2019 Chevy Silverado

Anthony

I heard an interesting comment from a knowledgeable party: That body is steel, no question. This individual said there's no way you could do that body in aluminum, too many sharp creases would cause aluminum to tear in the stamping dies. If true, that makes me wonder if Ford will have to stick to more conservative styling because of their choice of aluminum.

As for the front end styling, I think it's a bit busy. But, were are looking at what is probably the most aggressively styled version of the new Silverado. I would like to see what the 'regular' models look like.

What do you guys rate the probability of an actual Raptor competitor from GM with this new generation truck?

Ram could have done one since they had the parts in the Mopar catalog to create the Ram Runner but chose not to do a production version.

Frankly, they are missing out on good profits and the Raptor is missing out on the competition.

Ram will have one with the next gen.

Detroit Auto show will be interesting as both Chevy and RAM will be showing the Next Gen Trucks.

Im looking forward to seeing what the competition is going to bring.

Ram will have one with the next gen.

The Ram Runner was a competent truck. It beat the Raptor in an off road test, however it was a purpose built off-road truck versus the Raptor, which has to find a balance of off road prowess versus on road driving characteristics.

Im afraid the Ram is going to lose its tough look with this redesign. Based on the spy photos Ive seen it is very soft looking. That will be a shame if that holds true.

So they get the buzz going with a bright red / no chrome truck with a factory lift kit and more off road oriented tires. I think that was smart marketing to get some hype up. Its not as conservative and brick shaped as the current abomination.

I saw a rendering of the GMC in a regular package and it was atrocious. I will reserve judgement until I see the Silverado in a normal configuration.

I like some of the things they did with the red one. I wish Ford offered a mild suspension lift / level from the factory as part of the FX4 package. Face it- how many level a F150 as soon as they buy one? I will say a lot.

So they get the buzz going with a bright red / no chrome truck with a factory lift kit and more off road oriented tires. I think that was smart marketing to get some hype up. Its not as conservative and brick shaped as the current abomination.

I saw a rendering of the GMC in a regular package and it was atrocious. I will reserve judgement until I see the Silverado in a normal configuration.

I like some of the things they did with the red one. I wish Ford offered a mild suspension lift / level from the factory as part of the FX4 package. Face it- how many level a F150 as soon as they buy one? I will say a lot.

I agree, the FX4 package should come with a 2 lift on it. It would be very easy to do with the longer struts and shocks, just as the aftermarket does. I figure they wouldnt want to use spacers up front from the factory.

I think it would be a very compelling option for people and could easily generate some added profit to each vehicle.

Edited by tbone

I agree, the FX4 package should come with a 2 lift on it. It would be very easy to do with the longer struts and shocks, just as the aftermarket does. I figure they wouldnt want to use spacers up front from the factory.

I think it would be a very compelling option for people and could easily generate some added profit to each vehicle.

I'd use something like these. I think my dealers custom shop get about $500 to do this. I've watched a few videos and quite a bit of labor involved.

https://www.amazon.com/MotoFab-Lifts-F150-2-Front-Leveling/dp/B00I50553E/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1513888769&sr=1-4&keywords=f-150+leveling+kit

I'd use something like these. I think my dealers custom shop get about $500 to do this. I've watched a few videos and quite a bit of labor involved.

https://www.amazon.com/MotoFab-Lifts-F150-2-Front-Leveling/dp/B00I50553E/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1513888769&sr=1-4&keywords=f-150+leveling+kit

Yes, those are the spacers. Im using those on my sons truck. There are longer struts that can be used instead of spacers. I think that would be more appropriate from the factory.

Has there been any confirmation of body materials? All steel, steel with some aluminum or, as rumored, carbon fiber?

At first glance I thought the back half has more of a current Ram look, especially the tailgate.

I read somewhere that some engineers were saying that there's no way it could be aluminum with the creases they put on it.

I read somewhere that some engineers were saying that there's no way it could be aluminum with the creases they put on it.

Your engineer friends need to look again. The only thing Ford couldn't get not to split in high percentages was the bottom cab corners, that is why they are made of plastic.

Look at the inner door stampings. That is probably the hardest panel to form without splitting, and there is nothing on the Chevy pictures I've seen to make me think it couldn't be aluminum. And it's not the creases that are a pain to form, it's the curves and radiuses.

Wasnt that the reason the corvette is fiberglass because they couldnt get metal to be strong enough pressed like that?

Maybe that was the excuse years ago, but with the new alloys and heat tempering, I don't see the problem with strength. Forming the aluminum only makes it brittle if it isn't properly lubricated and the metal heats up, thus causing it's properties to change.

Maybe that was the excuse years ago, but with the new alloys and heat tempering, I don't see the problem with strength. Forming the aluminum only makes it brittle if it isn't properly lubricated and the metal heats up, thus causing it's properties to change.

Yeah I was meaning the original 50s corvette. Obviously, you know a lot more about stamping than I do. Its fascinating stuff.

Your engineer friends need to look again. The only thing Ford couldn't get not to split in high percentages was the bottom cab corners, that is why they are made of plastic.

Look at the inner door stampings. That is probably the hardest panel to form without splitting, and there is nothing on the Chevy pictures I've seen to make me think it couldn't be aluminum. And it's not the creases that are a pain to form, it's the curves and radiuses.

Lol, they're nobody I know - I was basing that comment off of something I read - I think even on another form....may've been GMI.

I'm sure there were a lot of lessons learned behind the scenes with forming Aluminum, that is all in front of GM

but isn't it always the way that the simplest things tend to trip up major manufacturers...

I remember the rumors that all was not well at ford because there were issues with forming, gluing and stamping

panels because Ford's various T2 suppliers weren't using the prep treatment developed by their T1 major supplier..

It wasn't until Ford got everyone on the same page that a major stumbling block was overcome...

Edited by jpd80