Edge Safe and Smart Option

Jimm44

As we grow older we need every bit of modern help we can get while driving. And so I have gotten all my ducks in a row for when I order my 2019 Edge, however if the 2019Safe and Smart package is like the 2018 package Ford has lost a customer.

The topic is autonomous braking, in a Toyota, Honda and other brands when the driver is not paying full attention and his car is speeding toward an other object, the computer senses that there is not sufficient time for the driver to stop the car and so the autonomous baking does it automatically. It might only lessen the crash but the car has been slowed.

Not so in the 2018Edge. From the Ford Owners site >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you dont react and continue to get closer to the other vehicle, your car will pre-charge and increase brake assist sensitivity to provide full responsiveness when you brake, which may help you avoid an accident. Once your brakes have been pre-charged, even if you press them lightly, theyll automatically apply a harder force to stop you quickly.

* This system is designed to be a supplementary driving aid. It is not intended to replace the drivers attention, and judgment, or the need to apply the brakes. This system does NOT activate the brakes automatically. Failure to press the brake pedal to activate the brakes may result in a collision.

>>>>>>>So, as I read it, the Edge only charges the brakes to come on more forcefully and does not apply them as the other car brands do. Am I correct in this thinking????