2020 Explorer

On a sidenote I notice the Taurus isn't canceled as predicted either, hopefully that means a rwd replacement is being worked on along with Explorer.

People working at Chicago said they are retooling Late Spring of next year...I'm assuming the Taurus is just going to be winded down from now till then.

There really isn't a market for a full sized sedan any more.

Sad but true, the Taurus will probably be gone after 2019. My dream would be a CD6 based RWD car about the size of the current Taurus with more interior room. Top motor 5.2L FPC with a manual trans and more aggressive style kind of like the 2007 Interceptor. That would get me out of a Mustang. Wont be holding my breath though. Obviously that is a pipe dream on every level. One can dream though.

• Like 1

off-topic / just heard

Is the new Focus going to be shown in Geneva in March?

I'd assume so, unless there is some Auto Show in China we are missing?

Focus @ stand-alone debut sometime during April

tho guess that could mean it WILL Be @ Beijing? (starts Apr25)
Edited by 2b2

I'd assume so, unless there is some Auto Show in China we are missing?

Yes, Beijing Auto Show and Shanghai Auto Show alternates on even/odd years in April. If Focus doesn't bow in Geneva, it should in Beijing this year.

Aviator and Explorer are probably ticketed for Chicago and NY. Not sure which one bows first though.

I'm expecting the small C utility in Beijing if Focus debuts at Geneva.

And we should see the new Kuga at Paris in Sept.

Latest round of Explorer spy shots:

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/01/2020-ford-explorer-get-st-version-400hp/

Looks like Ford is reviving Mercedes' single center mounted wiper arm/blade :hysterical:

2020-ford-explorer-1.jpg

2020-ford-explorer-2.jpg

2020-ford-explorer-3.jpg

2020-ford-explorer-4.jpg

2020-ford-explorer-6.jpg

Can't tell much of anything from that, outside of it looking like a two box vehicle LOL

The Beltline is narrower then current D4...i'll give it that much.

Sad but true, the Taurus will probably be gone after 2019. My dream would be a CD6 based RWD car about the size of the current Taurus with more interior room. Top motor 5.2L FPC with a manual trans and more aggressive style kind of like the 2007 Interceptor. That would get me out of a Mustang. Wont be holding my breath though. Obviously that is a pipe dream on every level. One can dream though.

Maybe, they'll kill the Fusion and keep Taurus and make it RWD? Might as well dream really big.

• Like 1

No the beltline is the area above the wheels to the windows...the front end doesn't seem as thick vs the current explorer

If this is the same mule as before, everything was exactly the same as the current model aft of the A-pillar. I think what youre seeing is an illusion created by the longer hood (making it appear lower).

Same concept but bigger. Territory was closer to Edge size.

Explorer will probably be over 5 meters long.

The internal dimensions of Territory almost exactly matched Explorer,

it was like someone pealed back the layers of fat and made it RWD,

14 years ago....

I expect RWD Explorer to be longer, more room and seriously challenge Tahoe.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

The internal dimensions of Territory almost exactly matched Explorer,

it was like someone pealed back the layers of fat and made it RWD,

14 years ago....

I expect RWD Explorer to be longer, more room and seriously challenge Tahoe.

I don't think it'll be THAT big. Probably more like traverse.

Ill be interested to see if there is an impact on sales from moving from front wheel drive to rear drive wheel drive on the Explorer. The vast majority of non-enthusiasts do not view front wheel drive unfavorably, particularly those living in cold weather states. Im curious to see if they lose sales in those cold weather states, due to people declining to spend the extra money on the four-wheel-drive system or they cant afford it.

Ill be interested to see if there is an impact on sales from moving from front wheel drive to rear drive wheel drive on the Explorer. The vast majority of non-enthusiasts do not view front wheel drive unfavorably, particularly those living in cold weather states. Im curious to see if they lose sales in those cold weather states, due to people declining to spend the extra money on the four-wheel-drive system or they cant afford it.

I'm guessing 95% of those people already buy AWD anyway so I don't expect it to be a big difference.

I do expect higher trim levels including the ST model and more features. So sales may not jump that much but ATPs should go up quite a bit. That was part of the reason the project got approved in the first place.

The majority of SUV's sold in the north/cold/snow climate are AWD anyways so it won't make a difference.