Offical 2019 Ranger thread

Even the mustang almost feels like a mom car IMO.... especially the vert. Nothing from ford has any balls, except for the raptor. F150 is tough, but boring. Escape, Explorer.... nice but painfully unexciting.

Hopefully ford wakes up gives us something worth reving our motors.

Um ok? No other mainstream manufacturer offers anywhere near the array of performance models that Ford does.

• Like 1

So by sporty do mean hanging gaudy plastic bits like the civic or wrx or even worse the Corolla sport. If you want sporty I think it needs to purpose designed like the vette, comaro or mustang. Can you certainly get AMG, M series or Audi RS modules, but they dont come cheap.i think the focus RS and fiesta ST are sporty little cars. I think the fusion and Taurus models were too comprised for the enthusiast, but thats why we have mustang gt 350. Finally the Miata and the Alfa verts are fine little sports cars but sales in the us are not that robust. People want utes, and that what they are getting.

Sporty is a relative marketing term, today's basic performance has increased so much that the term is losing meaning

unless you point to extreme versions with overwhelming power and chassis dynamics coupled with competition suspension,

handling and brakes.,

• Like 2

Sporty is a relative marketing term, today's basic performance has increased so much that the term is losing meaning

unless you point to extreme versions with overwhelming power and chassis dynamics coupled with competition suspension,

handling and brakes.,

While i find your posts most informative, articulate, well versed and accurate this is not one of those times....ford is playing it safe..too safe...they need to put some of there artsy nerds in a basement and let them build with no rules..i almost sense in todays ford shinoda would have been regulated to design of ltd's only

• Like 1

I don't consider FX4s or a Contour SHO to be particularly cool and sporty. Fords concept of "Sporty" is often pretty lame.

Please remember to make sure brain is in gear before posting...

The FX4 isn't supposed to be "sporty," and the Contour SHO never existed (at least not from Ford).

• Like 2

While i find your posts most informative, articulate, well versed and accurate this is not one of those times....ford is playing it safe..too safe...they need to put some of there artsy nerds in a basement and let them build with no rules..i almost sense in todays ford shinoda would have been regulated to design of ltd's only

Don't mistake my explanation for what currently is as acceptance that it is right..

We can't even get those high profile existing models, let alone the top shelf stuff you want...

Ford always plays it safe but also telling us the buyers what we will and won't like by

going only so far with performance and then claiming that any more is out of reach

or not wanted by the the majority of their buyer group.

This article illustrates those points perfectly and in spite of this purveying ineptitude, FoA also managed to sell

more than double the amount of Mustangs they originally planned. After that "surprise" you would think that

Ford's management would back itself and try another already developed product - these are premium customers.

FoA complained that adding a TTV6 Mondeo would increase complexity but last month they

sold a tiny 196 vanilla Mondeos..............and they tell me that is a better business case,...go figure.

Ford Aus passes on XR6 Turbo replacement

Ford Australia has blamed Australian buyers for its decision not to import the spiritual replacement for the Falcon XR6 Turbo, a 2.7-litre twin-turbo V6 sedan called the Fusion.

Speaking at a media event this week in Melbourne, Ford Australia president and CEO Graeme Whickman confessed that the Michigan, US-made version of our European-built Mondeo was not considered due to projected low demand.

The forced six-cylinder produces 242kW of power and 475Nm of torque, which closes in on the discontinued 270kW/533Nm 4.0-litre turbo Falcon and could eclipse it for outright performance thanks to its all-wheel drive traction.

Asked whether Falcon fans could have an interest in driving the twin-turbo Fusion, Whickman replied: “They [Falcon fans] may have an interest, but at the same time we’re looking at our line-up and making sure the complexity isn’t too much.

He further called the twin-turbo V6 performance version “a tough business proposition.”

“You have to make sure you have the demand to support the business proposition, and the demand is quite small,” he added, before comparing demand for a performance four-door sedan to that of Ford’s iconic two-door coupe.

“As opposed to the Ford Mustang where we will be number one or two in the world for right-hand drive in the world.

I understand [Mondeo] is not a V6, it’s an I4 [inline four-cylinder], and maybe that’s something that they’re searching there.

Ford V6 Ecoboost engine“If they want [a performance version] maybe they go to Mustang, but it’s a little bit of a challenge for us and our range because we’ve been loading it up over the past 12 months, vehicle after vehicle, and at some point you have to be careful about how many derivatives.”

When it was indicated that V8-engined Commodores now represent over one-third of the Holden’s volume, and that might suggest there is interest from buyers for a fast four-door, Whickman explained that the large car segment now represents around 3.0 per cent of the market. The four-cylinder medium class Mondeo is in represents 7.0 per cent.

“One-third potentially of that [large car] segment, at most, so 1.0 per cent … think about the viability,” he said.

But the boss of the company refused to say that the Fusion was not available to Ford Australia if they wanted it. Even a name-change from Mondeo to Fusion “does represent an opportunity if we felt it was important.”

“When we thought about this we didn’t think the Mondeo versus the Fusion was going to be a polarising positive or negative,” he added.

Only the US-built Fusion is available with all-wheel drive and the twin-turbo V6. Our European-sourced Mondeo continues to be a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo petrol or diesel proposition, as is available in Australia.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I don't consider FX4s or a Contour SHO to be particularly cool and sporty. Fords concept of "Sporty" is often pretty lame.

Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Focus RS, Mustang GT/GT350, Fusion Sport, Taurus SHO, Edge Sport (now ST), Explorer Sport, Raptor, The GTnot including the Ranger Raptor and eventual Bronco Raptor.

Tell me, which other brand has that kind of performance-oriented lineup available?

Ill make it easy for you....there is NONE.

digging the truck...but once again...their marketing is questionable and conservative to a fault....look at the colors avail...the LATEST hot ticket right now are shades of non metallic, which appeals immensely to the younger crowd...come on Ford, some of these decision makers need to retire...wheres the Lead Foot FX2/ 4 ?????so many wasted opportunities IMO...Fords in desperate need of some pizzazz.....the 19 Edge also just looks like a larger ho hum Escape....clean, but nothing noteworthy...

Based on what Ford has told us so far about the Ranger, it sure seems odd that the off-road versions (FX2/4) will only be available with the same engine as the rest of the lineup. I suppose there could be varying outputs for the 2.3 EB but so far we haven't heard anything about that. Not sure I would be interested even if there was a higher output 2.3 EB for those trim levels. Now you would probably be looking at higher octane fuel requirements and I still expect a 4-door 4x4 Ranger to get lousy mileage with an engine that will be on the boost and more highly stressed most of its life. Why not just put a larger engine it in to big with? What the hell did you save other than a bunch of F-150 sales?

Now you would probably be looking at higher octane fuel requirements and I still expect a 4-door 4x4 Ranger to get lousy mileage with an engine that will be on the boost and more highly stressed most of its life.

In all seriousness that just isn't the case.

Lets look at the F-150 numbers

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=39254&id=39251

The Raptor is rated at 15/18/16 and a 4WD F-150 is at 16/21/18. The Raptor has 75HP/50ftlbs more power then the standard 3.5L

The Ecoboost engine in the Ranger, which is more power then your V8 in your Sport Trac, will have no problems with longevity in its applications in the Ranger.

• Like 1

In all seriousness that just isn't the case.

Lets look at the F-150 numbers

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=39254&id=39251

The Raptor is rated at 15/18/16 and a 4WD F-150 is at 16/21/18. The Raptor has 75HP/50ftlbs more power then the standard 3.5L

The Ecoboost engine in the Ranger, which is more power then your V8 in your Sport Trac, will have no problems with longevity in its applications in the Ranger.

Raptor is also heaver than a standard F-150 4x4

The Raptor is also done with premium fuel, assume 400HP and 480ft/lbs is what the regular 3.5L Eco does with Premium fuel (got those numbers from the Expedition Platinum which uses 93 octane fuel numbers, where regular Expeditions are shown with 87)

Raptor also has a 4.10 rear end, that isn't going to help highway mileage even with a 10 speed.

Edited by jasonj80

2010 Ranger 4.0L - 207 hp, 238 lb/ft

2019 Ranger 2.3LEB - 350 hp, 350 lb/ft (in the Focus RS)

While I understand the 2019 Ranger is heavier, you really can’t complain about the 2.3LEB power even for a FX4.

The better question is why didn’t they put a cheaper, smaller engine on the lower models.

• Like 3

2010 Ranger 4.0L - 207 hp, 238 lb/ft

2019 Ranger 2.3LEB - 350 hp, 350 lb/ft (in the Focus RS)

While I understand the 2019 Ranger is heavier, you really cant complain about the 2.3LEB power even for a FX4.

The better question is why didnt they put a cheaper, smaller engine on the lower models.

The 2018 Mustang Ecoboost has 310 hp and 350 lb/ft. The recommended octane rating is 87. I expect the Ranger to be closer to these numbers.

And Im also surprised that they didnt offer a less powerful engine in the lower models.

• Like 1

The 2018 Mustang Ecoboost has 310 hp and 350 lb/ft. The recommended octane rating is 87. I expect the Ranger to be closer to these numbers.

And Im also surprised that they didnt offer a less powerful engine in the lower models.

I know but they used the Focus RS block so some are thinking it may be tuned more than the mustang version otherwise why not use the mustang block?

Either way 350 lb/ft is pretty impressive in a smaller truck. That's probably the same power to weight ratio as the 2.7L in the F150. More than enough for anything short of a baja run.

I know but they used the Focus RS block so some are thinking it may be tuned more than the mustang version otherwise why not use the mustang block?

Either way 350 lb/ft is pretty impressive in a smaller truck. That's probably the same power to weight ratio as the 2.7L in the F150. More than enough for anything short of a baja run.

My '05 F150 had 300/365. It towed our 5k lb travel trailer with relative ease, and it wasn't turbo charged for that ultra low-end torque. I think 350/350 will do just fine in a Ranger weighing considerably less than my crew cab F150.

I'm pretty sure the Focus RS require 93 octane gas. That's why I expect lower numbers in the Ranger. I agree, though, that it should be plenty of power for the Ranger.