This Is What Ford's USPS Mail Truck Prototype Looks Like

I was going to say, the article I read yesterday didn't mention Ford. I always thought the Connect would make a good little mail truck.

Interesting.

Looks much better than this monstrosity:

karsan-001-1.jpg

Ditto-Not sure where I read it but for sure Ford was not on the list. Oshkosh should be a good partner-and from a cost perspective, the Transit components you would think would make this cost effective vs. custom sheet metal

Perhaps this would be a good application for the new F150 hybrid powertrain to set it apart from the rest.

Agreed! I thought the requirements were that it had to be a hybrid??

If these are prototypes, why in the heck do they bother putting USPS stickers on them? Unless USPS is trying them out maybe?

If these are prototypes, why in the heck do they bother putting USPS stickers on them? Unless USPS is trying them out maybe?

To test the aerodynamics of the eagle logo. DUH!

----

Since electric is the big thing, why not make these things electric? They're all returning to the same point every night where they could recharge.

Not a requirement: http://savethepostoffice.com/wp-content/uploads/Supplier_Conference_Pres_FBO_Posting.pdf

Although I suspect that in order to be competitive on operating costs, it will have to be a hybird. So I think at this point, all the remaining vans in the competition are either fully electric or hybrids.

Using the Transit chassis instead of a purpose build chassis is interesting decision. It could mean that this van will receive regular life cycle improvements over the contract (which could last instead of being locked in on the design parameters with a purpose build chassis. Perhaps Oshkosh will try to use that as a selling point.

Edited by bzcat

I like the Transit but the best of the prototypes I've seen is the AM General. A good mail truck should be cartoonish, but cohesive in a way that Transit with it's goofy-looking add-ons just isn't.

AM-General-postal-service-new-truck-fron

That said, AM General is struggling while Oshkosh is on a mega hot streak in the government contract game so I'm definitely marking the Transit as one of the favorites.

I see these in Chicago all the time (theyre a BEV version of a European van) and think theyre pretty nice looking.

electric-fedex.jpg

Id rather see the Transit Custom than the regular Transit.

I agree it's nice looking, but without front doors it's not at all practical for USPS needs.

I like the Transit but the best of the prototypes I've seen is the AM General. A good mail truck should be cartoonish, but cohesive in a way that Transit with it's goofy-looking add-ons just isn't.

AM-General-postal-service-new-truck-fron

That said, AM General is struggling while Oshkosh is on a mega hot streak in the government contract game so I'm definitely marking the Transit as one of the favorites.

I agree it's nice looking, but without front doors it's not at all practical for USPS needs.

That does look pretty good.

Mail service would be better suited for a hybrid system. Too much stop and go for a fully electric system.

Rural mail carriers in my area still use their own vehicles and their routes cover a greater area than most current full electrics would have sufficient range for.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that seeing that overhang, the right side has a sliding door. Also, the left side must have a sliding door. You can't have hinged doors on what will be the next generation of your every day common mail trucks. The turning circle MUST be small so these trucks can make tight U-turns. It must be aluminum. If you'll notice, the current Grumman LLV (Long Life Vehicle) aluminum body mounted on a mid-80's Chevy S10 show no rust! As far as being larger then the current LLV, I think the postal service might be in a catch 22 scenario. First, the USPS (United States Postal Service) is buying new vehicles to accommodate the inundation of Amazon parcels. Actually i think they should have Jeff Bezos (worth $105 billion, Amazon is worth $500 billion)) buy them for the USPS!!! But wait! There's talk that he plans to start his own delivery fleet. So does the USPS need BIGGER trucks? Well the truth is they need NEW trucks anyway, but if Bezos/Amazon abandons the USPS, they might not need BIGGER trucks. Mechanically the LLV's are on their last leg, but they did a good job for almost 30 years!! And yes, I'm surprised as anyone that Ford is doing this; I was not aware they were involved. But again, seeing as how Ford has experience with aluminum, they should offer their vehicle aluminum-bodied. Hopefully these new trucks will have some kind of amenities in them. The current trucks have no AC, poor heating, no cup holders, no clock, and just 2 speed wipers. Also, the wrap-around plastic bumpers on the current trucks fair well in minor accidents.

Edited by Joe771476