2018 Navigator - RFID Blocking Windshield?

HofstraJet

Mount toll tag in this location over the dotted section of the windshield

Thanks for the pic Mango. Does this Navigator have the Heads Up Display? Has it been confirmed from the tolling authority that Billings are occurring from the toll tag being read and not the license plate?

Edited by LHB

• 3 weeks later...

TLew .. I have posted pics in the '2018 Navigator Photos' thread.

I moved from Grand Prairie to Houston area in 2012. I have kept on NTTA for several reasons like NTTA doesn't charge for tags and you get right through when you call their customer service. Unfortunately I doubt billing can be made from license plates to toll tag accounts when the tolling authority is different from the toll tag. In this area there are several tolling authorities. If I can't get NTTA tags to work I'm thinking I'll have cancel my NTTA account and get an HCTRA License Plate tag (UGH!).

UPDATE: 1) I have been getting charges to my NTTA account, some dating back many weeks. I have to call NTTA to find if each charge is from a Toll Tag read or License Plate. They have to date shown only one Toll Tag read (one of several HCTRA charges). All the other charges (some HCTRA and several TXTAG) have been by License Plate.

2) So, the good news is the cooperating tolling authorities seem to share their account/license-plate info and cross bill by license plates ... so no higher non-tag tolls and no violation tickets.

3) after trying temporary (scotch tape rather than permenant stick-on) locations under, right and upper left of mirror and by holding out open sunroof and out driver window without success (except for one alleged tag read taped upper left of mirror) now have the toll tag stuck to a vinyl patch and the patch stuck on the outside of the windshield, driver side lower corner below registration/inspection sticker but still not reading ... perhaps too low/close to metal.

4) On last call to NTTA to check source of charges (tag or license) I asked to talk to supervisor. He insisted tag must be stuck to inside of windshield under mirror as specified in their instructions. He is sending me another tag which I will apply per their instructions (I do not expect it to work). If it works I will happily report it here. If it does not work I will suggest they supply another tag for me to apply to the frit dotted area to left of camera assembly above the mirror per the Owners Manual 2nd Printing page 104.

5) I will update here. ... if anyone has info/experiences with this topic please share on this thread.

2018 Lincoln Navigator Delivered in June - can not get HCTRA (Harris County Toll Road Authority) toll tag to read - have placed 3 in different places including the recommended location to left of mirror in frit area. This is a major problem because our neighborhood requires a HCTRA tag to open resident gate. Any suggestions?

2018 Lincoln Navigator Delivered in June - can not get HCTRA (Harris County Toll Road Authority) toll tag to read - have placed 3 in different places including the recommended location to left of mirror in frit area. This is a major problem because our neighborhood requires a HCTRA tag to open resident gate. Any suggestions?

HCTRA has an externally mounted toll tag (for mount on front license plate) but I don’t know if your resident gate will recognise it.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the moonroof also has the infrared blocking glass? Wondering if sticking the tag up there might solve my neighborhood issue.

Our neighborhood equipment is not as strong as the tollway readers and there have been problems with the license plate mounted tags reading. I've asked our Gate Committee for trouble shooting input and recommendations - getting old going through the visitor line every time we come home.

My community transponder sticker didn't work on the windshield. They have an external sticker that they use for motorcycles which they put on the corner of my front right headlight. Can't see it (clear sticker on the white part of the lens) and works fine.

• Like 1

I use the HCTRA toll tag and have it stuck just to the left of the rear view mirror, mostly in the black dotted section.

When I look at my HCTRA account, I can see most of the transactions are listed as "AVI transaction". There was a brief period where I just used the license plate before I got the toll tag, and those transactions are listed as "Video transaction". So, I assume "AVI transaction" means it scanned the tolltag itself and things are working as expected.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the HCTRA toll tag and have it stuck just to the left of the rear view mirror, mostly in the black dotted section.

When I look at my HCTRA account, I can see most of the transactions are listed as "AVI transaction". There was a brief period where I just used the license plate before I got the toll tag, and those transactions are listed as "Video transaction". So, I assume "AVI transaction" means it scanned the tolltag itself and things are working as expected.

May I ask how long it takes for your tolls to post to your HCTRA account and have you noticed differences between HCTRA and TXTAG toll postings?

My experience was that toll tag charges (DFW area & Houston area) appeared on my NTTA account within a very few hours. Since getting my 2018 Navigator and trying multiple NTTA toll tag stickers on various locations all except one has been charged by license read and have taken from just over a week to multiple weeks to post. TXTAG (Grand Pkwy) seems to be the slowest to post (by license read). I have to call NTTA to find if the postings are from toll tag or license read (no such indication on my acct records that I can see with my online account access).

May I ask how long it takes for your tolls to post to your HCTRA account and have you noticed differences between HCTRA and TXTAG toll postings?

My experience was that toll tag charges (DFW area & Houston area) appeared on my NTTA account within a very few hours. Since getting my 2018 Navigator and trying multiple NTTA toll tag stickers on various locations all except one has been charged by license read and have taken from just over a week to multiple weeks to post. TXTAG (Grand Pkwy) seems to be the slowest to post (by license read). I have to call NTTA to find if the postings are from toll tag or license read (no such indication on my acct records that I can see with my online account access).

Unfortunately I haven't paid attention to that. I usually only look at my account every couple of months.

The next time I'm on one of the tollways I'll have to see what happened within a day or so after using it. I'm primarily on Beltway 8 in Houston, and that's where the HCTRA tag seems to have worked.

Unfortunately I haven't paid attention to that. I usually only look at my account every couple of months.

The next time I'm on one of the tollways I'll have to see what happened within a day or so after using it. I'm primarily on Beltway 8 in Houston, and that's where the HCTRA tag seems to have worked.

Thanks for response.

The one toll tag read (on the Navigator) was on Beltway 8 mainline between 290 & I10. Other Beltway 8 tolls on that same trip showed up days later as license reads.

My NTTA account posted toll records show toll date&time and posting date&time ... (but not license or tag read).

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had any success resolving this issue? I recently got a 2018 Reserve with HUD and my E-Z Pass does not work on three major toll booths in northern virginia. I have tried multiple different locations on the windshield but nothing seems to work.

<Begin Rant>

I have had ZERO luck getting any definitive information. Lincoln Owners Manual (2nd printing) indicates to place in the dotted frit area to the left of the camera assembly above the mirror.. can not get any knowledgeable confirmation of there being a problem ... just people reading the manual to me or saying 'Ghee ... I haven't heard of any problem'.

Much the same from the NTTA (North Texas Toll Authority) ... mount as instructions say (under mirror mount). If it does not work, bring vehicle into one of their locations (Dallas area ... I'm in Houston) where they can check for a windshield location that will work (if any)... If it doesn't work ,, nothing more they can do (for this I'd have to drive 4 hours each way) but they really don't know of a general problem.

I have tried pretty much all possible locations.

Right now I have a tag under the mirror as NTTA instructions say.... it does not read. Fortunately NTTA and the other tolling authorities in Texas share their databases and when the toll tags don't read they bill by the license plate even across the tolling authorities... just takes a week or so longer to show on my account (at the proper discount rate) and where toll tag read would be required (like DFW or DAL airports, were I still living in Dallas area) I won't have access.

<End Rant>

• 1 month later...

True that within Texas toll roads, tag read or license read will charge the same amount to a toll tag account but will take many days longer to post for license read.  I am not sure same will apply from out of Texas charges or if they will even do license reads.  Then there are places that will read NTTA toll tags but do not read license plates at all (DFW, DAL ... ).  I do feel that the total lack of any acknowledgement or concern from Lincoln and from the tolling authorities is unacceptable.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that sticking it to the moonroof glass will work, for those who live in Houston area with EZ Tag.  I just used painter's tape and placed it at multiple locations, including the dotted area left of the rear view mirror (didn't work), but moonroof area worked. I placed it at the front driver side corner.  Nothing to worry about.  If tag reader can read tags on verticle windows in semi, it should have easier time scanning off on horizontal orientation.

Just checked my account, and everything scanned on the moonroof location.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Jbidwal said:

Any solutions other than the sunroof? I might have to try that next as my bay area fastrak doesn’t work anywhere on the windshield. I need it for express lane use so getting this working is really important 

They offer an exterior-mount unit that mounts on the license platehttps://www.bayareafastrak.org/en/howitworks/howToMount.shtml#

HRG

2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

They offer an exterior-mount unit that mounts on the license platehttps://www.bayareafastrak.org/en/howitworks/howToMount.shtml#

HRG

I looked into this but I don’t think they have the flex option on this. I use express lanes with more than 2 people and I need that setting so I don’t get charged. I’m surprised other cars don’t have this issue too. 

• 1 month later...

Hi!  I’m new here ?

2018 Navi Reserve purchased in Feb 2018. Just hit 20k miles and love the vehicle still. 

I had the same issue with my ezpass which did not work were the manual indicated it should be mounted. 

So I mounted mine on the sunroof glass...and it works perfectly. 

Just an option to consider and it’s safely inside vs an external plate mount. 

-Matt