Lincoln Play for 2018 Navigator

As we await our Navigator I have been browsing the how to videos on Lincolns website.

I am curious who has the Lincoln Play System and how easy has it been to stream videos from an iPad or iPhone. Im a little annoyed that there isnt a DVD player built in, but well find a way to plug a small DVD player in. Unfortunately, it likely wont look super clean.

Anyway, is streaming difficult? I dont plan on using the WiFi in the car since we have a portable hotspot that we take with us everywhere, so not sure if that affects the ability to stream content.

Any thoughts or real world experience would be appreciated!

You may find these videos helpful.

https://youtu.be/EzfrV3Yl_so

https://youtu.be/_8WmHzZbvkY

Thanks! That was super helpful.

I think it confirms though that streaming Netflix, Youtube, etc from a device is not an option.

I have to figure out how we can convert our huge collection of kids DVDs to a jump drive. He says no one carries 80 DVDs, well we carry about 50 in a couple small carry cases and the kids love the selection.

Anyway, if I’ll do a Google search on how to convert movies you own to a jump drive and will post here if I find a workable solution.

Thanks! That was super helpful.

I think it confirms though that streaming Netflix, Youtube, etc from a device is not an option.

I have to figure out how we can convert our huge collection of kids DVDs to a jump drive. He says no one carries 80 DVDs, well we carry about 50 in a couple small carry cases and the kids love the selection.

Anyway, if I’ll do a Google search on how to convert movies you own to a jump drive and will post here if I find a workable solution.

Yes, my wife's Acadia had a DVD player, but to be honest physical media (ie DVDs and CDs and maybe Blu-Rays) are going the way of the dodo bird.

We have a bunch of movies for the kids I put on a tiny USB stick and are expecting our Gator this week or next. You can "rip" DVD to movies with a variety of different software programs.

In the second video it shows you can hook up a Roku streaming stick to the HDMI port which you can then hook up to the cars WiFi and stream Netflix/Youtube, etc over the cars data plan.

Yes, my wife's Acadia had a DVD player, but to be honest physical media (ie DVDs and CDs and maybe Blu-Rays) are going the way of the dodo bird.

We have a bunch of movies for the kids I put on a tiny USB stick and are expecting our Gator this week or next. You can "rip" DVD to movies with a variety of different software programs.

In the second video it shows you can hook up a Roku streaming stick to the HDMI port which you can then hook up to the cars WiFi and stream Netflix/Youtube, etc over the cars data plan.

Totally agree with you!

I understand piracy laws, but I just want to rip our own DVDs to watch. What software did you use? I just tried Handbrake and it wouldn't allow us to do it with the DVDs we own.

Totally agree with you!

I understand piracy laws, but I just want to rip our own DVDs to watch. What software did you use? I just tried Handbrake and it wouldn't allow us to do it with the DVDs we own.

I think the piracy gods will forgive you for bittorrenting movies you already own...just saying...

I'll let you know how it works for me when I get mine.

Ours was built 2/22 and should be here in the north burbs of Chicago the end of this week/beginning of next week....its been a long wait....ordered in beginning of December...

I think the piracy gods will forgive you for bittorrenting movies you already own...just saying...

I'll let you know how it works for me when I get mine.

Ours was built 2/22 and should be here in the north burbs of Chicago the end of this week/beginning of next week....its been a long wait....ordered in beginning of December...

Haha! So what program did you use. I just found WinX and it looks like it'll work for about $40

• 2 weeks later...

Can also use Nero Recode - does everything in one step. Converts directly to MP4, WMV, whatever format you need.

Another option which may be less painful is doing a disc to digital conversion of the DVDs through Vudu. Then, when you connect your Vudu and iTunes accounts through Movies Anywhere, they should show up in iTunes where you can then download them direct to your iPad or through Google Play for Android.

Now that I typed that, I realize that you want to play the movies on the Lincoln Play system, which you can't do with the iTunes/Google Play method. Will do some more research and let you know. First option will definitely work.

• Like 1

So here's my thought on a solution for this. You do need to use either the in-car hotspot or have your own hotspot you bring with you.

Now, you have your phone connected to whatever hotspot you are using.

Finally, you buy a Chromecast and plug it into an HDMI input for the entertainment system. The Chromecast needs to be connected to the hotspot as well (from its point of view, it might as well be your home WiFi network).

Now, you simply use the Chromecast like you normally would at home, either with the Chromecast app if you have an iOS device, or using the built-in Chromecast functionality on your Android phone. Watching Netflix? Cast it to the Chromecast. Watching VUDU? Same thing. Google Play Movies? No problem.

One other solution, assuming your device supports some sort of cable which connects it to HDMI, is simply to send your device's screen via HDMI to the screens in the Navigator. Not all phones support such a connection, however.

Edited by ozymandias

I think the biggest problem with any in-car system is just getting media to the screens. There are plenty of choices on the Lincoln system but none of them are great or frictionless. If you want movies for the kids you have to either rip DVDs or pirate videos and get them on a flash drive and converted into a compatible playable format...this is hardly frictionless. All media screens need to be internet connected or able to connect to a phone for streaming content, and the Lincoln system only supports Miracast from a few Android phones (which is also an outdated protocol). Not only that, the screens are still terrible quality (TN instead of IPS). You are much better off saving your money and using iPads connected to the car's WiFi hub (or just get cellular iPads).

So although the system is simple to use, I think most will find infotainment system pretty useless. Hell, a DVD player would probably make the system much more useful to most parents.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

I think the biggest problem with any in-car system is just getting media to the screens. There are plenty of choices on the Lincoln system but none of them are great or frictionless. If you want movies for the kids you have to either rip DVDs or pirate videos and get them on a flash drive and converted into a compatible playable format...this is hardly frictionless. All media screens need to be internet connected or able to connect to a phone for streaming content, and the Lincoln system only supports Miracast from a few Android phones (which is also an outdated protocol). Not only that, the screens are still terrible quality (TN instead of IPS). You are much better off saving your money and using iPads connected to the car's WiFi hub (or just get cellular iPads).

So although the system is simple to use, I think most will find infotainment system pretty useless. Hell, a DVD player would probably make the system much more useful to most parents.

But assuming it has an HDMI input, you can either send video directly from your device (depending on whether the device supports that of course) or hook up a Chromecast (assuming you use the in-car hotspot or your own hotspot) to play whatever you want, no?

Can also plug the iPad or iPhone into the HDMI port. Just get the adapter: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

Get a light basic HDMI cable with a small light plug like this Monoprice cable so it won't weigh down the device or stress the jack: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-High-Speed-18Gbps-Supports-Ethernet/dp/B014ROOB9U/

Amazon and Monoprice sell them in multiple colors and lengths.

Edited by HofstraJet
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Haha! So what program did you use. I just found WinX and it looks like it'll work for about $40

Finally got to try the videos on the Lincoln Play system. Worked like a charm right off a usb drive.

I used WinX. Great way to make loading and watching DVDs you own onto the car. Actually more convenient than when we had to load a DVD into a drive. Just some up front time and effort to convert the DVD library.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I just ordered a couple 128GB flash drives to convert DVDs. Looking at the WinxDVD site, there are several offerings. Can anyone advise on what product they chose and which format to output the files. TIA

I've used a couple free products that aren't the best for non-tech-savvy folks. I would be interested in your opinion of WinxDVD as I've been thinking of trying it.

I've used a couple free products that aren't the best for non-tech-savvy folks. I would be interested in your opinion of WinxDVD as I've been thinking of trying it.

WinXDVD worked great for almost all our movies. We own all the DVDs we converted.

• Like 1

WinXDVD worked great for almost all our movies. We own all the DVDs we converted.

I did purchase the WinXdvd software (found a coupon for $29.95). Very easy to use, it did take between 1 - 1 and 1/5 hours to upload each DVD. Each movie is approximately 1 GB so a 128 GB flash drive will hold well over 100 full length movies.

• 4 weeks later...

Can also plug the iPad or iPhone into the HDMI port. Just get the adapter: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

Get a light basic HDMI cable with a small light plug like this Monoprice cable so it won't weigh down the device or stress the jack: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-High-Speed-18Gbps-Supports-Ethernet/dp/B014ROOB9U/

Amazon and Monoprice sell them in multiple colors and lengths.

Just FYI-ours came with a apple lightening to HDMI Adapter and HDMI cable

Hi. My name is John, and my wife and I are looking to get a Navigator Reserve. We are undecided on the Lincoln Play. Hopefully I am not hijacking the thread, and the original poster finds this useful, too. Please let me know if I should post in a new thread, though.

Is it possible / easy to control media from the front screen and play it on the rear screens? Our Infiniti QX80 allows us to play a movie from a USB upfront on the rear screens. We have two, younger children (ages 6 and 3), and while they can operate remote controls and tablets (Kindle), they aren't great with complex menus.

We spent some time at the dealer in an Expedition with the RSE (they didn't have any Navigators with Lincoln Play). We were not able to get a USB plugged into the front USB to play through the rear screens. The "Technology Manager" was not too helpful, and, while I consider myself pretty tech savvy, I was not able to figure it out, either. Any real world experience with this?

Thank you!

Edited by hans.ackerman