Rear view Mirror pic needed

slumlord

Can someone with a 2018 take a picture of the rear view mirror from the side showing how it is mounted. I have a radar detector mount under my current truck mirror and want to know what style it is so I can do a new one. Also does the mirror have power in the back (for dimming or homelink or anything?) Otherwise have to wire it up to the overhead console. Can't find any good shots online.

Or does it look like any of these:

https://store.blendmount.com/navigator-c10996.aspx

Thanks in advance!

Edited by slumlord

I will post some tomorrow. I use a Blendmount attached to the rear view mirror stem. I wired it to the passenger compartment fuse box along with my dashcam. The vehicle actually has a very easy path to the fuse box from the top of the windshield. I can provide more details if you want. Just let me know.

• Like 1

Ok great, I use blendmount in one of my other cars. But in my excursion I have some cheap mount because it had a standard mirror. Some mirrors have power behind them so I tapped into that for one radar and the other I had to wire to the fuse box. Just trying to be a step ahead when it gets here. What dash cam you have? Thanks HofstraJet!

2018 02 12 14.17.17

2018 02 12 14.17.14

2018 02 12 14.17.11

Hope the pics help. If you need something more specific, let me know. Didn't look like there was a connector behind the mirror for the mirror tap (and for the record, I wasn't able to use the mirror tap in my 2015 Expedition as the holes in the connector were too small for the mirror tap blades and I never got around to filing them down - worked fine in my 2012 Expy). I currently have mine wired to the fuse box with my dash cam.

Edited by HofstraJet
  • Like 1

Awesome! Those pics are more than good enough thanks! I have a blendmount in one of my other cars, I like it but it was expensive. But I found a cheap one that worked fine in my Excursion. I swapped the stock mirror for a homelink one but it also had a stock neck like the one in your picture. If I have to run a wire to the fuse box that is fine. I have that same Radar 9500ix right?

• 10 months later...

Hi Everyone-

I’m new to the forum and saw that there was some discussion in this thread about installing a dash cam or radar detector via the passenger side fuse panel.  Does anyone have a walkthrough available or is there an online resource that spells it out?  I understand the add a circuit premise but having never used one, a recommendation on hardware (I know they sell all-in-one rigs) and the appropriate fuse would be huge.  In my Audi’s I’ve always been able to tap right into the positive and negative wires available in the overhead console but not with the 18 Navigator... so much frustration.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

On 2/8/2018 at 10:53 PM, HofstraJet said:

I will post some tomorrow. I use a Blendmount attached to the rear view mirror stem. I wired it to the passenger compartment fuse box along with my dashcam. The vehicle actually has a very easy path to the fuse box from the top of the windshield. I can provide more details if you want. Just let me know.

Edited by KBG1978
Clarity