New 7L engine confirmed

From the article linked below:

Report: 2019 F-150 Raptor To Receive Ford’s New 7.0L DOHC V8 Motor

Sources told Reuters that the 7X engine, designed for Ford’s truck line and other special applications, will also feature Direct Injection,

Anyone know if this is factual?

https://speedtwitch.com/report-2019-f-150-raptor-to-receive-fords-new-7-0l-dohc-v8-motor/

You'd think if it was new info they'd refer to in as the 7.3L not 7X.

This will really irritate me if true, as I would have preferred the V8 over the V6. With that said, im not convinced this is true. The last gen Raptors body never changed over the course of its life. Id be surprised if they were to update the current body only after two years of production. Time will tell I guess.

If this is true, it may fix the ADM situation overnight. Most will wait for the new model.

It wouldn't be the first time--the '10 Raptor was available with either the 5.4 or the 6.2.

I actually dont think they were offered simultaneously. I believe the 6.2 was a direct replacement for the 5.4. The 6.2 was not quite ready when the Raptor was released so they had to use the 5.4 during the first year.

I actually dont think they were offered simultaneously. I believe the 6.2 was a direct replacement for the 5.4. The 6.2 was not quite ready when the Raptor was released so they had to use the 5.4 during the first year.

6.2L was a $3,000 option in 2010, engine became available in Jan 2010. The 6.2L became standard in 2011, along with the Crew cab option. You could get both in the second half of 2010 production.

Edited by jasonj80

The new GMC AT4 is going to have 3 engine options.

Edited by MKX1960

I would question the validity of that article since they can't even seem to be bothered with checking the facts on current models. Correct me if I'm wrong but for 2018 it looks like the only chassis to offer the 6.8L V10 are the commercial grade F-350/450/550 chassis cabs, the Super Duty motorhome chassis and the Class 6/7 Medium Duty trucks.

“7.0-liter, V8 engine would have more torque and be more fuel efficient than the 6.8-liter V10 engine now built in Windsor and used in Ford’s super-duty trucks, such as its F-250s.”
  • Like 1

Think the Raptor will have the 450hp 3.5 as standard and the 7.0 as the upgrade. I don't think GM is making a Raptor competition otherwise we've would had heard/seen an blown LT1 off-road GM pick-up, FCA OTOH is supposedly working on a Hellcat, Rebel Ram.

There just has to be more info on this engine somewhere. Why the big hush hush if its going to be primarily a prime mover in medium trucks?

Now maybe just maybe were in for a big surprise and thats why the lid is screwed on so tight.

I don't think there is a 'big hush', It's that no one really cares because 7X is a commercial engine. I don't think it's going into anything other than the Super Duty and stripped chassis trucks.

• Like 1

So this is apparently not an evolution of the 6.2L Boss?

There was a rumor or perhaps simply speculation about a single turbo 6.2L, not sure if it was based on fact or no, however I'd like to see that. A variable geometry unit for extra low-end when needed. Presumably Ford will eventually create a production V8, I liked the idea of a 6.2L turbo as the first.

Edited by meyeste

I don't think there is a 'big hush', It's that no one really cares because 7X is a commercial engine. I don't think it's going into anything other than the Super Duty and stripped chassis trucks.

Well I believe Ford marketing has discovered there is money in delivering excess; a 7.0L option for high end Raptors or F150's would find buyers willing to pay a premium for them. Also I recall a statement once made that came from Ford bragging of their capability to build a variety of engines profitably. The CCD capability could possibly give a 7.0L more or less the same capability as GM's "cylinder shut-off". Difference being balance across all cylinders vs. increasing load on some, the latter approach simply has to have the impact of uneven wear long term. Regardless as GM gets into DOHC V8's I'd think there is pressure on Ford to maintain their current reputation as leader in DOHC V8 development.

Edited by meyeste
  • Like 1

Gosh this thing is growing kegs,

the 7.3 is basically a replacement for the 6.8 V10.if we keep to that then a lot of applications make sense.

I wouldn't get my hopes up over a large capacity V8 performance offering in trucks or Utilities or even Mustang.

A silly thought occurs, though:

the new 7.3 in a "Cobra Jet" drag special, similar to others they've done in recent years. There's a certain percent of Mustang customers that are drag-racing oriented, and that would seem to be a package with some potential...albeit one likely limited to "off road use".

There's no reason it would have to be off-road only. There's no law against selling a huge displacement engine in a car. Dodge managed to do it with the 8.3L Viper until very recently and the Corvette has recently been available with a 7.0L engine. Yeah it might be cafe negative but it's not like they're going to sell millions of them such that it would figure prominently in the overall cafe equation.