2019 Corvette vs GT

coupe3w

And 2.7L bigger engine with 2 more cylinders.

Also, I don't think the GT team was even trying to beat a record. They were just doing some testing on a customer vehicle.

But here's the kicker - that Corvette isn't even legal at LeMans. 4.0L is the limit on blown engines.

Side note - was that article written by Fox News or by Chevrolet? Talk about fanbois......

• Like 1

And 2.7L bigger engine with 2 more cylinders.

Also, I don't think the GT team was even trying to beat a record. They were just doing some testing on a customer vehicle.

But here's the kicker - that Corvette isn't even legal at LeMans. 4.0L is the limit on blown engines.

Side note - was that article written by Fox News or by Chevrolet? Talk about fanbois......

Ford built the GT because of Le Mans. It was kept in a certain spec for racing purposes. It fulfilled it's obligations because it did win and brought attention to the anniversary. It did this all while being a test bed for Ford Performance and ecoboost technology. All the while selling out of the 250/year that will be built for the road at 500k a pop. However as a Ford fan, Chevy has been kicking the teeth of Ford for a while in the performance department and the ZR1 just adds to it. They also get more mileage and press out of it too. Within minutes of the press release, this was on the front page of the Detroit News and Free press, as well as Car and Driver. Maybe if they ever release the GT500 Ford will be able to trounce the guys in the RenCen.

Ever since Ford made the Mod motor GM / Chevy has kicked Fords butt in the HP Torque department. There is no replacement for displacement it's a fact. Ford designed the Mod motor to meet the stricter emissions, but GM has had no problem with a single camshaft and 2 valves per cylinder. Yes, the newer coyote motor is better but still more complex and physically a much bigger package.

Chevy is going for bragging rights, I get it, but Ford could counter that by adding a bigger motor or higher HP tune to the 3.5 in the GT, and likely get the record back.

With that said, hats off to Chevy for doing what they did with a car at a $125k price point. The car doesnt have the cache of the GT, but its still impressive nonetheless.

Chevy is going for bragging rights, I get it, but Ford could counter that by adding a bigger motor or higher HP tune to the 3.5 in the GT, and likely get the record back.

With that said, hats off to Chevy for doing what they did with a car at a $125k price point. The car doesnt have the cache of the GT, but its still impressive nonetheless.

Do you think if Ford did a HP upgrade to the GT now it would piss off the existing owners? I guess if it's done with a "tune" it would be OK.

They dont need a HP upgrade. The GT will be faster on other tracks, not that it really matters either way.

The GT is still drop dead gorgeous.

I agree it is a nice looking car. The test comparison is not legit anyway. They have to test with the same driver on the same day to be fair.

They dont need a HP upgrade. The GT will be faster on other tracks, not that it really matters either way.

The GT is still drop dead gorgeous.

Hum this was on a race track and it wasn't faster. At $400K+ it should be walking all over the Vette. Sorry akirby, but Ecoboost V6 doesn't cut it in a car of this caliber. Not saying there is anything wrong with the V6 TT, but it just doesn't belong in this car. I know Ford is trying to promote the Ecoboost technology and there is nothing wrong with that, but it just doesn't belong in this car. Just my opinion.

It won LeMans and Rolex 24 at Daytona. Cant be too bad. The Vette engine is not legal for LeMans or WEC.

The vette has a HP advantage but its nose heavy compared to the GT, so I expect the GT to be faster at tracks that favor handling over HP.

Edited by akirby

It won LeMans and Rolex 24 at Daytona. Cant be too bad. The Vette engine is not legal for LeMans or WEC.

The vette has a HP advantage but its nose heavy compared to the GT, so I expect the GT to be faster at tracks that favor handling over HP.

I know it won. And I am happy it did, but with the BOP rules it can be set back on it's heals on a moments notice.

My feeling is that the GT should be faster than the Vette at any race track weather it be a HP or handling track for the money.

I know it won. And I am happy it did, but with the BOP rules it can be set back on it's heals on a moments notice.

My feeling is that the GT should be faster than the Vette at any race track weather it be a HP or handling track for the money.

That’s just not practical. I’m sure that vette is faster than Ferraris and Lambos and other exotics as well.

That’s just not practical. I’m sure that vette is faster than Ferraris and Lambos and other exotics as well.

What's not practical? All Ford needs to do is build a slightly bigger V6 (same block / packaging) add a bit more boost and you have more HP. That engine is capable of 1000 HP+. Sounds very practical to me. And for the price it sure is doable.

What’s the benefit to Ford? It won’t affect the race cars either way - they make a lot less power than the road versions. It won’t sell more cars. Let’s say Ford does add a bit more power - Chevy will go back and add more too. I guarantee the GT is a much better daily driver.

What’s the benefit to Ford? It won’t affect the race cars either way - they make a lot less power than the road versions. It won’t sell more cars. Let’s say Ford does add a bit more power - Chevy will go back and add more too. I guarantee the GT is a much better daily driver.

Then why go and race at all? Didn't Ford build the GT to win Le Mans which they did. Isn't competition good for the marque? So what if Chevy adds more power Ford can do the same thing or can they?

Then why go and race at all? Didn't Ford build the GT to win Le Mans which they did. Isn't competition good for the marque? So what if Chevy adds more power Ford can do the same thing or can they?

Keep calm, watch this video. The race GT with the V6 Ecoboost is a full 10 seconds or more faster than the consumer GT. The Corvette wouldn't stand a chance. And add a more complex track that favors handling like "the ring" - not even a fair fight.

I had a discussion about the Corvette with a friend of mine who is employed with GM the other day. He does clay modeling for their performance cars. Yes, they still do that. Anyways, we got on the topic of the Vette and he explained that if Chevy didn't do the outrageous higher end Vettes, not many folks would by them. He called them Halo Vette's. These halo vettes get the mid life crisis guys into the lower level vettes. Their demographic is shrinking big time. That's is one of the reasons they are switching to a mid engine car to get more successful younger buyers, as well as better performance. They can throw a supercharger on these and put race suspensions and giants wings that can hit great numbers on the track. However, they are still a low tech, old man performance car in the eyes of many under the age of 45. This is the last hurrah for the Vette in it's current form. The current iteration will be around for a few (5 at most) more years but the mid engine car is the future of the Corvette. They will be produced in conjunction for a few years, then the front engine will be dropped.

In regards to the GT vs the ZR1, we have one hero lap time going against a car magazine lap time which in itself is dumb. Put both cars on a track with two equally skilled racers/drivers on the same day and see who gets the best times. Better yet, make it multiple laps in a row. But hey, GM is getting the mileage out of that lap

Ford built the GT because of Le Mans. It was kept in a certain spec for racing purposes. It fulfilled it's obligations because it did win and brought attention to the anniversary. It did this all while being a test bed for Ford Performance and ecoboost technology. All the while selling out of the 250/year that will be built for the road at 500k a pop. However as a Ford fan, Chevy has been kicking the teeth of Ford for a while in the performance department and the ZR1 just adds to it. They also get more mileage and press out of it too. Within minutes of the press release, this was on the front page of the Detroit News and Free press, as well as Car and Driver. Maybe if they ever release the GT500 Ford will be able to trounce the guys in the RenCen.

Interesting comment, what do you mean by "kicking the teeth"? In 5 years a GT owner will likely be able to sell his GT at a nice profit, in 5 years the ZR1 owner will undoubtedly take a loss, as will an owner of the the ZL1, Z06, ZL1 1LE, etc - if it has a GM stamp on it it loses value. The GT represents a clear benchmark in automotive development, consider the Z06 which slightly overmatches the GT in HP and definitely has 100 more ft-lb torque yet the GT is considerably faster around a track than the Z06. I really don't see it happening however should someone at Ford want to beat the ZR-1, I doubt they'd have to match the 750 HP rating of the LT5 to do it, my guess is it'd take no more than 700HP in a GT to beat the GT's time, though quite honestly it may well be a driver intent on beating the mark could do it w/o an any added power at all. While I believe Billy Johnson was not actually attempting to set a course record, without a doubt the GM team had one goal in mind when they showed up not even two weeks later.

As far as Camaro vs. Mustang - go over to gmauthority.com and you'll find "the situation is bleak" in reference to the steady decline of the Camaro since it's redesign. I actually went to buy a Camaro sadily based on the COTY reviews, when I checked the price on a V6 - $38k I kinda decided against, however when I opened the door the decision against it was made, it's just too small I am not young and I know if you're sitting in a car for the first time and thinking "it's not so bad" - with regard to comfort, a year down the road - if that you're going to hate it. On the other hand, the trip to the Ford dear not long after reveal the Mustang was "just right", it looks good, it feels good to sit in, having for a while I find it "fit's like a glove" it's frankly amazing how intuitive the interior design of the S550 actually is. Take the Mustang emblem off the car, I know I'd still buy it. In fact there is but one person near me that bought the 2016 Camaro - they traded it just a tad over 4 months later - because it is so small, bought a Honda CRV instead and actually pocketed some cash. IMO Ford nailed it on the S550 Mustang. Frankly as much as C&D and MT want everyone to believe it's all about road course times - let's get real - drag strip times still rule when it comes to the Mustang and Camaro - and again Ford nailed it on that one. However, where Ford has really turned it on is with the Expedition and Navigator redesign, I don't think GM really cares one way or another about the Camaro vs. Mustang - it's a fun competition, however the new Expedition and Navigator have put fear into their hearts as Ford is going for GM's bread and butter.

• Like 1

Interesting comment, what do you mean by "kicking the teeth"? In 5 years a GT owner will likely be able to sell his GT at a nice profit, in 5 years the ZR1 owner will undoubtedly take a loss, as will an owner of the the ZL1, Z06, ZL1 1LE, etc - if it has a GM stamp on it it loses value. The GT represents a clear benchmark in automotive development, consider the Z06 which slightly overmatches the GT in HP and definitely has 100 more ft-lb torque yet the GT is considerably faster around a track than the Z06. I really don't see it happening however should someone at Ford want to beat the ZR-1, I doubt they'd have to match the 750 HP rating of the LT5 to do it, my guess is it'd take no more than 700HP in a GT to beat the GT's time, though quite honestly it may well be a driver intent on beating the mark could do it w/o an any added power at all. While I believe Billy Johnson was not actually attempting to set a course record, without a doubt the GM team had one goal in mind when they showed up not even two weeks later.

As far as Camaro vs. Mustang - go over to gmauthority.com and you'll find "the situation is bleak" in reference to the steady decline of the Camaro since it's redesign. I actually went to buy a Camaro sadily based on the COTY reviews, when I checked the price on a V6 - $38k I kinda decided against, however when I opened the door the decision against it was made, it's just too small I am not young and I know if you're sitting in a car for the first time and thinking "it's not so bad" - with regard to comfort, a year down the road - if that you're going to hate it. On the other hand, the trip to the Ford dear not long after reveal the Mustang was "just right", it looks good, it feels good to sit in, having for a while I find it "fit's like a glove" it's frankly amazing how intuitive the interior design of the S550 actually is. Take the Mustang emblem off the car, I know I'd still buy it. In fact there is but one person near me that bought the 2016 Camaro - they traded it just a tad over 4 months later - because it is so small, bought a Honda CRV instead and actually pocketed some cash. IMO Ford nailed it on the S550 Mustang. Frankly as much as C&D and MT want everyone to believe it's all about road course times - let's get real - drag strip times still rule when it comes to the Mustang and Camaro - and again Ford nailed it on that one. However, where Ford has really turned it on is with the Expedition and Navigator redesign, I don't think GM really cares one way or another about the Camaro vs. Mustang - it's a fun competition, however the new Expedition and Navigator have put fear into their hearts as Ford is going for GM's bread and butter.

You're going a bit off topic there. What I was mostly referring to was that in recent years, the Camaro has handed the Mustang it's butt on both the track and the strip. It has, largely thanks to the widely available 1lE packages, been a better bang for the buck in the performance category. The 2015 Mustang redesign while great added weight and the 2016 Camaro went on a serious diet. While the GT350 is a great package, it's cost plus ADM make the SS 1LE a better value. The R is in a different category but for the price, a Corvette MAY be a better value for performance (two different types of cars I know). The GT/ZR1 comparison is strictly a media pissing contest for headlines. The GT is the better car period.

Now history has a habit of repeating itself, if you look at sales. With the exception of a few months here and there, the Mustang has outsold the Camaro. It's been pretty significant too. While Big Al at Chevy loves the performance bragging rights, 95% of the people who own these cars don't track it. Daily driving becomes more of a factor. Will the Camaro survive, probably but the car is shares it's platform with is barely selling as well. I would absolutely laugh if they discontinued the Camaro again.

You're going a bit off topic there. What I was mostly referring to was that in recent years, the Camaro has handed the Mustang it's butt on both the track and the strip. It has, largely thanks to the widely available 1lE packages, been a better bang for the buck in the performance category. The 2015 Mustang redesign while great added weight and the 2016 Camaro went on a serious diet. While the GT350 is a great package, it's cost plus ADM make the SS 1LE a better value. The R is in a different category but for the price, a Corvette MAY be a better value for performance (two different types of cars I know). The GT/ZR1 comparison is strictly a media pissing contest for headlines. The GT is the better car period.

Now history has a habit of repeating itself, if you look at sales. With the exception of a few months here and there, the Mustang has outsold the Camaro. It's been pretty significant too. While Big Al at Chevy loves the performance bragging rights, 95% of the people who own these cars don't track it. Daily driving becomes more of a factor. Will the Camaro survive, probably but the car is shares it's platform with is barely selling as well. I would absolutely laugh if they discontinued the Camaro again.

Exactly. GM puts a priority on beating Ford performance by throwing big honking engines in otherwise unattractive packages with teeth jarring springs. And for no other reason than bragging rights. They certainly don’t sell better.

There is no reason for Ford to respond to any of that. They build performance vehicles you can live with everyday and if that means losing a couple of seconds on the track, so be it.

Yes, it’s nice to have Ford bragging rights but you can’t take those to the bank.