New 7L engine confirmed

Well if the 5.4 has a bad size/displacement ratio, the 4.6 is a total basket case. It's only about an inch narrower.

Ford really screwed themselves for 30 years when they locked in the design with that 100mm bore center. Of course at the time it was just a special motor for Lincoln sedans and probably nobody envisioned that it would eventually supersede the existing pushrod engines for trucks and SUVs. I think that was another case of "Nasser Strikes Again".

Well if the 5.4 has a bad size/displacement ratio, the 4.6 is a total basket case. It's only about an inch narrower.

Ford really screwed themselves for 30 years when they locked in the design with that 100mm bore center. Of course at the time it was just a special motor for Lincoln sedans and probably nobody envisioned that it would eventually supersede the existing pushrod engines for trucks and SUVs. I think that was another case of "Nasser Strikes Again".

Yeah! I know a guy that put a 4.6L in a 64 Galaxie. Made the 352 that came out look small.

Still, I'm glad to have the V10. If it wasn't for that abysmal bore center, they never would have needed the extra two cylinders. An overhead cam 10 cylinder is really a pretty exotic piece to play with and now the junkyards are full of them for $100 each thanks to Ford. Not to mention they've served well as truck engines over the last 20 years.

What was so hard about spreading the cylinders out a bit? I mean even the Coyote has the same dimension.

I think there is more to it than just changing out tooling. I seem to remember something about controlling combustion is a lot easier in a 3 1/2 bore than it is in a 4+ " bore.

Gm has to drop cylinders on the fly and I think Chrysler too along with their dual plug head just to equal what Ford does with a good basic design.

5.4L/6.8L Mods have a deck height over 10". I figure the 7.3L would possibly be a little wider due to the valve arrangement, a bit shorter because of the V-10's balance shaft, and not as long because the 7.3L is a V-8.

It's amazing how compromised the 5.4L and 6.8L design was. Absolutely at the limit of displacement, lousy rod ratio, small bore necessitating a 3 valve head, and huge external dimensions particularly considering their displacement.

10.079" deck height

It wasn't at the limit of displacement

A 1.6:1 rod ratio is fine, the 5.4 had some of the lowest inherent piston/cylinder wear of any engine I've seen.

There's not many V8s that will clean up with a .005" over-bore like high mileage 4.6/5.4s normally do.

The importance of rod ratios is overblown.

BMW ships their new M3 with a 1.48:1 rod ratio.

Edited by White99GT

Aww you mucked the gag up, I was hoping that someone would ask why the "Chevy" was painted blue...

I have a 5.0 small block in my shed that's sitting on the floor begging for me to start that rebuild.. :)

I've got a '68 302 4V lying in the shop that I'm guessing originally came out of a Mustang. It still has the cast iron 4 barrel intake manifold. It was in my '75 Bronco when I got it. I pulled that out of the Bronco (bad camshaft) and replaced it with a stroked 351 Windsor that now displaces 393 ci.

• Like 3

Well I've just pulled the 5.0 EFI out of my 91 Falcon, so glad it was a compact engine....

Getting a rebuild with baby Voodoo roller (211/219) fully ported GT40 heads and intake, shorty headers,

24 lb injectors, just something nice and torquey that pulls well to just over 5,000 rpm and then shifts.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

Those big double-cam heads take up some space, for sure. It's maybe the only thing I kinda envy about the GM LS motors...but I'd just use an older Ford V8 if I had a space-limited project.

I forget the company, but there's a new FE coming out, one that has modern tolerances and improvements to oiling, etc. That would be very tempting for any number of uses.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
From the article linked below:

Report: 2019 F-150 Raptor To Receive Ford’s New 7.0L DOHC V8 Motor

Sources told Reuters that the 7X engine, designed for Ford’s truck line and other special applications, will also feature Direct Injection,

Anyone know if this is factual?

https://speedtwitch.com/report-2019-f-150-raptor-to-receive-fords-new-7-0l-dohc-v8-motor/

This will really irritate me if true, as I would have preferred the V8 over the V6. With that said, im not convinced this is true. The last gen Raptors body never changed over the course of its life. Id be surprised if they were to update the current body only after two years of production. Time will tell I guess.