2019 Ford Ranger Speculation thread

So how do you guys feel about the new front end on the Ranger, better?

A fully boxed ladder frame with six crossmembers constitutes the backbone of the Ranger. Ford tells us that although the new truck’s frame appears to be a near doppelgänger of the frame of the overseas Ranger, a side-by-side inspection reveals that it has been configured specifically for stateside duty. Significantly for the domestic market, the frame has been modified to provide a sturdy mounting location for the front and rear steel bumpers. An integrated trailer-hitch receiver is available as an option.

Sitting atop the frame is a mostly steel body with an aluminum hood and tailgate. Comprehensively tweaked for tighter and more consistent panel gaps than in the global version, it sports a refreshed fascia and lighting elements. Short overhangs front and rear were specified to ensure good approach and departure angles. Monotube dampers reside at all four corners, with a control-arm front suspension and a live-axle setup at the rear.

Lots of nice upgrades over the current Global truck, more details on the actual engine...

Ford is keeping things simple in the powertrain department, offering a 2.3-liter EcoBoost inline-four mated to a 10-speed automatic as the sole powertrain. Featuring a forged crankshaft and connecting rods and a double-roller timing chain, the aluminum 2.3-liter has been beefed up for truck duty. While Ford hasn’t yet revealed any output figures, it’s no secret that the Ranger’s 2.3-liter is closely related to the 280-hp 2.3-liter in the current Explorer and a shirttail relative to the 310-hp version that lives under the hood of the Mustang. Based on that, we figure it will land at somewhere around 300 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque in the Ranger.

Yep, I was right months ago with I-4 Turbo, the 2.3 EB + 10 AT= perfect in this class.

It will spank the V6s in this class...

Edited by jpd80

On the bright side the 2.3 EB in other vehicles has proven to be tunable, as long as it has the correct head gasket, eh?

LOL, As in not built by Ford Europe......engines come from the same line as Mustang and other Nth American 2.3 EB vehicles.

Edited by jpd80

Disappointed in looks, disappointed in powertrain, now worried about Bronco. Is there just one grill, or does it vary by package?

I came > < close to buying a Colorado when I got my Edge (my Escape had died, and an Edge rental won me over). Given the choice between a Colorado and this Ranger I'd go with the Colorado.

Did marty mcfly drive a ranger/courier..no he did not he drove a taco...seriously thing thing is believed to be able to put a dent in taco sales???...i do not think so..

Ranger looks a lot like Tacoma, maybe that's why some don't like the style......

Tacoma is 90% V6 sales, big question is whether 2.3 EB and 10AT gets Ranger near that...

Edited by jpd80

I don't know. Looks OK. Don't care for the orange with gray trim. Not sure about only one engine option, but I have a feeling there will be more after launch.

I think the only thing holding it up will be the infotainment screen is built into the dash. It looks like the dash was actually designed around it, not added like an afterthought.

Looks are fine. I'm underwhelmed about the powertrain at this point. Nothing wrong with the 2.3eb and 10 spd, but not sure how they're going to cover all the bases with that one. A stripped reg cab work truck (which we know Ford will offer due to their dominance of the fleet truck market) would be a lot cheaper with the 2.5L n/a gasser and mt-82 already sold in the same truck elsewhere in the world. Meanwhile in the high trim crew cab the 2.3eb isn't really that special, let alone for a raptor. I'd think Ford would want to have an optional engine to set the high end retail trucks apart from the fleet models.

Hopefully more powertrains to be added in the future.

• Like 1

I like it. It changed enough from the ROW model to suit US needs. The only thing I dont care for is the side vent. It looks like it does carry the grill bezel that was revealed a while back. I didnt have a big issue with sharing a lot with the ROW model, just that it took what I felt was unnecessarily long to bring to market. Offering one engine option is surprising, but I cant imagine that will remain the case for long.

For those of you who dont think it will compete well in the market, I think you are wrong. The Ranger name carried a lot of weight back in the day, not to mention Fords position in trucks. Im glad it isnt a shrunken F150, and carries its own style, which will allow it to compete against SUVs/CUVs, as well as trucks.

• Like 1