2012 Ford Escape says Hi from the Sunny California Coast

K270

Good day all! Just stumbled upon this forum while looking for some info on my Escape that seems I'm possible to find. I'll have to search around this forum for my answers. Hoping to find out if my 2012 Ford Escape XLT 2.5L is a Interference or Non-Interference engine. Also hoping to find if its a Single overhead cam or not. My search now begins

So quick question. In my search I came across this link:

http://yourcarangel.com/2014/07/interference-engines-complete-list/

I know it doesn't list each model, only the engine type. This is why I'm getting confused as to if my engine is interference or non-interference. How trust worthy is that your car angel website?

Edited by K270

So quick question. In my search I came across this link:

http://yourcarangel.com/2014/07/interference-engines-complete-list/

I know it doesn't list each model, only the engine type. This is why I'm getting confused as to if my engine is interference or non-interference. How trust worthy is that your car angel website?

Never heard of it so I have no idea.

I would listen to frodtech1. He is an actual tech and really knows his shit. Ive yet to see him give bad advice.

• Like 1

Im curious as to why you are asking this? Since its a chain driven timing set up. Belt changes arent needed and highly unlikely a chain will break. However, the crank is not keyed to the timing gear so if you loosen the crank bolt without proper holding tools, it will get out of time. I saw a tech working on a 2.5 4v ranger and forget to take the breaker bar off the crank bolt. Started the engine, it loosened the bolt and bent the valves.

Im curious as to why you are asking this? Since its a chain driven timing set up. Belt changes arent needed and highly unlikely a chain will break. However, the crank is not keyed to the timing gear so if you loosen the crank bolt without proper holding tools, it will get out of time. I saw a tech working on a 2.5 4v ranger and forget to take the breaker bar off the crank bolt. Started the engine, it loosened the bolt and bent the valves.

It only comes up because I was talking with my Uncle who recently purchased a used 2004 Ford F-150 Lariat (a guide he bought says his has an interference engine). He mentioned the Interference and Non-Interference engines which prompted me to start looking for my engine and see if it is a Interference or Non-Interferance. My first search brought me to the Car Angel website Linked above which says the 2.5l engine is a SOHC and Non-Interference, it doesn't list models that have the 2.5l engine though which set doubts in my mind that my Escape is part of that class. I've checked my manual which doesn't say if my engine is a SOHC or DOHC. Nothing under the hood specifies either if its a SOHC or DOHC. I'm only curious.

Used to be a kind of rule of thumb was if it had a timing belt it was not interference engine if it had a chain it was.

However, since they have been squeezing more power out of engines the compression ratio has been upped and most engines now are interference. If you look up Ford Escape 2.5 on YouTube you will see stuff like valve cover gasket replacement. If you look at those you will see two cams not just one so that will settle the SOHC vs DOHC.