The 2019 Ford Raptor Ranger Is Your Diesel Off-Road Performance Truck Dream Come True

I have no doubt it will come here, in left hand drive and the 2.7 gasser as the engine. The question is when? I would guess in the 2nd model year for the US Ranger in somewhat limited numbers. We know there is a market for these types of trucks and Ford now cred to expand the Raptor offerings, as these are no poser trucks.

I can tell you that the initial reception of the trucks n Aussie Forums is all negative.

Great concerns about long term durability of such a highly stressed engine (2.0 I-4 Diesel + 10AT)

85% of Rangers sold into the Australian market are the 3.2 I-5 diesel and if that goes so to will a lot of sales,

this market and buyers cannot and will not get their heads parts a 2.0 diesel being unacceptable in an near $80K truck.

While the truck looks great, the engne is going to be a huge issue for that market.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

I can tell you that the initial reception of the trucks n Aussie Forums is all negative.

Great concerns about long term durability of such a highly stressed engine (2.0 I-4 Diesel + 10AT)

85% of Rangers sold into the Australian market are the 3.2 I-5 diesel and if that goes so to will a lot of sales,

this market and buyers cannot and will not get their heads parts a 2.0 diesel being unacceptable in an near $80K truck.

While the truck looks great, the engne is going to be a huge issue for that market.

Hah! I can understand their negativity about "smaller is better". When I look at the Aussie road trains, they make our US "Turnpike Doubles" look like Tonka toys!

As to the "negativity" is it just over the smaller motor??? If so that is easily corrected.

So Mike Levine wants us to wait 17 years as the latest? lol

I have no doubt it will come here, in left hand drive and the 2.7 gasser as the engine. The question is when? I would guess in the 2nd model year for the US Ranger in somewhat limited numbers. We know there is a market for these types of trucks and Ford now cred to expand the Raptor offerings, as these are no poser trucks.

That's what I'm thinking. The higher performance trimline, additional engines/transmissions, etc. are usually introduced in the second model year. Like with S197 Mustang where the Shelby GT500 came out in 2007 after the Mustang was out in 2005. I'm wondering about the timing here with the announcement in Thailand few hours ago and then the Chicago Auto Show press day just tomorrow. Announcement of American Ranger Raptor tomorrow? I doubt it but still tho... I will definitely be up past midnight to see what articles are published after embargo passes. I know that Edge Titanium Elite will be shown.

It's a bit odd that Ford did not try to fit the 2.7 or 3.0 TDCI V6 in the Ranger. But I think the I5 is nearing the end of the road on emissions so it was going to be replaced anyway. And all things equal, I rather have a powerful I4 than a I5 if V6 is out of the question.

• Like 1

I bet were getting that new 2.0 twin turbo diesel here in America too, as in a past Mustang GT500 post there was a list of all 2020 FMC engines and it listed a 2.0 Diesel....I wondered if it was for front wheel drive vehicles but now it appears its for the Ranger!

Edited by spudz64

Do you guys normally pay twice as much for a vehicle then we do. I realize there is some currency adjustments, currently US $1.00 =A$1.28 , but that is literally highway robbery. Are there other taxes such as VAT that account for the differences. In general is cost of living really that high. Next time I pay $20.00 for 4 pack of Treehouse or Trillium, I will count my blessing

The AUS$80k number jdp80 mentioned would be inclusive of 10% VAT. So it is about AUS$73k before VAT or about US$56k. But I expect that to be fully loaded (Ford Australia doesn't do options packages like in the US). That is about what I expect US spec Raptor with all the options to cost. US price will likely start lower around $45k without options given that F-150 Raptor starts at $50k and goes past $60k real quick once fully loaded.

Personally, I don't expect the price to be AUS$80k. I'm guessing about 10% premium over the existing top of the line Ranger there (Wildtrak 4WD 3.2 automatic AUS$67k). So about AUS$73k (~US$52k which seems about right.)

Here is another example... Escape Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost AWD is AUS$49,308 (fully loaded no option packs available). So it is $45k before VAT or about US$35k. Basically the same as US - US spec Escape Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost AWD with tech package and sunroof is $34,800.

Edited by bzcat

The US spec Ranger Raptor, if there is one, will probably start around $45k, and fully loaded around $55k. This is based on what Chevy Colorado ZR2 crew cab V6 costs (~$42k) but factor in Raptor-grade suspension upgrades and more standard equipment since ZR2 is more like FX4 than Raptor.

Also the US spec Ranger Raptor will most likely be a more powerful and faster truck than the rest of the world version (assuming 2.7 Ecoboost V6).

Looks like the tailgate lost the RANGER on the bottom. Wish that would carry over to the regular one. Also seems strange that the dash lost the little storage compartment on the top. I guess they dont want you putting things on the dash while your jumping sand dunes or what not. The IP looks like its also the one from the escape instead of the edge. Maybe they did this for the tach? Some of the switch gear is slightly different but it looks in line with what the ROW ranger already had. The center console arm rest is also different.

Do you guys normally pay twice as much for a vehicle then we do. I realize there is some currency adjustments, currently US $1.00 =A$1.28 , but that is literally highway robbery. Are there other taxes such as VAT that account for the differences. In general is cost of living really that high. Next time I pay $20.00 for 4 pack of Treehouse or Trillium, I will count my blessing

Aussie dollar is around 78 cents US or roughly equal to Canadian dollar.

A 4x4 XLT Crew cab is just over $50K or just under $40K in your money

Wildtrak with 4x4 and 3.2 I-5 diesel Auto is $67K - close to USD $50K

So on that, I'm thinking oud Ranger will be AUS$80K plus on road costs

or just over USD$69K......Sucks to be RHD country hey....

Edited by jpd80

Do you guys normally pay twice as much for a vehicle then we do.

I'm not sure about that, but about 25 years ago I made the acquaintance of an Aussie truck driver who made periodic trips to the USA to buy, disassemble, and ship big trucks back to Australia, where they'd be reassembled and put on the road. He said it was cheaper to do that than to try to import them whole.

IMOit will come here....powertrain 2.7 eco boost. Good call, a HALO will draw attention to the lineup as a whole....curious though....how would the Aussies have reacted if the engine was the 2.7 eco-boost rather than the 2.0 diesee...JPD80?

Hi Deanh, I was hoping for the 2.3 EB, given the timing of the Raptor's arrival in in Q4 later this year

but the 2.0 diesel with 217 HP and 370 lb ft.with Ford's 10-speed auto will give stirring performance.

A US Ranger Raptor deserves a TT 3.0 V6 with lenty of power and torque but not too much to upstage big brother.

• Like 1

A US Ranger Raptor deserves a TT 3.0 V6 with lenty of power and torque but not too much to upstage big brother.

pure speculation: first series of RRaptors(w.t.c.) gets 2.7TT

then top Bronco gets 3.0TT

THEN next series RRaptors(w.t.c.) get the 3.0TT

(w.t.c.) whatever they're called - I have doubts - as usual

• Like 1

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...revealed-67254

The wait is over: the most anticipated ute release of this year – the 2018 Ford Ranger Raptor – is here. The covers were thrown off what Ford has dubbed the “race-bred” Raptor at a special global reveal held in Bangkok, Thailand today (February 7) about 11.30pm AEDT. The event was a reveal-only, no driving.

First things first: Australia and the rest of the Asia-Pacific region will get the Raptor with a new 2.0-litre bi-turbo diesel engine (156kW/500Nm); (209 HP/370 lb ft) there’s been no official word as yet on any other engine variants, including whether a petrol version (based on the US F-150 Raptor’s 3.5-litre twin-turbocharged V6 petrol: 336kW/690Nm) will be an option in the not-too-distant future. Rumours abound though.

The Aussie market Raptor has the Ford-designed and built 10-speed automatic RWD transmission.

It’s a big unit: 5398mm (212.5") long, 2180mm (85.8") wide, 1873mm (73.7") high – and it has a wider track than its non-performance stablemate, the Ranger, with front and rear at 1710mm (67.3").

It certainly looks the business: intimidating front end, flared fenders, and chunky cabin.

Inside, the seats are technical suede, so you don’t slip around while driving the Raptor over bouncy stuff, and the interior includes blue stitching and leather accents.

The steering wheel has new lightweight magnesium paddle shifters and perforated leather hand grip sections.

The Raptor has Ford’s 'SYNC 3' media system and its 8.0-inch colour screen also doubles as the rear view camera display.

The approach (32.5°), departure (24° with tow-bar on), and ramp-over (24°) angles all top their class.

Active and passive safety tech includes all the usual culprits such as electronic stability control, roll mitigation, and more outdoorsy-type functions like 'Trailer Sway Control', 'Hill Start Assist', 'Hill Descent Control' and 'Load Adaptive Control'.

Off-road stats are on the right side of impressive with 283mm ground clearance, and approach (32.5°), departure (24° with tow-bar on), and ramp-over (24°) angles all topping their class – or so Ford reckons.

Massive news in the suspension stakes as well with the intro of Fox Racing Shox dampers, front and rear, designed for off-road endurance driving and offering up greater wheel travel, with 46.6mm pistons for front and rear.

The shocks – categorised as 'Position Sensitive Damping' type – are designed to cop the worst of undulating terrain at high speeds providing “higher damping forces at full jounce and rebound”, according to Ford.

Also, of course, gone are the Ranger’s rear leaf springs: the Raptor gets a coil springs, Watt’s link set-up, and solid rear axle.

It certainly looks the business: intimidating front end, flared fenders, and chunky cabin.

The Raptor also gets beefier rubber – All-Terrain BF Goodrich 285/70 R17 tyres, measuring 838mm in diameter and 285mm in width – and disc brakes.

It has Ford’s 'Terrain Management System', which has six drive modes: two for on-road (Normal and Sport) and four modes for off-road: Grass/Gravel/Snow, Mud/Sand, Rock, and the new Raptor-suited Baja mode (“for enthusiastic drivers!”), specially tuned for high-speed off-road performance, paring back vehicle systems, such as traction control, holding gears for longer and downshifting more energetically.

The Raptor’s tray is 1743mm (68.6") long and 1560mm (61.4") wide. It has a modified rear bumper with an integrated tow bar and two recovery hooks rated at 4.5 tonnes.

What will irk potential buyers is the fact the Raptor has a maximum towing capacity of 2500kg / 5,500 lbs (braked), 1000kg / 2,200 lbs below the segment’s benchmark.

Exterior colours include 'Lightning Blue', 'Race Red', 'Shadow Black', 'Frozen White', and the range’s hero colour: 'Conquer Grey', with contrasting 'Dyno Grey' accent colour.

No pricing was available at time of writing but we reckon Ford will slap a $80,000-$85,000 price-tag on it.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1