2018 NHRA rule change for PS

coupe3w

I'm sure Ford is real happy about this. Chevy powered Mustangs and Dodges.......

https://www.nhra.com/news/2017/nhra-allow-any-accepted-enginebody-combination-pro-stock-2018

“The new Mustang is a very pretty car,” opined Haas. “It’s been ready for over a year and I think a lot of people, including Ford, are eager to see it out on the track.”

Edited by coupe3w

Maybe they should just change the name to Funny Car Light or NA F/C.

I was in the pits at an NHRA Spring Nationals in Columbus, OH way back in the '70s (1977?) when Glidden was running the '70 Mustang body. We were standing right in front of the car while he was tuning it. Pretty crazy to see him with his ear in the carbs while his wife Etta ran the throttle from inside the car.

0d845e0a6863e41a0576c6771c9791e9--drag-q

• Like 1

They might get more cars in the class but I know at least one fan that won't be back. I haven't paid much attention to NHRA since Ford pulled the plug on all the pro classes. I assume Tasca will be running a Hemi in FC just like everybody else too.

I don't watch Monster Jam anymore either since they started running all Merlin engines which are based on the BB Chebbie. Are they even on TV anymore? That worked out well...

The NHRA won't let any Ford dominance go unchecked. The 500" rule was put in to stop Glidden and the 351C in my opinion. That after slapping weight penalty after weight penalty on the Fords for years.

Gm has dominated for decades now. When a couple guys wanted to go with the Ford Mustangs a few years back did they get any help from the NHRA. Aw hell no!

The NHRA has totally gutted anything and everything that I used to enjoy except one. That is the new Factory Stock cars that Ford pretty much lead the way on.

Watch what that turns into. If the Fords dominate they WILL be factored out immediately. WATCH

The NHRA won't let any Ford dominance go unchecked. The 500" rule was put in to stop Glidden and the 351C in my opinion. That after slapping weight penalty after weight penalty on the Fords for years.

Gm has dominated for decades now. When a couple guys wanted to go with the Ford Mustangs a few years back did they get any help from the NHRA. Aw hell no!

The NHRA has totally gutted anything and everything that I used to enjoy except one. That is the new Factory Stock cars that Ford pretty much lead the way on.

Watch what that turns into. If the Fords dominate they WILL be factored out immediately. WATCH

Ford's dominance in stock and super stock with the Cobra Jet Mustangs is already over. The COPO Camaro's have taken over. I don't know what happened to Fords support for the CJ's but I haven't read any new developments lately. Meanwhile GM has stepped up its game. Sad really.

Edited by coupe3w

Sounds like NASCAR!

No true Ford fan would support this BS. I'd rather see a GM car win races than a GM powered Ford. For decades, it's been typical of so many racing organizations (both land and water) to create rules, weight breaks, etc. to hinder Ford when they had a technical advantage; or to flat out ban certain Ford combinations. I attribute one reason for this GM bias is that GM has consistently supported racers in both good and bad times; while Ford and Chrysler jump in and out of various forms of racing. If the majority of a group of racers use GM equipment, they won't take kindly to some Ford coming in and stealing their thunder. They will lobby the sanctioning body to protect their investment in money and equipment. And so it goes!

• Like 1

These aren't factory production engines or vehicles, so what difference does it make?

It's the principle of the whole deal akirby. Ford fans want Fords to win with Ford power. It's just our pride gets hurt when a Mustang has an LS engine in it and the GM boys love to throw that in our faces. But Ford pulled out of PS to support the CJ cars in stock and super stock. Now it seems like they have given up on that too. The COPO Camaro's are kicking the CJ's butt and Chevy guys are loving it.

http://www.dragzine.com/news/copo-camaros-dominate-at-2017-u-s-nationals/

Edited by coupe3w

It's the principle of the whole deal akirby. Ford fans want Fords to win with Ford power. It's just our pride gets hurt when a Mustang has an LS engine in it and the GM boys love to throw that in our faces. But Ford pulled out of PS to support the CJ cars in stock and super stock. Now it seems like they have given up on that too. The COPO Camaro's are kicking the CJ's butt and Chevy guys are loving it.

http://www.dragzine.com/news/copo-camaros-dominate-at-2017-u-s-nationals/

I understand the frustration. Either compete to win, or get out and stop embarrassing yourself. Half assed efforts are damaging to the brand.

• Like 1

What ever happened to Tony Stewart's plans to run a 410 Ford motor in his WOO (World Of Outlaws) winged sprint dirt cars? Last race I saw Donny Schatz' #15 was still running a Chevy engine but had a big blue oval plastered on both sides of the car...

https://www.motorsport.com/sprint/news/tony-stewart-s-sprint-car-team-partners-with-ford-for-2017-872826/

What ever happened to Tony Stewart's plans to run a 410 Ford motor in his WOO (World Of Outlaws) winged sprint dirt cars? Last race I saw Donny Schatz' #15 was still running a Chevy engine but had a big blue oval plastered on both sides of the car...

https://www.motorsport.com/sprint/news/tony-stewart-s-sprint-car-team-partners-with-ford-for-2017-872826/

Shhhh.......nobody knows the difference with those big Ford decals on the side it's a Ford to the fans.

• 5 months later...

Why would Ford sponsor a Chevy motor. I find that embarrassing.

They do it with Monster Trucks, the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, World of Outlaws, ARCA, and now the NHRA. It's very disappointing. I don't mind spec engine racing, but it should be branded based on who makes the spec engine.

They do it with Monster Trucks, the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, World of Outlaws, ARCA, and now the NHRA. It's very disappointing. I don't mind spec engine racing, but it should be branded based on who makes the spec engine.

Because all those vehicles look exactly like the production Ford vehicles they're based on......

I mean honestly, if it didn't have a Ford badge on the grille you wouldn't be able to tell they were even Fords.

Because all those vehicles look exactly like the production Ford vehicles they're based on......

I mean honestly, if it didn't have a Ford badge on the grille you wouldn't be able to tell they were even Fords.

Not so much in NHRA P/S though. The cars are pretty close looks wise. But the rest do have big FORD logos on them, and it's pretty sad (deceiving) that they have a Ford logo with Chevy power.

Edited by coupe3w