work. The actual application for ceramic coatings itself seems pretty easy but the coverings are certainly more complicated. I’m going to keep researching but it gets confusing quickly.

I was hoping to hear others opinion and experience with different products.

Thanks for any info anyone is willing to offer.

Has anyone considered one of the ceramic coatings or other paint protections. I have a 2018 Navigator on order and am thinking of taking it from the dealer to the detailer but havent committed yet. I have begun to research different products and paint protection methods but am unsure if they are really worth the money. From what I can see the bulk of the cost is in the paint prep work. The actual application for ceramic coatings itself seems pretty easy but the coverings are certainly more complicated. Im going to keep researching but it gets confusing quickly.

I was hoping to hear others opinion and experience with different products.

Thanks for any info anyone is willing to offer.

I picked up my Reserve on Jan 6 and the detailer got it on the 8th. I did paint correction and Gtechniq ceramic on the entire vehicle and wheels along with some clear bra along the running boards and inside the doors. It isnt as easy as it looks to apply and mine took 24 hours to cure. Mine is ingot Silver so its going to hide imperfections a lot better than black would but I noticed a dramatic improvement on the appearance and the coating is awesome! Nothing sticks to it at all and washing is so much easier. There are a few brands out there but I was only considering Gtechniq or Modesta. Total cost was $2400, I got full window tint for another $600.

I picked up my Reserve on Jan 6 and the detailer got it on the 8th. I did paint correction and Gtechniq ceramic on the entire vehicle and wheels along with some clear bra along the running boards and inside the doors. It isnt as easy as it looks to apply and mine took 24 hours to cure. Mine is ingot Silver so its going to hide imperfections a lot better than black would but I noticed a dramatic improvement on the appearance and the coating is awesome! Nothing sticks to it at all and washing is so much easier. There are a few brands out there but I was only considering Gtechniq or Modesta. Total cost was $2400, I got full window tint for another $600.

Would you mind posting some pics of the tint? Did you do the front windshield as well?

Would you mind posting some pics of the tint? Did you do the front windshield as well?

I did not tint the front windshield. I went with the darkest allowed in my state for the front doors and a couple shades darker for the rest, he used the 3M ceramic film. The front cured in a day or so but the rear still has some curing to do, its been cold and crappy so the car isnt out in the sun much and when it is its not very hot. He said it may take a couple months to fully cure.

post-57380-0-84413800-1521078951_thumb.jpeg

post-57380-0-40831300-1521079014_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

I cant fathom spending $2400 for paint protection. But maybe thats just me.

I understand completely, it was a tough decision for me as well. This is the first time Ive done it and so far its been pretty nice, I washed it for the first time the other day and it required a lot less time and effort getting road tar, bugs, and other crap off of it. Cleaning the wheels alone on this truck would be a nightmare if you had to do any hard work, the turbine design is a pain to clean.... but boy they look good when done. Edited by boredinbirmingham

I did not tint the front windshield. I went with the darkest allowed in my state for the front doors and a couple shades darker for the rest, he used the 3M ceramic film. The front cured in a day or so but the rear still has some curing to do, its been cold and crappy so the car isnt out in the sun much and when it is its not very hot. He said it may take a couple months to fully cure.

Looks awesome! Thanks!!

• Like 1