Lincoln Play for 2018 Navigator

Hi. My name is John, and my wife and I are looking to get a Navigator Reserve. We are undecided on the Lincoln Play. Hopefully I am not hijacking the thread, and the original poster finds this useful, too. Please let me know if I should post in a new thread, though.

Is it possible / easy to control media from the front screen and play it on the rear screens? Our Infiniti QX80 allows us to play a movie from a USB upfront on the rear screens. We have two, younger children (ages 6 and 3), and while they can operate remote controls and tablets (Kindle), they aren't great with complex menus.

We spent some time at the dealer in an Expedition with the RSE (they didn't have any Navigators with Lincoln Play). We were not able to get a USB plugged into the front USB to play through the rear screens. The "Technology Manager" was not too helpful, and, while I consider myself pretty tech savvy, I was not able to figure it out, either. Any real world experience with this?

Thank you!

Hi. My name is John, and my wife and I are looking to get a Navigator Reserve. We are undecided on the Lincoln Play. Hopefully I am not hijacking the thread, and the original poster finds this useful, too. Please let me know if I should post in a new thread, though.

Is it possible / easy to control media from the front screen and play it on the rear screens? Our Infiniti QX80 allows us to play a movie from a USB upfront on the rear screens. We have two, younger children (ages 6 and 3), and while they can operate remote controls and tablets (Kindle), they aren't great with complex menus.

We spent some time at the dealer in an Expedition with the RSE (they didn't have any Navigators with Lincoln Play). We were not able to get a USB plugged into the front USB to play through the rear screens. The "Technology Manager" was not too helpful, and, while I consider myself pretty tech savvy, I was not able to figure it out, either. Any real world experience with this?

Thank you!

I have been using the system, the only thing that works with my iTunes library is the HDMI input, it cant be controlled from the front, it seems to be be completely separate. Only one monitor has a HDMI input so only one game system can be used at a time. The entire thing leaves a lot to be desired.

Thank you!

I have been using the system, the only thing that works with my iTunes library is the HDMI input, it cant be controlled from the front, it seems to be be completely separate. Only one monitor has a HDMI input so only one game system can be used at a time. The entire thing leaves a lot to be desired.

• 5 months later...

Honestly the system is terrible. I spent three days trying to get it to connect to my phone with no success. I took the car to the dealership to have them figure it out, they are now telling me (after another three days) that you can't stream movies. Only play them through a firestick or USB connection. I think because technology is so new nobody knows how it is supposed to work. Sorry I'm not more help.

The whole situation is really annoying bc I also have small children and was hoping for the entertainment system. 

Maybe you will have better luck?! 

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2018 at 8:56 AM, hans.ackerman said:

Thank you!

John,

From the front seat you have no control or integration with the rear seat entertainment. The system comes with 2 infra red remotes which must be operated from the rear looking at the screen. As has been said the system has no DVD / Blu-ray player in it. Also its difficult to link the system to the audio system of the car as there is no internal connection. The best way to do the audio linkage is with a Fm-Adapter. The most useful way to use the system is to follow the following guidelines:

1) Purchase a 3.5mm -> FM adapter off amazon. I purchased one that is powered off USB yet also has a microusb on it to allow the power to pass through.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D9KPSWM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) Set the USB port on the primary display to FAST CHARGE. This will allow the port to have 15W of power available. This will be enough to drive a streaming stick along with the FM adapter.

3) Purchase either a Roku stick or amazon fire stick. Plug it into the HDMI port on the primary display powering it off the USB power passthrough on the FM adapter.

4) Find a frequency on the FM adapter that is open and set it to that. 

5) Set a preset on the vehicle radio to the FM adapter frequency. 

6) RIP all your DVD's to a large SD card and place in the SD card slot.

7) Enable the vehicle hotspot and setup the Roku to utilize the vehicle Wi-fi for internet

This allows one screen to watch live streamed content from the Roku such as netflix / youtube / hulu etc.. on one screen. You will also be able to view DVD content from the SD-card on the other screen (either screen can do either just not both at same time). It also allows you to hear the content on the main sound in the vehicle by tuning the radio to a set frequency. You can also run either a PS4-slim or a Xbox one-s off the rear inverter and plug it into the HDMI port if you need to. 

I know its a lot of pain in the ass for a system that cost 2k in a 100k car. The good news is that they are large screens. They are not great quality displays but they are also durable. I am not totally pleased with the system, esp for 2k. We are using though at least while the kid is young. Hes only 3 but he can pick up the roku remote, put his headphones on, navigate to youtube/netflix and off he goes. The system remembers the previous input settings etc so we just reach over and push the button to turn it on and he is off and running (he cant reach power button when he is strapped in ). 

You can link the bluetooth from the rear displays to the front stereo and play the movies or whatever through the truck soundsystem (via bluetooth) Once linked when you get in the truck every time your phone will be the default so you need to select it again. Other than that not much control from the front. You can download the lincoln app and get a little control (turn on and off and something else I forget) but its not great. We added a firestick to the HDMI input and use that for the kids when going on road trips. I would bet any aftermarket one would work as well (or better) for less money but not look as integrated as the factory ones do. Although they still look bolted on as well. With the firestick we can control from the front as the remote is not IR. Still need to have the kids tell us whats on screen or I can move the driver seat way up (I'm really skinny) and my wife moves her seat back and she can see and control it to set it up while driving. It's not great I wish it could mirror on the front and let the passenger control it but no deal. 

• 2 months later...

My son would love this if his ps4 would be able to plug into the HDMI port and be powered up via the 110v plug. Has anyone tried this, and if so what was the result? I know there is a youtube video that tried it and he had some bad luck, however he seemed ill prepared and not really willing to work with the idea. I would love to know if this would work for us as a streaming and gaming device on the go! 

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2018 at 6:56 AM, hans.ackerman said:

Thank you!

It’s awful. Seriously awful. I thought migrating from DVDs was the way to go to leverage all the online content we own. I waited 12 weeks for a Navigator with LincolnPlay and had the tech expert come out. He informed me that using the VehicleWiFi/LincolnPlay app doesn’t work for iPhones, which is why they now ship with an HDMI adapter cable. However, the HDMI cable still requires sound to come over headphones. I have a 2 yo and a 5 yo and won’t this for several reasons (bad for hearing, won’t stay on their heads). So instead I have to use Bluetooth connection to play sound over the speakers, which is always 1-2 seconds off. Getting the screens turned on & mirrored, Bluetooth connected, content selected and streaming, always takes about 5 minutes and is seriously life-threatening while driving. If i use my iPhone for the display, it’s useless for anything else. At this point I would pay serious money to go back to the Escalade’s centrally located DVD player that can be controlled via the console. In the meantime, I think we’re going to download as much content as we can to an unused iPad, use the HDMI connector, and deal with the fact that in Space Jam, my kids will see Michael Jordan’s face but hear bugs bunny speaking. 

If you have older kids, after market tablets are probably a better bet, but mine aren’t old enough to control them yet.