Ford December 2017 Sales results

The new Camry, yes, but the new Accord is not an ugly car.

Debatable - I don't like the grille, and it has some odd angles on it.

Given what has been coming out of Ford as of late makes me really wonder if anything truly changed-people where just biding their time till he left to revert back to the "Old" Ford

Could be.

I find the new Accord to be attractive. The new Camry - not so much. Particularly the front grille and bumper, which Richard Jensen has accurately compared to the front of the 1958 Oldsmobile. To each his own...

The Ford Fusion is a very handsome car. As akirby notes, the problem is that Ford has not made any meaningful changes to its exterior appearance for several years.

No matter how good a design is, people expect their new car to look NEW. If Ford doesn't give them a reason to trade, they won't. The Fusion Sport - no matter how good it is - isn't going to get enough people into a new Fusion to reverse the natural sales decline that happens as a model ages.

The Ford Fusion is a very handsome car. As akirby notes, the problem is that Ford has not made any meaningful changes to its exterior appearance for several years.

To go even farther, Ford hasnt even given any of their sedans any new features either. If anything, theyve taken features away. Especially on the Focus and Taurus.

Got to keep those profits up. Sales be damned!

Sales without profit = Bankruptcy. (See: GM)

The only reason to increase sales with a lot of cash on the hood is if you are overstocked and need to move a lot of units or you want to help out the dealers. It doesn't do much for Ford's bottom line.

• Like 1

Sales without profit = Bankruptcy. (See: GM)

The only reason to increase sales with a lot of cash on the hood is if you are overstocked and need to move a lot of units or you want to help out the dealers. It doesn't do much for Ford's bottom line.

I meant that in a sarcastic way.

I'm gonna be honest, if I were in the market for a sedan right now, the Accord with the 2.0L turbo and the 6-speed manual would be too tempting to pass up. Can't get a trim above Sport, so no leather, but at least it has Android Auto/Apple CarPlay support. I realize it won't be a popular option combination, but kudos to Honda for offering something for enthusiasts!

I recently rented a well appointed Fusion Ecoboost - everyone who came near that car complimented it and the performance was outstanding. I find it extremely hard to believe that this Honda or a Camry is in any way a better car than the Fusion. Maybe a bit more room in the back seat, but "better" - I'm not buying that. I think that Honda and Toyota have the luxury of their customers not cross-shopping. They simply go to a Toyota or Honda Dealer on a Saturday and buy a car. They have no idea what else even exists.

I had the same experience. I was surprised to find a Fusion Titanium AWD available when we went to Florida in December. Only had 3k miles on it. Was a great car. Black exterior with tan interior. There were times we took that instead of my Dad's Explorer to keep miles off of it, and with 5 adults, nobody in the back seat complained about needing any more room. Would have considered buying one except the VIN started with a 3.

Stylistically, it will very much look like an Explorer. The new proportions will lend themselves to more natural body characteristics without all the forced sculpting seen on the current model.

Will they give the vehicle a bit more greenhouse, and move away from the current smaller greenhouse look of the current model? IMO the current model carries too much sheet metal mass (visually) relative to the greenhouse.

No guarantees they would buy and or finance with Ford if it wasn't offered though. I can tell you 0% interest for 6 years helped facilitate a few sales in my family (myself included). I don't like paying interest.

But the 0% always displaces other existing cash incentives and it's usually cheaper to take the cash and get your own 2% loan.

But the 0% always displaces other existing cash incentives and it's usually cheaper to take the cash and get your own 2% loan.

Not always. I still ended up getting 1000 cashback on my Fusion on top of 0% for 6 years. I think if I took the total cash back (no financing) it would have have been 2500 more. Ford was offering 2.9% (may have been standard 3.9, I can't remember). I did the number crunching and if I remember correctly saved around 2k buy taking the 0% and 1000 cashback. The best I could find a bank loan was for 3.15%, and that is with my 715 FICO score (which isn't deadbeat territory).

I got to use it in a Fusion Hybrid rental at Thanksgiving. It was pretty intuitive. An unnecessary change, perhaps, but I guess it allowed them to say they changed something...

I had two Fusion Hybrid rentals in 2017. The rotary shifter was nothing more then a space and I'm sure production cost savings change. Its not bad, but i'd prefer a regular "stick" gear selector. All it does is make the car feel more like an appliance.

Not always. I still ended up getting 1000 cashback on my Fusion on top of 0% for 6 years. I think if I took the total cash back (no financing) it would have have been 2500 more. Ford was offering 2.9% (may have been standard 3.9, I can't remember). I did the number crunching and if I remember correctly saved around 2k buy taking the 0% and 1000 cashback. The best I could find a bank loan was for 3.15%, and that is with my 715 FICO score (which isn't deadbeat territory).

On a $30K 72 month loan the interest is $2433. If you can finance for 48 or 60 months and get a lower rate you'd pay even less, so it depends on how much cash you can get in lieu of the 0%. I know looking at a new F150 it's cheaper for me to finance it but I don't remember all the details on that exact offer.

The main point was that 0% financing is just another form of cash incentive and if you don't use it you can usually get additional cash back, then run the numbers both ways to see which is best.

Well, not always....the CMAX has 0% plus over $2k in incentives (so does the Focus Elec, but that's kinda niche).

Well that's strange. It's $2250 cash with or without the 0% for 60 months. $4500 on a lease. Don't think I've seen that before.

On F150 you can get 2.9% for 60 months with $1500 cash or $3500 cash. That's what you normally see. And since I can get a lower rate than that from my credit union it's a no brainer. Even if it was 0% I'm only financing around $20K so it would still be cheaper to take the $3500.

I had two Fusion Hybrid rentals in 2017. The rotary shifter was nothing more then a space and I'm sure production cost savings change. Its not bad, but i'd prefer a regular "stick" gear selector. All it does is make the car feel more like an appliance.

I love the push buttons on the MKX. It really frees up the center console area.

Fusion has the rotary dial, though, not push buttons.

I know but it still removes the bulky shifter from the console area. Not having either one in the MKX allows the bottom of the center stack to come forward and have a full width covered storage compartment. It also seems the center console is higher than normal which is more comfortable.