FORD F-150 IS THE 2018 MOTOR TREND TRUCK OF THE YEAR

Ford silences its critics with a midcycle F-150 that is simply dominant

Ford gambled more than $1 billion and abandoned seven decades of steel bodywork to create a 2015 F-150 with an aluminum body. Dropping a claimed 700 pounds would improve fuel economy, increase towing capacity, improve power-to-weight ratios, and create a truck with fewer parts subject to rust.

The move was bold and expensive. Two truck plants closed for 13 weeks each to gut the body shop. Months of downtime meant the lost sale of 60,000 trucks valued at $40,000 or higher, followed by a slow rollout. Ford endured a year of lost market share and profits. Critics called it an unnecessary and costly mistake.

Once the new F-150 arrived, Ford had to fend off GM’s allegations that aluminum wasn’t as tough as Chevy steel. And Ford still was trailing the fuel efficiency chase to the Ramdiesel.

Ford fought back, saying reducing weight was just step one in a more comprehensive reimagining of the F-150. Still to come were a new powertrain lineup with new engines, improvements to existing ones, and a new transmission.

Patience, Ford pleaded. We’re just getting started.

Three years ago, we determined the new F-150 had a nice body but that not all the details had been sorted out. The F-150 lost the Motor Trend 2015 Truck of the Year title to the Chevrolet Colorado.

Fast-forward to today. For 2018 Truck of the Year testing, Ford gave us four variants to show the breadth of the changes under the hood. Ford has been busy; the interiors have gotten nicer, the infotainment system more intuitive, the steering better. The F-150 chassis is stupendous, the innovations have increased, and it has earned an NHTSA five-star safety rating.

It was unanimous. The Ford F-150 is Motor Trend’s 2018 Truck of the Year. “It was a pretty resounding win,” road test editor Chris Walton said. “Nothing really came close.”

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-f-150-2018-truck-of-the-year/

PS

Super proud and happy for our team to see that Ford F-150 and Super Duty have won back-to-back Motor Trend Truck of the Year awards for the entire 2017 and 2018 F-Series lineup: https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2017/11/27/new-f-150-named-2018-motor-trend-truck-of-the-year.html

Edited by Bryan1

When your a truck company the benefit is you can pour all your effort into well..building a great truck..if only they had the tenacity and will to build a passenger car that could dominate like there truck..well congrats to ford.,a truck company winning in a truck segment..color me surprised

"Ford upped its advertising budget?"

Maybe, but Ford won it last year and should have won it in 2015. Looks like they sent 4 trucks this time to be sure to get the win.

PS

GM fanbois buttheart on PUTC:

"The judges were impressed by the two new naturally aspirated, direct-injection engines..."

I'm presuming we're hearing that Motor Trend judges were impressed with a 3.3 liter V6 in a truck that weighs close to 5 thousand pounds with a couple of my passengers on board.

Among the great cars that have 'earned' the Motor Trend award are the Gremlin and the Chevy Vega. Hardly a distinguished award.

comments-box-arc.gif
Posted by: papajim | Nov 28, 2017 1:51:35 PM

Agreed...I love that color! Had I waited for a 2018 Super Duty, that's the color I would have ordered.

I saw a F150 in Magma Red at the dealership a few days ago. I had to check the sticker to make sure it wasn’t bronzefire. It has a lot more metal flake and had a nice two tone dark/light appearance depending on the angle of the sun. I considered it briefly but my current Fusion is red and I had a similar color Lincoln LS (Autumn Red) so it’s probably going to be magnetic or race red. I would consider Blue Jeans but strangely it doesn’t come with the sport package on either the XLT or Lariat.

"Ford upped its advertising budget?"

Maybe, but Ford won it last year and should have won it in 2015. Looks like they sent 4 trucks this time to be sure to get the win.

The real answer is it’s a great truck and there was basically no real competition. Sierra 3500 HD and a Colorado with a new engine but no other changes.

Remember that only new or significantly updated vehicles are even considered.

It’s nice that it won but it means absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

I saw a F150 in Magma Red at the dealership a few days ago. I had to check the sticker to make sure it wasn’t bronzefire. It has a lot more metal flake and had a nice two tone dark/light appearance depending on the angle of the sun. I considered it briefly but my current Fusion is red and I had a similar color Lincoln LS (Autumn Red) so it’s probably going to be magnetic or race red. I would consider Blue Jeans but strangely it doesn’t come with the sport package on either the XLT or Lariat.

I considered both Blue Jeans and Magnetic as those are both beautiful colors. I'm not a fan of Race Red though.

I really don't like the way Ford limits colors on models/trims. It doesn't really make that much sense.

I considered both Blue Jeans and Magnetic as those are both beautiful colors. I'm not a fan of Race Red though.

I really don't like the way Ford limits colors on models/trims. It doesn't really make that much sense.

My issue with Race Red is that it looks great in pictures but in person it sometimes has an orange tint. Wife thinks Im crazy but Ive seen this mentioned by lots of other folks.

The big issue with me for the sport package is the console shifter. I dont mind blue jeans with the chrome appearance package but it has the column shifter.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

My issue with Race Red is that it looks great in pictures but in person it sometimes has an orange tint. Wife thinks Im crazy but Ive seen this mentioned by lots of other folks.

The big issue with me for the sport package is the console shifter. I dont mind blue jeans with the chrome appearance package but it has the column shifter.

That's the same reason I don't like the Race Red...it looks orangish.

So you DON'T want the column shifter? I used to want it, but with the quad cup holders my SD has, I'm glad it didn't come with the console shifter. The column works just fine.

• Like 1

That's the same reason I don't like the Race Red...it looks orangish.

So you DON'T want the column shifter? I used to want it, but with the quad cup holders my SD has, I'm glad it didn't come with the console shifter. The column works just fine.

I don’t like the column shifter. I’ve gotten used to console shifters the last 20 years and cup holders aren’t usually a problem.

I don’t like the column shifter. I’ve gotten used to console shifters the last 20 years and cup holders aren’t usually a problem.

That's why I thought I wanted the console shifter in my truck, but I actually like the extra space. I quite often have a cup of water and a cup of coffee (as does my wife) on trips, so I'd rather have the cup holders. I do wish the +/- shift buttons were a bit more accessible than they are on the column shifter though.