16 Battery Electrics coming by 2022

The new C and CD platforms will be hybrid capable for sure. Whether the BEV platform is the same or a bespoke variant is still up in the air. If its really 16 that would almost guarantee that both C and CD are BEV capable. That might also explain the future of Fusion - moving to a CD6 or C3 hybrid/BEV platform.

Edited by akirby

The new C and CD platforms will be hybrid capable for sure. Whether the BEV platform is the same or a bespoke variant is still up in the air. If its really 16 that would almost guarantee that both C and CD are BEV capable. That might also explain the future of Fusion - moving to a CD6 or C3 hybrid/BEV platform.

And if CD6 would also confirm MKZ (though I think that one is CD6 regardless).

I don't see the point of having a chassis be gas, hybrid, and BEV capable - it's too much of a compromise for the battery capacity. If Ford plan to compete on the BEV stage, the vehicles will need significant range (>200 miles? 300?). That type of range calls for a bespoke chassis designed to carry the battery capacity necessary to get to those ranges. As noted above, making "all future Ford platforms dual function, designed to accommodate batteries and/or a conventional ICE powertrain" is great in that it means that each model variant can have an ICE/hybrid/PIH variant, but it doesn't pass muster for a competitive BEV.

I don't see the point of having a chassis be gas, hybrid, and BEV capable - it's too much of a compromise for the battery capacity. If Ford plan to compete on the BEV stage, the vehicles will need significant range (>200 miles? 300?). That type of range calls for a bespoke chassis designed to carry the battery capacity necessary to get to those ranges. As noted above, making "all future Ford platforms dual function, designed to accommodate batteries and/or a conventional ICE powertrain" is great in that it means that each model variant can have an ICE/hybrid/PIH variant, but it doesn't pass muster for a competitive BEV.

But if they don't make it flexible to accomodate all, it will be too expensive to make it as a BEV. There has to be a huge sharing of components and chassis to make it work financially.

But if they don't make it flexible to accomodate all, it will be too expensive to make it as a BEV. There has to be a huge sharing of components and chassis to make it work financially.

The point is that a BEV with 'competitive' range (>200/300 miles) cannot accommodate all; there is not a single BEV on the planet with this type of range that also can be made as an ICE/hybrid/PIH model too. The batteries require too much space for that range. That's why model E/Mach 1 is something different from CD6. The question is how different, which gets back to my original question.

I don't think anybody can answer that right now. Ford has clearly upped their EV program from what it was only a few years ago. What Raj Nair said in 2016 may not hold today. Guess we'll find out what platform they'll use in 2020.

That's why I hope some enterprising auto journalist might make an actual effort to find something out about the program, versus being spoonfed pablum from the PR group. A vain wish, granted.

Just a guess on my part, the 2020 BEV will be based on a “dual function” platform (battery and ICE). Engineering is well underway on this vehicle and I can’t see Ford abandoning this platform (whatever it may be) for a new, BEV-specific platform. The 2022 vehicles could be based on a new, BEV-specific platform. Again, just a guess.

The worst part of electrics is going to be friends/family sponging. I can see it now.

Buddy's show up to play cards and one them want to plug in since they

"forgot" to charge up at home. I mean, it's only a couple bucks, right.........

Edited by OX1

The worst part of electrics is going to be friends/family sponging. I can see it now.

Buddy's show up to play cards and one them want to plug in since they

"forgot" to charge up at home. I mean, it's only a couple bucks, right.........

Just wait until people start sneaking charges from their neighbors during the night...

And this:

Ford said by 2022 it will launch 16 battery-electric vehicles and 24 hybrids or plug-in hybrids globally. North America will get 7 of the 16 battery-electrics. Europe will get three, and Asia Pacific will get 13. Some EVs will launch in more than one region. The investment includes the costs of developing dedicated electric vehicle architectures.

Full article: http://europe.autonews.com/article/20180117/ANE/180119733/ford-will-launch-3-evs-in-europe-scale-back-on-passenger-cars?cciid=email-ane-daily

Edited by Harley Lover

Just wait until people start sneaking charges from their neighbors during the night...

You mean the same ones that siphon gas from their neighbors' cars? It's a bit more obvious to sneak a charge since you would have a cord, and a mighty hefty one since it would have to go a distance, than it is to take 5 minutes and siphon a tank of gas.

Um isn't that going to be hard to do? I was under the impression that Plug in cars need a special adapter and a 220/440 line to recharge from? Most of that stuff would be in a garage area anyways...locked up.

Um isn't that going to be hard to do? I was under the impression that Plug in cars need a special adapter and a 220/440 line to recharge from? Most of that stuff would be in a garage area anyways...locked up.

You can plug into 110 volt with some. Just takes forever.

Hackett is a firm believer in this guy, Tony Seba. He is predicting the death of internal combustion engines by 2030. Very different then the Bloomberg prediction of 35% of sale to electric by 2040.

ev-sales.jpg

I need to find the rest of that Bloomberg report and see how they came to the conclusion that BEV will have equal cost (assuming same size and load capacity) by 2022 !

EDIT : I found it ! Here’s How Electric Cars Will Cause the Next Oil Crisis

In both the Bloomberg report and Tony Seba's prognostication is based on a 60% growth rate of BEV, year after year, starting in 2016 ! Bloomberg admits that is very optimistic. A conversation estimate is 30% growth rate.

ev-predicting-crash.jpg

Edited by theoldwizard

All of this is about Ford and its partners delivering compliance BEVs to the Chinese market,

the rest of the world, Nth America and Europe will at best get three or four EVs out of this

because there simply isn't the demand to drive this without Governments making ICEs illegal.

Its utterly hilarious that currently Fords one assembly plant that builds its only full electric car at the moment has only one charging station in the parking lot, and its in a handicap parking spot

Both hilarious and ironic.

The whole thing was mailed in with Ford providing a glider Focus hatch while Magna did all the heavy lifting, about as lazy as it gets.

I have a feeling that Ford's $11 Billion investment will also be lazy and rely on Chinese partners to again do the heavy lifting

and get paid for it in front......Mr. Hacket is as predictable as IKEA Flat Pack furniture....

Edited by jpd80

So who is actually buying these vehicles again? Nothing more than a niche market. Our electric grid cannot handle widespread electrics. Where does the the power plant gets it energy from anyway? What a joke this whole electric car is, we have been hearing the same thing for over 20 years about how electrics will take over...

So who is actually buying these vehicles again? Nothing more than a niche market. Our electric grid cannot handle widespread electrics. Where does the the power plant gets it energy from anyway? What a joke this whole electric car is, we have been hearing the same thing for over 20 years about how electrics will take over...

Do keep in mind that "realistic" Electric cars have only become "affordable" in the past 5 years.

Prices will keep dropping as time goes on and more people will be able to afford them.

The first company to sell an Electric auto that is on the low end of 30K without tax incentives and goes 250 miles will be a winner- if that said company can make $$$ on it.

I'm starting to think the Performance CUV EV Ford is working on is being marketed that way so they can charge more for it.

Do keep in mind that "realistic" Electric cars have only become "affordable" in the past 5 years.

Prices will keep dropping as time goes on and more people will be able to afford them.

The first company to sell an Electric auto that is on the low end of 30K without tax incentives and goes 250 miles will be a winner- if that said company can make $$$ on it.

I'm starting to think the Performance CUV EV Ford is working on is being marketed that way so they can charge more for it.

Except for the fact that during recent east coast cold snap folks were told to cut down on electricity usage? What would adding a bunch of electrics do to it. We do not have the infrastructure to support it.

Except for the fact that during recent east coast cold snap folks were told to cut down on electricity usage? What would adding a bunch of electrics do to it. We do not have the infrastructure to support it.

Citation?

I live in NJ and never got anything from JCPL about my electric usage. The vast majority of people that normally experience cold weather use fuels as a primary or secondary source (Natural Gas, Propane, Oil, Pellet) to keep their houses warm.

Just a quick google search is showing areas that normally don't get serve cold weather (Texas) talking about additional electrical usage.

The cold snap we had in my area was the third longest in recorded weather keeping (14 days straight)...this happens every 10-20 years.

Citation?

I live in NJ and never got anything from JCPL about my electric usage. The vast majority of people that normally experience cold weather use fuels as a primary or secondary source (Natural Gas, Propane, Oil, Pellet) to keep their houses warm.

Just a quick google search is showing areas that normally don't get serve cold weather (Texas) talking about additional electrical usage.

The cold snap we had in my area was the third longest in recorded weather keeping (14 days straight)...this happens every 10-20 years.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/south-carolina/articles/2018-01-02/s-carolina-utility-urges-energy-conservation-in-cold-snap

While many/most (depending one area) people use either wood, oil, or propane to heat their homes there is widespread electric heat still which is high enough in numbers to put a strain on our electric grid in the north east during prolonged cold spells.