Replacing the suspension on a 2008

Namaac

The handling on my mkz has always been smooth for the most part (knock on wood). But now I’m hearing a noise coming from underneath it just about every time I tap or hit the brakes. So I took it to the shop for an inspection and sure enough there was a problem. The mechanic told me the suspension components were pretty much shot and that’s why I was getting all the noise and that I need to seriously consider replacing my front struts and rear shocks. Which I was somewhat hesitant because I thought it was going to be a rather costly expense until I started searching online for parts. I figure I’d save myself a little extra cash in addition to the cost of labor. While searching ebay I found a seller called apx auto parts. It seems they specialize in suspension parts. And they have what I need in stock http://apxautoparts.com/sensen-front-rear-shocks-struts-for-06-09-ford-fusion-lifetime-warranty.html. But I still have some time to think it over. Any advice?

I strongly recommend not replacing struts unless you have experience. The springs have to be compressed to remove the strut. I had a customer about kill himself. He took the nut off the strut bearing without compressing it with proper tools. You can take the assembly out and reinstall it but when it comes to swapping the spring, have a shop do it. Other option is to get a loaded strut where the springs are already on the strut. Keep in mind, sometimes that can change ride height until they settle.