Axle Ratio

joesann

I'm looking at ordering a F350 diesel 4x2 to pull our 36' 14000 lb 5th wheel. I was wondering how the 3.31 rear axle will handle towing, pulling away from a stop or towing through the mountains ? The 4x4 is stands to high for my wife and I'm concerned about the ride quality without the 5er. Thanks

IMO, the 3.31 will pull just fine. I tow about 9500 lbs with mine, so not near the weight, but I have 3.55's with 20" wheels, which is very close to the 3.31's with the 18" wheels. I don't see any problems towing that weight with those gears.

Also, you can get shorter blocks to lower the rear end of a 4x4 a bit if you want to still get 4x4. I don't think ride difference isn't drastically different between the two either.

Good luck! I love my PowerStroke!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Never buy a truck based upon whether or not your wife can climb up into it. If you do, then you might just as well get a Silverado and join up with the other soccer moms.......just sayin'. Realistically, the retractable running board option will do just fine...it goes down lower and has a wider step. My feeble wife gets in just fine using it.