Lincoln News! I have 3 big scoops from my source at NAIAS this past weekend!

The negative PR when some kid dies because they open the door at speed and it flys open or they open it when a car passes when park and it slams closed and kills them would not be worth the cost. They are called Suicide doors for a reason.

I dont see that much different than a van with a slider. Either way child locks and the electronic nannies that protect us from ourselves currently, Im sure will be in play.

I never understood how somethings you have to just teach your kids not to do and others have to have fail safes. Stove top being one. Dont touch the damn burner when hot. Dont open the damn car door while moving!!!! Ugh! I say let natural selection work some stuff out.

• Like 4

I dont see that much different than a van with a slider. Either way child locks and the electronic nannies that protect us from ourselves currently, Im sure will be in play.

I never understood how somethings you have to just teach your kids not to do and others have to have fail safes. Stove top being one. Dont touch the damn burner when hot. Dont open the damn car door while moving!!!! Ugh! I say let natural selection work some stuff out.

Agreed. Rolls-Royce seems to do fine with suicide doors. And as mentioned already, there's long been solutions. A magnetic lock, maybe a hollow door impact beam that has a solenoid-operated plunger in the B-pillar. Except for the need to independently open doors, you could even have the front doors overlap the rears, like Super Cabs.

Agreed. Rolls-Royce seems to do fine with suicide doors. And as mentioned already, there's long been solutions. A magnetic lock, maybe a hollow door impact beam that has a solenoid-operated plunger in the B-pillar. Except for the need to independently open doors, you could even have the front doors overlap the rears, like Super Cabs.

1 a single fatal accident and youre in a PR disaster. You will be a lead story on every tv station and automotive blog all for a gimmic door design, this is a ohhh Tesla has a gimmic door we should have one too. There is a reason these are not used on everyday cars.

2. Ford cant even design a normal door latch right in the past 15 years and yall think they be able to design a totally different one that opens backwards?

Edited by jasonj80

Exactly!!!! I am so goddamn tired of the constant need to idiot-proof EVERYTHING. It's a sign we've truly transformed into an idiocracy. This nonsense has only made cars more expensive, heavier, and ugly.

Edited by The Handler

I realize this is off topic and probably needs to be move to an appropriate topic. However, I am not understanding the amount of negativity and disdain for Ford, these forums and its members. Unfortunately, the folks that had the most to contribute have now turned into the folks added to my blocked list. Thats a shame. I realize Ford has not been exactly gracious to employees and dealers and techs. But if the glass is that damn empty then its time to move on.

• Like 1

I realize this is off topic and probably needs to be move to an appropriate topic. However, I am not understanding the amount of negativity and disdain for Ford, these forums and its members. Unfortunately, the folks that had the most to contribute have now turned into the folks added to my blocked list. Thats a shame. I realize Ford has not been exactly gracious to employees and dealers and techs. But if the glass is that damn empty then its time to move on.

Im seriously considering it once we go down in May

Suicide doors, hope it happens. Lincoln needs a feature that differentiates the Continental from the rest.

When I was a kid, we had a 1964 Lincoln with suicide doors. Besides being cool, it was surprisingly practical. Suicide doors make entry/egress easy.

I hope so too. I think it would be a badass differentiating feature with a historical connotation.

1. Lincoln Aviator Concept will be at NYIAS with the production model coming sooner than NYIAS 2019.

2. The mid-cycle refresh of the Continental will have suicide doors!!!! This was a shocker to me but he assured me this was being worked on as we speak...

3. Ford has relinquished the current Mustang platform to Lincoln for them to do with as they wish... Mark X anyone? As all MK names disappear by 2020.

Not too bad, close.

• Like 2

Not in my DNA.

This is the Ford forum. There is a Lincoln forum for people that enjoy that type of vehicle. Either the Lincoln stuff should go where it belongs our eliminate it completely. I'll die on this hill.

Pioneer, stop being a zealous pedant. I enjoy your commentary but this is getting a bit ridiculous. For whatever reason, most folks who post in the underlying specific forums don't get much in discussion. I don't know why, as I am not a psychologist who understands why people click on one link and not the other, but that is the case. In that regard a little bit of leniency and moving the conversation runs it course by the admins is appreciated. Why is this so hard to understand?

Why post a topic in the wrong forum when most people supposedly use the new post function and if doesn't matter where it originates from?

Come on man, Lincoln is part of Ford. Whether you like it or not. The Lincoln motor company shtick is to try and separate it for sales purposes. End of the day its still, at worst, a subsidiary of Ford Motor Company. Making it RELEVANT to the Ford Motor Company discussion.

We post Edge and F-150 news here as well even though they have separate forums. Typically the Mods are pretty good at moving the discussions to the proper forums after the discussion dies down a bit. (You're helping keep it in the FOMOCO Discussion forum... )

Pioneer, stop being a zealous pedant. I enjoy your commentary but this is getting a bit ridiculous. For whatever reason, most folks who post in the underlying specific forums don't get much in discussion. I don't know why, as I am not a psychologist who understands why people click on one link and not the other, but that is the case. In that regard a little bit of leniency and moving the conversation runs it course by the admins is appreciated. Why is this so hard to understand?

It's because people don't want to search through 18 sub forums to find info they want to read about/discuss. And if you don't set up the new content feature correctly, you may miss out on topics you might have insight on.

I'm not going to post articles in some subforum nobody makes it to for it to get buried and not discussed, otherwise there'd be no point in posting it. If it were "FORD BRAND DISCUSSION", I could understand the complaints, but it being an FMC - the company as a whole - section, I don't see the problem in posting Lincoln news here.

And I don't understand why it's so difficult to just not click a link if you know it's something you're not interested in. If I despise brand X, and there's a thread on brand X, I don't open it (well, I open it to get it off the "new content" page, but otherwise I don't look at it). Not that hard to do.