New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
Billsrey

Convert 12v acc sockets to ignition on only

I have a dash cam I have to plug in every time I drive because the acc sockets are hot all the time. Is there a way to wire the socket on the console so it works with ignition only?

Add a relay. Using a standard square Bosch type, cut the power wire to the power point. Connect the cut ends to pins 30 and 87. Connect pin 85 to ground the power point ground. Run a wire from a switched power source, starting at the source with a 3 amp fuse in a holder to pin 86. This setup will keep the load rating of the power point, and the 3 amp fuse will more than feed the relay and provide 'thermal event' protection.

I realize that this is an old thread but just ran across it and thought I'd add to the discussion.

There is another way of wiring the camera so that it comes on with the ignition and turns off when the ignition is off. Plug the camera into a wiring harness that's connected to the mirror. That's only a few minutes, took me less than 5 to plug in the harness and add a couple of wire ties for strain relief. Works ok, and no wires dangling down to get in the way.

Here's what I use to power my radar detector:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I1XF4XU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_aJSeBb13APNAM

You would choose a harness for your particular mirtor and camera connection.