Offical 2019 Ranger thread

The only thing I’m meh about is the greenhouse profile. Can’t put my finger on it but it just doesn’t look right to me. The rest is fine.

What is the bed length on the supercab? 6’?

In the past, the cab has almost looked a bit short compared to the hood/bed.

---

Anybody notice the pictures had two separate CHMSLs? I'm guessing the one on the orange truck is the final one.

outdoor-ranger-23-1.jpg

021-ranger-351-aa-1f-1.jpg

---

I still think the "RANGER" stamped in the tailgate is a bit large - I think a smaller one in the bottom right or left hand corner of the tailgate would've looked better, but having it stamped looks better than the ROW sticker look.

I still think the "RANGER" stamped in the tailgate is a bit large - I think a smaller one in the bottom right or left hand corner of the tailgate would've looked better, but having it stamped looks better than the ROW sticker look.

Like this:

outdoor-ranger-23-1.jpg

bvYIc60.jpg

Edited by rmc523

I have a feeling they use a light color headliner to make the interior feel larger. While using a beige one is dumb with black, I thought it looked slightly more gray which isnt that bad.

I noticed the same on the Expedition with black interior. Only thing is some have tan and some have black. Not sure if its a difference between regular and Max or trim levels.

Ford's press conference at 4:00pm this afternoon.

Even though we still have a year before we actually have the Ranger... there's a lot of "pent up" demand for the Ranger. We have Ranger's in our service department almost every day and all any of the owners can talk about is how Ford never should have discontinued it in the first place. The other source for new buyers are those that own Explorer Sport Trac's.

I expect that the USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) will practically explode with Dealer orders when the USOB opens. Even with the 2.3L EcoBoost being the sole powertrain, it's very possible that Ford wants to get experience for the 3.0L Power Stroke Diesel in the 2018 F-150's before deciding on offering it in the Ranger. I'd expect the following order mix for orders... 5-10% XL, 35-40% XLT & 40-50% Lariat. Although some here may be disappointed at some of what Ford's revealing so far, we're talking about a Ford truck here and nobody does trucks better than Ford. It won't take Ford long before the Ranger once again becomes the benchmark standard for this market segment!

• Like 4

I could be wrong but it feels like there is more to come. If/when they add Raptor a higher output engine will also come. Currently they stop the trims at Lariat. Seems like there is room for a platinum version with a 2.7 liter ecoboost. I guess well see.

I would have thought there would be a 2.7 available for the Lariat. Someone wanting to add all of those options is probably going to want a bigger engine also. That's the biggest disappointment for me. It seems like with the amount of time this has been on the drawing board and still another year to the showroom, this stuff would have been sorted and not wait for an update to get what should have been from the beginning.

In the past, the cab has almost looked a bit short compared to the hood/bed.

---

Anybody notice the pictures had two separate CHMSLs? I'm guessing the one on the orange truck is the final one.

outdoor-ranger-23-1.jpg

021-ranger-351-aa-1f-1.jpg

---

I dont disagree. They have added that characteristic to the other F Series as well so apparently they felt it was necessary to include/keep it on the Ranger too. It looks like it was a challenge to deal with the proportions in that space on the tailgate.

Interesting that there is no antenna-a first for Ford on a truck!! Why they have not discontinued the antenna on the F150 is comical.

The 2 trucks shown were hand built for the auto show and could just be minus the antenna for looks.

Edited by MKX1960

Like this:

outdoor-ranger-23-1.jpg

bvYIc60.jpg

The larger one looks better to me on a sport edition. Gives it a bolder look.

The 2.3 going in will be assembled at Cleveland Engine Plant. It wont be a direct lift from the current line of 2.3 ecoboost engines. Definitely a new, upgraded engine.But, from the same family of the current 2.3s. Lots of work and upgrades being done to the assembly line. With more to be done this summer. I would assume, Ford wouldnt do all that work and spend all that money to produce an engine that make the same numbers as its current line up.

Edited by mnm

The only thing I’m meh about is the greenhouse profile. Can’t put my finger on it but it just doesn’t look right to me. The rest is fine.

Yeah, I think it looks a little bit squished.

I do like that it's not as swoopy-doopy as the ROW Ranger, using more sharp creases like the F150. F'rinstance, the nameplate cut out in the NA tailgate looks like it's a step-down panel rather than the scoop-out on the ROW models.

I'm not sold on that nose, but it could've been much worse. At least it looks closer to American than the ROW Ranger does.

Dare I ask why this wasn't built with the aluminum body? Too costly to manufacture? Not worth the investment in factory tooling for the expected volumes? With aluminum being the most abundant metal on earth I have to believe they can bring more long term efficiency to the aluminum builds the more volume it's built in.

Up here in the rusty upper Midwest the no-rust aluminum body is a winner with me and many others.

Dare I ask why this wasn't built with the aluminum body? Too costly to manufacture? Not worth the investment in factory tooling for the expected volumes? With aluminum being the most abundant metal on earth I have to believe they can bring more long term efficiency to the aluminum builds the more volume it's built in.

Up here in the rusty upper Midwest the no-rust aluminum body is a winner with me and many others.

My guess is that it's a combination of rushed development and ROI. From the outside, it certainly looks rushed, with the limited trims and configs, single powerplant, and so forth. I think if it had been a more traditional development process, the popcan body would've made the cut, but to get the Ranger out the door in time, they had to spend the money elsewhere.

• Like 1

I just can't get over the fact that despite waiting years for the reveal, waiting another year for production, and tolerating only a mild "Americanization" of the sheet metal, it'll only be available with one powertrain. This despite the fact that additional powertrains are already being sold elsewhere around the world AND some of those same powertrains are EPA certified in other current (or were in the last couple years) Ford US products.

It's just kind of disappointing really. I guess this is what happens when you spend all the capital dollars on pie in the sky electric / autonomous schemes.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv
  • Like 1

My guess is that it's a combination of rushed development and ROI. From the outside, it certainly looks rushed, with the limited trims and configs, single powerplant, and so forth. I think if it had been a more traditional development process, the popcan body would've made the cut, but to get the Ranger out the door in time, they had to spend the money elsewhere.

I think it has more to do with the fact that they build the exact same body in manufacturing plants in three other countries. The cost to update those plants was probably prohibitive. There is also the possibility that a next generation Ranger is only a couple more years away. Why retool those three plants now only to have to do it all over again in two or three years? I assume retooling MAP one more time in a couple of years is cheaper than retooling three other plants twice in the same time frame.

I just can't get over the fact that despite waiting years for the reveal, waiting another year for production, and tolerating only a mild "Americanization" of the sheet metal, it'll only be available with one powertrain. This despite the fact that additional powertrains are already being sold elsewhere around the world AND some of those same powertrains are EPA certified in other current (or where in the last couple years) Ford US products.

It's just kind of disappointing really. I guess this is what happens when you spend all the capital dollars on pie in the sky electric / autonomous schemes.

To quote a poster on another forum: "As a Ford guy, this looks to me like Ford is trying to enter a segment as cheaply and minimally as possible."

The 2.3 going in will be assembled at Cleveland Engine Plant. It wont be a direct lift from the current line of 2.3 ecoboost engines. Definitely a new, upgraded engine.But, from the same family of the current 2.3s. Lots of work and upgrades being done to the assembly line. With more to be done this summer. I would assume, Ford wouldnt do all that work and spend all that money to produce an engine that make the same numbers as its current line up.

Any word on whether or not it will still be an "open deck" block?

I think it has more to do with the fact that they build the exact same body in manufacturing plants in three other countries.

But will they? A bunch of the NA body panels are already different (look at the wheel wells--they have sharp creases and flat arches, ala F150, where the ROW Rangers have curves). If they thought Ranger sales could outstrip NA production capacity, I can see them wanting to be able to use the overseas plants to pull the slack, but would making the fenders, door skins, and bed side panels out of aluminum really cause any more trouble than the hood and tailgate? (Maybe it would; I don't know.)

• Like 1