WTF happened....

The board doesn't make up market forecasts. Fields says this is our forecast and this is our plan to address it and this is what the financials look like and this is how much I need to spend and here is the expected profits. And the board either agrees or pushes back. These board members are not automotive experts. I'm sure Fields had data that supported the expected downturn. But in the end it's still the CEO's plan and the CEO is accountable for the results, not the board.

They'd better at least be business and economics experts.

That said, if you are a board member of a Fortune 500 company, you do your own reading and research on the economy and business trends. You dont just take the word of the CEO.

• Like 2

Fields tenure at Ford can pretty much be sumed up with If you cant blind them with brilliance, baffle them with Bull S*** worked well for him until the point he hit CEO.

They tell me that a leopard can't change its spots but Fields sure knew when to switch and sing from Mulally's hymn book.

We were waiting to see if he reverted to "old Ford" practises after Mulally left and he did not disappoint...

Edited by jpd80

You dont just take the word of the CEO.

Well of course not. But if the CEO has a plan with data to back it up then what’s the board going to do? Come up with their own plan? They can challenge it if they don’t believe the assumptions are valid, but there is no way the board is going to tell the CEO to delay new products.

I think the problem was more that once it was clear the downturn wasn’t happening, Fields never went back and accelerated the new products. He just kept cutting costs.

They tell me that a leopard can't change its spots but Fields sure knew when to switch and sing from Mulally's hymn book.

We were waiting to see if he reverted to "old Ford" practises after Mulally left and he did not disappoint...

I would say he never stopped or changed, he just hid and laid like a leopard to pounce to ascend knowing Ford would go back to its old ways. That mentally never left Ford, and as soon as the one person who didn't like it left the company went back to its old ways.

[quote name="silvrsvt" post="1025312" timestamp="1520952382

How is the F-150 old when it just got a refresh in the past 6 months and is adding a diesel in the spring time?

I'm sure their will be another update in the next 18 months or so.

It will be the oldest truck this year of the Big 3 and you are assuming it gets a refresh. Maybe a new grill or Sync 4 but like i said, nobody is sitting idle. They will be pushed on their incentives and this is their cash cow. This will be felt in the 2nd and 3rd qtr in my opinion.

Lets see what happens in the next few quarters. F150will. Ontiniento sell well but I would wager some money here their margins are going to be hurt.

[quote name="silvrsvt" post="1025312" timestamp="1520952382

How is the F-150 old when it just got a refresh in the past 6 months and is adding a diesel in the spring time?

I'm sure their will be another update in the next 18 months or so.

It will be the oldest truck this year of the Big 3 and you are assuming it gets a refresh. Maybe a new grill or Sync 4 but like i said, nobody is sitting idle. They will be pushed on their incentives and this is their cash cow. This will be felt in the 2nd and 3rd qtr in my opinion.

Lets see what happens in the next few quarters. F150will. Ontiniento sell well but I would wager some money here their margins are going to be hurt.

Um? Obviously it'll be the oldest truck when the two other big 3 companies redid their trucks in the same year. That's how the industry works.

Assuming it gets a refresh?

2015-Ford-F-150-2.jpg

636506773334553859-02-ford-f-150-2018-ex

Hmmm......I'm not sure it got a refresh or not...... Really? if it get's a refresh? :doh:

It'll be all new in 2 years. Again, that's how the industry works.

XLT has $8550 in combined incentives on it currently.

Not in the Atlanta area - current rebates are maxed at $5850 with probably an extra $1K dealer cash. If you're including package discounts, etc you might get to $8550 but those are already baked into Ford's pricing.

The current discounts on XLTs from MSRP is $12K-$13K depending on price.

post-22831-0-98317300-1521123580_thumb.jpg

XLTs have had at least a $5K rebate plus package discounts for the last 2-3 years running so this isn't a big change.

The bigger change is Lariats and Platinums (and I assume the other upper trims) are now at $2800 incentives whereas they were $1250.

If Ford is offering $5k on XLT and only $2800 on Lariat+ trims, you know they are selling a huge number of high-level trucks, and making tons of cash!

If Ford is offering $5k on XLT and only $2800 on Lariat+ trims, you know they are selling a huge number of high-level trucks, and making tons of cash!

And it's been more like $5K vs. $1250 XLT vs. Lariat for the last 2-3 years which still makes the price difference $6K - $8K and I just couldn't justify the extra cost so I got the XLT (and happy with it).

The way I like to analyze those situations, is I ask myself would you rather have the Lariat 501A Sport or would you rather have the XLT 302A Sport with $8K in cash sitting on the front seat.

Um? Obviously it'll be the oldest truck when the two other big 3 companies redid their trucks in the same year. That's how the industry works.

Assuming it gets a refresh?

2015-Ford-F-150-2.jpg

636506773334553859-02-ford-f-150-2018-ex

Hmmm......I'm not sure it got a refresh or not...... Really? if it get's a refresh? :doh:

It'll be all new in 2 years. Again, that's how the industry works.

Yes i was stating that assuming it gets a refresh in two years and what that will look like. Ford does a great job with this truck-but they are going to feel pressure to maintain their position in the market. I think we all agree there...

Yeah but its not as good for flaunting my wealth and showing off. I guess Ill have to figure out another way to do that.

Meh, all I see when someone drives by in a new loaded up F150 is a $1000/month car payment. Sure, there's a handful of guys paying cash (or could at least afford to pay cash if they wanted), but the majority of these things are sold to people with no hope of ever getting out of the car payment game.