2021 Mustang on CD6

Take a screenshot, not all of us are on LinkedIn

I think this is the key point from Ms. Xu's LinkedIn profile:

Perform cost analyses and consolidate financials on electrical parts for CD6 platform vehicles, specifically the 2021 model year global Mustang

That would appear to confirm that S650 is dead, Mustang is moving to CD6, and CD6 will be RWD-capable.

Edited by SoonerLS

Just putting this here for posterity (with time stamps):

Which is even more reason why moving Mustang to a CD6 Architecture makes sense to me.

CD6 2 door - Mustang, Cougar?

CD6 4 door (2 wheelbases) - MKZ, Thunderbird?, Continental

CD6 SUV - Explorer, Aviator, MKX? Everest?

Sedans and coupes at FRAP, SUVs at CAP. Explorer, Aviator, Thunderbird replaces D4 (Explorer, Taurus, MKT, Flex) including PI and PIU.

I still think Mustang and a Lincoln coupe/convertible will share a lot with sedans and utilities on the CD6 architecture - unless CD6 got cancelled by Fields.

• Like 2

So it appears large RWD is alive and well and will use the

The power of utility sales to carry the bulk of development

cost burden where possible I wonder if this is all new from

ground up or borrowed inspiration from a recent departure.

Not saying its Falcon/Territory but possibly drew inspiration

From what was achieved on the smell of an oil rag.......

I think that GM will be pissed off to see Ford deliver a RHD platform

At a fraction of the cost and drama of its Greek tragedies

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

From her profile, she has been doing work on cd6 Mustang for about two years

so spot on for a four year full development, makes me want to know what else

Ford has in the pipeline for us - things that Fields delayed and delayed......

Edited by jpd80

Which is even more reason why moving Mustang to a CD6 Architecture makes sense to me.

CD6 2 door - Mustang, Cougar?

CD6 4 door (2 wheelbases) - MKZ, Thunderbird?, Continental

CD6 SUV - Explorer, Aviator, MKX? Everest?

Sedans and coupes at FRAP, SUVs at CAP. Explorer, Aviator, Thunderbird replaces D4 (Explorer, Taurus, MKT, Flex) including PI and PIU.

This does make sense and is likely to happen. I known about the CD6 as does most here for awhile now. I like how it's both front/AWD and rear/AWD and for coupe/convertible, sedan, and SUV. I won't be surprised if the architecture allows for the 'shell' to have the ability to be made of steel and aluminum depending on model. A great way to design both LHD and RHD for all markets too. I can see the 2020 Explorer going all aluminum to save weight as well as the Mustang to give more performance advantage. The Fusion (whatever front drive/AWD sedan) could remain steel to save costs. I would like to see return of midsize rear drive sedan with familiar name as Falcon or Fairlane. What about Ranchero too, with the unibody pickup variant of the sedan?

You mentioned the Cougar. I think it would be a good idea for Ford to bring back the Cougar. Not sure how to get around with the absence of Mercury, but they could market it as the 'Mercury Cougar' with badging, naming, etc. on the car as Mercury Cougar but officially sold as Ford Cougar in terms of title, documents, paperwork, DMV, etc. and printed on label on driver's side door for customer's clarification. Kinda like the aftermarket company that takes modern Chevy Camaro and convert into Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am similar to the "Smokey And The Bandit" kind with badging and all but still titled as Chevy Camaro. I do not want the new Cougar to be the 'poor man's Thunderbird' as in the 80s or the Mercury 'LTD' subrand but rather the true Cougar which was the Mercury variant of Mustang. Here is great opportunity to do so with the CD6 along with the Lincoln variant, which could have exclusive all wheel drive option, etc. Mustang Hybrid could have all wheel drive with electric motors driving front wheel hubs. But I still want production Mustang/Cougar to remain rear drive for traditional purposes.

I would not object the return of Thunderbird even if in solely sedan form. Ford brought it back 2002-2006 as 2-seat convertible and it did not do well though it was more because of it being from the DEW98 sedan platform rather than designed as a convertible from the start. So I don't have issues with just the sedan as long as people can look at it and recognize that it's a Thunderbird with the styling cues. After all, Ford did have the 4-door Thunderbird in the 60s. Probably wouldn't hurt to do 2-door/4-seat variant of Thunderbird on a limited-basis (whether low production volume per year or on a limited few-year run) to help bring in interest to the car. I think Thunderbird would be best suited for the retail market instead of Police Interceptor market as you indicated in your prediction. I think the PI Sedan is best suited for the aforementioned Falcon or Fairlane. The 'wagon' variant of the sedan could fill in the Flex slot but unlikely it would sell well.

I'm really excited about this CD6 architecture soon to come out but even sooner to be announced. So many possibilities of things to do with this. It could eventually bring production of more models into America such as Fusion/MKZ, etc. The next Edge could remain in Canada for Canadian market and additional spillover demand while having the next Edge also made in America alongside the Nautilus. Think of more jobs that could be added with this architecture and give Ford more of 'Made In America' look than it is with the shifting of Focus to China.

I still think, by the way, that it's odd that people are posting their work projects on this LinkedIn site that I see often. I don't think companies would be too glad to see employees listing their projects on this site for all to see when it's giving competitive edge to rival companies. I hope it's not intentional misinfo on Ford's part but it's likely true that this is real but we all known about the CD6 for awhile anyways.

• Like 1

This does make sense and is likely to happen. I known about the CD6 as does most here for awhile now. I like how it's both front/AWD and rear/AWD and for coupe/convertible, sedan, and SUV. I won't be surprised if the architecture allows for the 'shell' to have the ability to be made of steel and aluminum depending on model. A great way to design both LHD and RHD for all markets too. I can see the 2020 Explorer going all aluminum to save weight as well as the Mustang to give more performance advantage. The Fusion (whatever front drive/AWD sedan) could remain steel to save costs. I would like to see return of midsize rear drive sedan with familiar name as Falcon or Fairlane. What about Ranchero too, with the unibody pickup variant of the sedan?

You mentioned the Cougar. I think it would be a good idea for Ford to bring back the Cougar. Not sure how to get around with the absence of Mercury, but they could market it as the 'Mercury Cougar' with badging, naming, etc. on the car as Mercury Cougar but officially sold as Ford Cougar in terms of title, documents, paperwork, DMV, etc. and printed on label on driver's side door for customer's clarification. Kinda like the aftermarket company that takes modern Chevy Camaro and convert into Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am similar to the "Smokey And The Bandit" kind with badging and all but still titled as Chevy Camaro. I do not want the new Cougar to be the 'poor man's Thunderbird' as in the 80s or the Mercury 'LTD' subrand but rather the true Cougar which was the Mercury variant of Mustang. Here is great opportunity to do so with the CD6 along with the Lincoln variant, which could have exclusive all wheel drive option, etc. Mustang Hybrid could have all wheel drive with electric motors driving front wheel hubs. But I still want production Mustang/Cougar to remain rear drive for traditional purposes.

I would not object the return of Thunderbird even if in solely sedan form. Ford brought it back 2002-2006 as 2-seat convertible and it did not do well though it was more because of it being from the DEW98 sedan platform rather than designed as a convertible from the start. So I don't have issues with just the sedan as long as people can look at it and recognize that it's a Thunderbird with the styling cues. After all, Ford did have the 4-door Thunderbird in the 60s. Probably wouldn't hurt to do 2-door/4-seat variant of Thunderbird on a limited-basis (whether low production volume per year or on a limited few-year run) to help bring in interest to the car. I think Thunderbird would be best suited for the retail market instead of Police Interceptor market as you indicated in your prediction. I think the PI Sedan is best suited for the aforementioned Falcon or Fairlane. The 'wagon' variant of the sedan could fill in the Flex slot but unlikely it would sell well.

I'm really excited about this CD6 architecture soon to come out but even sooner to be announced. So many possibilities of things to do with this. It could eventually bring production of more models into America such as Fusion/MKZ, etc. The next Edge could remain in Canada for Canadian market and additional spillover demand while having the next Edge also made in America alongside the Nautilus. Think of more jobs that could be added with this architecture and give Ford more of 'Made In America' look than it is with the shifting of Focus to China.

I still think, by the way, that it's odd that people are posting their work projects on this LinkedIn site that I see often. I don't think companies would be too glad to see employees listing their projects on this site for all to see when it's giving competitive edge to rival companies. I hope it's not intentional misinfo on Ford's part but it's likely true that this is real but we all known about the CD6 for awhile anyways.

My guess no CD6 Fusion if we get it it will be a stretched Focus. May get a midsized CD6 but an upmarket one (Thunderbird?) No Cougar to redundant unless they used that for the MKZ when it gets a name and I doubt that.

• Like 3

I don't see the Rancho returning unless it made in NA and shipped to LHD markets as "Falcon Ute" . The Ford brand sedan would probably be bigger then Fusion but not bigger then a Charger as Lincoln will get all the big cars, I'm glad a Lincoln coupe is returning hopeful it's a convertible as well.

Interesting about a possible Cougar return and why not label it as Mercury and sell it at Lincoln dealers?, maybe the non-Lincoln sedan is a Cougar sedan. The "Pontiac" ideal had been kicked around as just 2 performance models only (GTO and G8) in GMC/Buick showrooms. Who knows?, that still might happen.

• Like 2

Besides Utilities, I only see Mustang and Lincoln cars from cd6. Dream on for any new Cougar, Ranchero or Falcon.

I think it depends entirely on factory capacity and whether they want to continue with a PI sedan. If they can build it on an existing line without adding a shift then they can probably justify it. It would have to be a low volume high performance sedan (think SHO only better) with high ATPs.

For the uninformed among us what exactly is a CD6?

CD refers to the size. C is Focus/Escape. D is full sized vehicles (Explorer, Taurus). CD is mid sized (Fusion, Edge). 6 is just a sequence number. CD4 is the current Focus/Edge platform.

It will underpin the new Explorer, Aviator and Mustang. And probably the new MKZ and Continental. It supports RWD/AWD with a longitudinal engine. Rumors are it can also support FWD/AWD similar to how Audi does it but that part is still up in the air. It is supposed to be built as a hybrid platform (integrated battery storage) to support hybrids and plug in hybrids.

• Like 3

That's why I'm thinking that any larger Ford car would span Fusion/Taurus market and complement a larger Focus

but whatever happens, Ford will have fewer cars and fewer car customers, survival means becoming a niche product.

Edited by jpd80