Can the Ford Ranger crash Chevy's small truck party?

I checked out the 2018 ranger brochure from New Zealand and you are right, I didnt see a moonroof, heated steering wheel or memory anything. It did have dual climate control and heated seats(not cooled). I would think we would get what the 2018 has available interior wise since they are identical but I could be wrong.

I think the 2019 lariat had a leather dash. If you look at the pics, you can see the contrast stitching on it.

I would suspect that it will have all of that, what I don't see on it is the level of F-150 configurations (I see them doing away with some of it there too). There's probably going to be one, maybe 2 on the XLT; option packages at each level, with one or two free standing options. I see the top of the line sticker at 43K range fully loaded looking at the Ridgeline, Tacoma and Colorado. (Raptor being 3K-5K More) These will be much more Driveway pickups than F-150's. I also don't think this market is topped out. With the RAM/F-150/Silverado growing so much people that occasional use trucks will want to down size, or may never considering owning one as they live in a more dense city and don't want to deal with the size of it.

I think he means manual? But unless he did a trans swap Im pretty sure the Mustang didnt get a 6-speed manual until 2015.

Of course he means manual. I was being sarcastic to point out that you can’t say 5 speed or 6 speed when you mean manual because we have 5 and 6 speed automatics. One of my many pet peeves.

Of course I don’t think we’ll have that problem if you say I have a 8, 9 or 10 speed. At least not since they pretty much stopped making 10 speed bikes.

Hmmm - because it is a better truck than the competition -

What is up with the engine critics? Power and torque for that motor are solid. Have you talked to a Mustang or Focus RS owner about that 2.3 Ecoboost? Last Mustang guy I spoke with was gushing with joy!

I think some people forget that 4 cylinders were prevalent in this market back in the day and they were not even close performance wise to these new 4 cylinders.

• Like 1

If you dont like the Ecoboost 2.3, you probably havent driven one. I have driven one. I have an Ecoboost Mustang on order.

I drove one last weekend.....it drove nicely, but I was spoiled by the GT I drove previously....

I took a 2016 Explorer out with the 2.3L EB 4 cylinder....it moved it out quite smartly, I was pleasantly surprised.

I think some people forget that 4 cylinders were prevalent in this market back in the day and they were not even close performance wise to these new 4 cylinders.

And the truck we are talking about today will likely approach 5000 lbs for an unladen crew cab 4x4. A 2019 Ranger in that spec is almost exactly the same size as a 2nd gen 4x4 Sport Trac which had a curb weight of 4840 lbs when equipped with the V8. The Trac had an aluminum hood and composite bed. The Ranger has an aluminum hood and tailgate. The V8 is no doubt heavier that the 2.3 but the steel bed on the Ranger is probably heavier than the composite bed on the Sport Trac. The curb weights should be close.

I live in the Appalachian hills of Western PA. The road I travel on a daily basis rises 500 feet in elevation in less than one mile. I seriously doubt the 2.3L EB in a truck weighing nearly 5000 lbs even without any load in the bed or pulling a loaded trailer is going to get appreciably better fuel mileage in that type of terrain than my V8 Sport Trac. It will be under boost most of its life. What I will lose is the sweet sound of that V8 and for that I will gain a several hundred dollar per month truck payment. :doh: No thanks.

• Like 1

And the truck we are talking about today will likely approach 5000 lbs for an unladen crew cab 4x4.

The lightest SC F-150 4x2 is about 4500lbs with the 2.7, 4600 for the Crew with the same engine. If the Ranger is heavier than that, while using the smaller engine, then Ford is doing this truck half-assed by not going full aluminum.

• Like 2

Are you sure about that? Ford may want to keep that as exclusive to the F-150 in North America. Do any of the other markets that are getting the Ranger Raptor have access to the F-150 Raptor?

Well one things for sure, global or not there was plenty of rumors here about all kinds of Raptors coming out the woodwork... Bronco, Ranger, Expy...

RAPTOR MANIA!!!!

At the least, Ford doesn't seem opposed to the possibility of expanding the Raptor need

The lightest SC F-150 4x2 is about 4500lbs with the 2.7, 4600 for the Crew with the same engine. If the Ranger is heavier than that, while using the smaller engine, then Ford is doing this truck half-assed by not going full aluminum.

I truly believe that the coming Ranger is only a "stop-gap" intended to get Ford back in the compact truck market in North America and that the next iteration of T6 will be much more aluminum intensive to get curb weight around 3-3.5K....

• Like 1

Per Wikipedia, it says the current t6 ranger has a weight of 4114 to 4339 lbs. doesnt say what engine was used in those numbers though and I have no idea what ROW ranger has any aluminum or not, but that should at least give you an idea of what we should expect.

Per Wikipedia, it says the current t6 ranger has a weight of 4114 to 4339 lbs. doesnt say what engine was used in those numbers though and I have no idea what ROW ranger has any aluminum or not, but that should at least give you an idea of what we should expect.

Now add in all the stuff you have to include to meet US crash ratings, all the new standards features and the beefed up frame. You're in F150 territory.

I have a 2013 Mustang GT 6 speed. I have some mods done and it dyno'ed 432 hp and 415 lb ft to the rear wheels.

I was goofing off one afternoon and a stop light Gran Prix developed with a EB 'Stang. We left pretty even, but I gotta tell you that little turbo 4 had me by half a fender in the first 50-75 feet. Pretty sure he was an auto. When my Coyote hit 3500 rpm; it was over. I could see his grill after I shifted to 2nd.

Needless to say; I was impressed.

It must have been an automatic. Either that or he was a very good driver. I have seen the Ecoboosts with sticks run at the track and they bog really bad at launch unless the driver launches like he is trying to break it or slips the clutch just right to prevent bogging and/or wheelspin. Few drivers can get it right.

I'm sure it will have "best in class towing". I worry it'll get 3mpg doing it.

It must have been an automatic. Either that or he was a very good driver. I have seen the Ecoboosts with sticks run at the track and they bog really bad at launch unless the driver launches like he is trying to break it or slips the clutch just right to prevent bogging and/or wheelspin. Few drivers can get it right.

If he shifted a manual; he did it with no nose dive at all ( was watching). I'm assuming the low rpm of the turbo and the converter "flashing" is what got him going out of the hole.

• Like 1

All 2013 mustang GTs are 6 speeds.

I thought about that after I posted, but did not see an "edit" function.

My 2013 is a 6 speed manual. I'm old school....I don't judge anyone who wants an automatic; but I've been rowing gears since I was 15. My F-250 is an auto and sometimes I wish it wasn't.

Actually you just have to put your cursor inside the post for it to appear. Still a silly design if you ask me.

Hmm. Mine is always there on my posts, it's just a lighter gray until you put your cursor in your post and then it becomes a darker gray.

Edited by rmc523