how to increase HP on an ecoboost vehicle

jgira12

Be aware of the RS 2.3 issues.

Im not aware of any issues from tuning anyother ecoboost as long as you dont go crazy with the tune. The 2.3 issue isnt just from tuning. Its a subpar head gasket even in stock form. I havent seen many 2.7 with a tune but the 3.5 accepts a mild tune pretty well.

• Like 1

Im not aware of any issues from tuning anyother ecoboost as long as you dont go crazy with the tune. The 2.3 issue isnt just from tuning. Its a subpar head gasket even in stock form. I havent seen many 2.7 with a tune but the 3.5 accepts a mild tune pretty well.

I’ve heard that there is a revised head gasket for the RS 2.3.

There are a lot of Mustang 2.3’s that are tuned. It seems that tuned 2.3’s are sensitive to the quality of the fuel.

There is some discussion about the apparent fact that the Focus RS engine block is an "open deck" design.

Internet experts are saying the cylinders are walking, which may or may not be true, thereby causing the head gasket to fail between the cylinders.

I wonder what the facts really are. Seems like this situation would have been bourne out in testing.

The stuff I saw compares the Ecoboost open deck engine to the various Subaru open, semi-open and closed deck designs.

also, what about lowering the stance? Do I have to go to coilovers, or some other method? Finally, wheels and tires....I would order the highest diameter, however, maybe just order el cheapos and add aftermarket kits later....and brakes, anyone switching out pads?

also, what about lowering the stance? Do I have to go to coilovers, or some other method? Finally, wheels and tires....I would order the highest diameter, however, maybe just order el cheapos and add aftermarket kits later....and brakes, anyone switching out pads?

Go to http://www.mustang6g.com. Its a great site for this kind of advice. There is a section specifically for Ecoboost Mustangs.

Edited by CurtisH

• 1 year later...

Ecoboom, stick with the v8s, my boss's new ecoboost F-150 blew cylinder 3 so bad going up a hill that the whole engine is junked, pieces came out of the oil pan.  Not saying the ecoboosts are all bad, but they have a purpose, efficiency and economy, you can pull a lot of power out of them yes, but you are riding the tolerances very hard, with a larger displacement such as a v8, you are spreading the power and stress over more cylinders, more rods, a larger crank, thus you have much more room on the table to work with before shit goes off the rails.  And generally, if something goes boom, it goes boom much bigger and worse, when you have a bunch of boost feeding into it.

On 7/1/2019 at 1:18 PM, MasterX said:

Ecoboom, stick with the v8s, my boss's new ecoboost F-150 blew cylinder 3 so bad going up a hill that the whole engine is junked, pieces came out of the oil pan.  Not saying the ecoboosts are all bad, but they have a purpose, efficiency and economy, you can pull a lot of power out of them yes, but you are riding the tolerances very hard, with a larger displacement such as a v8, you are spreading the power and stress over more cylinders, more rods, a larger crank, thus you have much more room on the table to work with before shit goes off the rails.  And generally, if something goes boom, it goes boom much bigger and worse, when you have a bunch of boost feeding into it.

On 7/1/2019 at 1:18 PM, MasterX said:

Our shop has far fewer internal engine issues with the 3.5 of all generations than the 5.0. Lots of knocking, ticking, valve dropping, oil useage issues, out of round holes, and recessed valves with the 5.0. 

Boost used to be hard on stuff in the old days, but it just isn't as detrimental to long life now.  

13 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

Our shop has far fewer internal engine issues with the 3.5 of all generations than the 5.0. Lots of knocking, ticking, valve dropping, oil useage issues, out of round holes, and recessed valves with the 5.0. 

Boost used to be hard on stuff in the old days, but it just isn't as detrimental to long life now.  

Shh, you’re letting facts get in the way of a good story 

• Haha 1