18 Navigator - Sync and iPhone Issues

HofstraJet

Whenever I have my iPhone plugged in to the USB port, the Sync system locks up, won't connect to the phone via Bluetooth or USB, and simply states "this media device is unavailable." Can't use any AppLink apps. Now that I'm writing this, I realize that haven't tried CarPlay, but I will.

If I unplug from USB, Bluetooth works fine and I can then plug into USB to charge, but if I change audio source or go to another screen (e.g., Nav), I cannot go back to the audio screen or reconnect to Bluetooth until I unplug USB.

I am pretty sure this problem was caused by the recent iPhone software update as everything was working fine when I got the vehicle, but want to see if anyone else is having issues on a different iOS version. Trying to find someone who hasn't yet done the upgrade to see if the iOS is really the cause.

I have a TMO iPhone X running 11.2.5.

Thanks!

First thing I would do is check your version of Sync and take it in to get it upgraded if there is a newer version available. I also find enabling car play works rather well (I run the same IOS). You can toggle back and fourth but you will have to enable it first for it to become available. The only thing you lose in Carplay is the Sync Navigation I believe.

First thing I would do is check your version of Sync and take it in to get it upgraded if there is a newer version available. I also find enabling car play works rather well (I run the same IOS). You can toggle back and fourth but you will have to enable it first for it to become available. The only thing you lose in Carplay is the Sync Navigation I believe.

Thanks. I checked the Sync website and it shows no updates for my vehicle. I dislike CarPlay as I lose the ability to use my phone and Waze (I know that's by design, but it doesn't work for me). Am going to try deleting the phone and readding and then a master reset if that doesn't work. Ugh.

Thanks. I checked the Sync website and it shows no updates for my vehicle. I dislike CarPlay as I lose the ability to use my phone and Waze (I know that's by design, but it doesn't work for me). Am going to try deleting the phone and readding and then a master reset if that doesn't work. Ugh.

Not sure exactly when but Waze support through Carplay is coming soon. Can't get here soon enough as Apple Maps is garbage.

Good Luck! Worst case scenario you have to take it in to report it. As with any software, it can be annoying but the devs aren't going to know there is problem until people start reporting it.

Edited by jcartwright99

If you're talking about the recent Waze/Ford announcement that was for Waze on Applink, not CarPlay.

After doing some more research, it looks like you are correct. From one of the articles that I found previously, this sentence made me think it would be in Carplay.

"This week at CES, Ford provided new details about a partnership with navigation app Waze, which will bring Waze's GPS directions onto the touch screen of SYNC 3 vehicles when connected via USB to an iPhone." The reason being when I plug in my iphone it automatically goes to Carplay.

However, I just found this tidbit from another article, "While integration with CarPlay would be much more ideal for Waze users, Apple doesn’t allow third-party navigation apps on CarPlay, including Waze and Google Maps." So I would have to disable Carplay, plug in my phone and it will be available from my Sync screen. That's interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One thing to keep in mind when trying to isolate/troubleshoot issues - be sure you are using an OEM Apple cable. My wife used a non-OEM cable in the car once and it caused all sorts of problems. I replaced with my OEM cable and it worked fine (well, not fine, but as expected).

Once you know things are working, then feel free to try other cables, but use an OEM cable when troubleshooting as the non-OEM cables cause their own issues.

IMO, the data ports just create too many problems unless you are using CarPlay.

Our strategy (on multiple cars) is to only use the "data" USB hookups when we want to use Apple CarPlay, and otherwise use a non-data USB port, or a 12v cigarette lighter charger port.

The Navigator has a 12V socket right in the phone pocket, so you can easily put a USB charger into that socket for some non-data connected ports.

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Charger-Output-iPhone-Samsung/dp/B00M6QODH2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1525799054&sr=8-6&keywords=dual+usb+charger+cigarette

On our 2018 Navigator, CarPlay and Android Auto both work great. I did turn off the "auto switch to smartphone projection" feature, whatever it's called. I find it annoying when the car switches to that UI by default, mostly because it has no "hard" button to get back to home and operate the actual car functions.

Edited by Dave_SF

Since I don't use the USB connection for any of the UI features, I simply have the fast USB-C charger plugged into the AC port in the back of the center console and run the cable onto the front center console. That way, I get a fast charge, not the 1A the Navigator USB ports put out. Can't wait for ProClip to make a mount for the 18 Navigator.

However, I just found this tidbit from another article, "While integration with CarPlay would be much more ideal for Waze users, Apple doesn’t allow third-party navigation apps on CarPlay, including Waze and Google Maps." So I would have to disable Carplay, plug in my phone and it will be available from my Sync screen. That's interesting.

I don't think you have to disable carplay to use Applink. You can "exit" the carplay screen when it pops up, or you can go into the SYNC Apple Carplay settings, and set it not to auto-display carplay when you plug in your iphone. Then you still have carplay available via a button, but you can also work with sync..

This is how I have my Android phone setup. It has Android Auto Enabled, but SYNC is set to NOT auto-display Android Auto. When I plug in, I get an additional button on the bottom of sync for "Andoid Auto".

I don't think you have to disable carplay to use Applink. You can "exit" the carplay screen when it pops up, or you can go into the SYNC Apple Carplay settings, and set it not to auto-display carplay when you plug in your iphone. Then you still have carplay available via a button, but you can also work with sync..

This is how I have my Android phone setup. It has Android Auto Enabled, but SYNC is set to NOT auto-display Android Auto. When I plug in, I get an additional button on the bottom of sync for "Andoid Auto".

Yes, you do have to disable carplay to use Waze. The reason is that when carplay is enabled, it completely takes over nav capability from Sync and it won't let Waze work through AppLink. The Apple and Android versions are slightly different in their functionality.

I used Waze this weekend a lot. I would give it a B/B- grade. For the most part, it wasn't bad. It was a little slower than normal but acceptable. Below are the issues I experienced.

1. Sound- Initially, I was see the Nav directions with no sound. I had it set for sound. I realized that my phone was both connected to bluetooth and cable connection. I disabled the bluetooth on my phone and suddenly the sound came back on. It's a weird setting and kind of a pain to diagnose. One would think that the sound would default to the plugged in connection since, you need to be plugged in for Waze to work.

2. You can't type when moving. However, I couldn't get the voice navigation to work. That was the biggest problem I saw. I could only put in the destination when stopped.

3. When starting up after using, the system had a hard time picking it back up. If I left it in the car plugged, it would just keep searching. If I took it out, it would do the same thing. Going back to the home screen seemed to resolve and or unplugging and plugging back in.

Overall, not bad but there are kinks that need to be worked out.

I used Waze this weekend a lot. I would give it a B/B- grade. For the most part, it wasn't bad. It was a little slower than normal but acceptable. Below are the issues I experienced.

1. Sound- Initially, I was see the Nav directions with no sound. I had it set for sound. I realized that my phone was both connected to bluetooth and cable connection. I disabled the bluetooth on my phone and suddenly the sound came back on. It's a weird setting and kind of a pain to diagnose. One would think that the sound would default to the plugged in connection since, you need to be plugged in for Waze to work.

2. You can't type when moving. However, I couldn't get the voice navigation to work. That was the biggest problem I saw. I could only put in the destination when stopped.

3. When starting up after using, the system had a hard time picking it back up. If I left it in the car plugged, it would just keep searching. If I took it out, it would do the same thing. Going back to the home screen seemed to resolve and or unplugging and plugging back in.

Overall, not bad but there are kinks that need to be worked out.

Ive used it but the turn by turn didnt show up in the HUD or instrument cluster for me, am I missing something or is that just the way it is? I dont like the voice turn by turn so I rely on the visuals.