2021 Mustang on CD6

What's funny is that some buyers (we all know the type) have become convinced that rwd is some sort of big crutch or penalty in the snow. In reality, there's very little difference other than the back end swings out when you lose traction on a rwd vs the front end disobeying steering input when you lose traction with a fwd. Both can and will get you in a wreck if you're not expecting it and don't know how to counteract it. But the whole issue is way overblown if we're down to the point of certain segments demanding fwd. People have to remember that this all started when Ford and GM discovered the assembly line benefits of FWD and went on an ad campaign touting fwd as some kind of miracle for snow based on the fact there's slightly more weight over the front axle in a typical passenger car.

I don't know about that-I'd much rather be in a FWD car at a stop in the snow then one with RWD. I spent more time spinning wheels with RWD car then a FWD car. There was other factors at play, but still FWD is superior for that at least. Once you get going, they are basically the same.

based on the fact there's slightly more weight over the front axle in a typical passenger car.

That's exactly the benefit and it's real, especially compared to pickups where there is almost no weight on the drive wheels unless you add weight. With the right winter tires the differences are much less though.

That's what I've found. Snow tires and limited slip diff turned my 2wd ranger into an absolute snow animal. No need for 4wd at all now.

But snow tires require you to change them out-I know in my area over the past 10 years I haven't had snow on the ground for weeks straight during the winter. Normally the roads are down to pavement with in 72 hours or so-depending on how well they plow in my development. Main roads are fine before that.

I'd think snow tires would be more of a hindrance on pavement vs all season tires.

Well extra ranger wheels are a dime a dozen at this point, so I just switch them wheels and all every April and November. Snow tires on dry pavement actually work just fine. They're super soft/sticky tread compound, it just wears fast if the pavement is warm. I actually kind of like them on my ranger since I turbocharged it - a lot more go instead of spinning haha.

What was it that was being sent to Premierdrum's PM? I don't want any of you to get in trouble if it violates privacy and could get you fired, but is it a photo of something that's coming out soon? You may send me PM and I would reply within PM and not mention any of it here. But you got my curiosity piqued. lol

There were questions about transverse vs. longitudinal... AFAIK we will see both. As I told akirby privately, the program has swelled to the point where there is now jockeying between teams for individual wants and tolerances.

Fantastic news, sounds like Ford is expanding its views on everything in

the whole process and all stakeholders in at the start, give eng and design

adecent product envelope and headroom to make value decisions.

Since the advent of small overlap crash test, maybe the way a RWD and FWD crash protection zones

are engineered and developed becomes more similar than different?

If they are designed together (at the same time) maybe the costs are only a fraction of what they were

in the past as separate projects, maybe thoughtful engineering saves a ton of cash up front?

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

If they are designed together (at the same time) maybe the costs are only a fraction of what they were...

That's part of my concern. The CD6 program started with very different scope and intentions long ago, and these additions are relatively recent. My sources seem positive and confident, but the late-stage changes are giving me pause. The most important CD6 products are launching first, so we'll know early if things were compromised. Edited by PREMiERdrum
  • Like 1

That's part of my concern. The CD6 progeam started with very different scope and intentions long ago, and these additions are relatively recent. My sources seem positive and confident, but the late-stage changes are giving me pause. The most important CD6 products are launching first, so we'll know early if things were compromised.

Explorer, Aviator and Edge?

That's part of my concern. The CD6 progeam started with very different scope and intentions long ago, and these additions are relatively recent. My sources seem positive and confident, but the late-stage changes are giving me pause. The most important CD6 products are launching first, so we'll know early if things were compromised.

Sounds like they finished the CD6 design for the initial products and now they're looking to see what can be adapted for the other products. If so then they probably did not compromise the architecture. Yet.

That's part of my concern. The CD6 program started with very different scope and intentions long ago, and these additions are relatively recent. My sources seem positive and confident, but the late-stage changes are giving me pause. The most important CD6 products are launching first, so we'll know early if things were compromised.

Explorer, Aviator, Mustang, Lincoln stuff
This. And Edge is coming quickly as well, though it was definitely a late add to this program. That could be the bellwether.

ExplViator & MKZreplacementNotZ were the original first '2' as of not quite 2 years ago

&

iirc the first thing we heard was about RwdFwdAwd...

...just-imho, that's already more 'adaptability-designed-in' that any Fomoco vehicle I can remember

That's part of my concern. The CD6 program started with very different scope and intentions long ago, and these additions are relatively recent. My sources seem positive and confident, but the late-stage changes are giving me pause. The most important CD6 products are launching first, so we'll know early if things were compromised.

Almost everything in engineering is to compromise. CD6 is no different. You can’t mix and match modules without compromising something.

The best possible platform will always be a dedicated one. But the time for a dedicated platform may be in the past

Edited by mackinaw
  • Like 1