2018/19 Lightning?

LSchicago

Now that dealers are selling Lightning tributes (and they are selling), I'm hoping Ford will actually build a gen 3 factory Supercharged 5.0 Lightning. The 2018 5.0 RCSB is a great start, being that they are quicker than the Gen 2 Lightnings in the 1/4 mile. Even if they did a handling/appearance/interior package with the NA Mustang GT 460HP 5.0 & true duals. Easy mid 12 second truck even without a Supercharger. On edit: No Ecoboost! The Tremor did not sell because it's not what sport truck buyers want. A proper Lightning needs a Supercharged V8, Just like Pioneer Ford is building, or at least a Mustang GT version V8.

Edited by LSchicago
  • Like 1

If a lightning was ever to materialize, I imagine it will sport the eco-boost from the raptor as opposed to the 5.0.

No, No, No! Ford tried that with the Tremor. It failed miserably, selling less than 1,000 units. It was no quicker than the 5.0 RCSB. Not a high performance truck at all. Motor Trend just tested the 2018 4X4 CC 395HP 5.0 Platinum (5371#) against the Raptor EB with 450HP that weighs 5711, and they both ran 14.7. The 5.0 had 3.31 gears and the Raptor has 4.10's. I fail to see how the Ecoboost can be used in a Lightning sucessfully. The 2018 F150 RCSB with 5.0 is now the quickest factory Ford truck ever built, Running 13.2 in the 1/4, bone stock and full weight. Even if the go back to the original Lightning idea, of a performance NA engine (Mustang GT 5.0) It would run mid-high 12's. If they supercharged it with a Roush, they would get 640HP without any other changes! The truck Pioneer Ford builds is close, but not all a factory Lightning would be. PIoneer is also about $6,000 higher than that package should be. Ford can build a much better truck in house and sell them under $50K Supercharged and they would sell like Crazy. Or build the 5.0 GT (much better than the Raptor V6 for a performance truck) motored version with 4.10 gears Under $44K. I'd be in line, ready to trade my 13. It's all I've been waiting for......

Motor Trend just tested the 2018 4X4 CC 395HP 5.0 Platinum (5371#) against the Raptor EB with 450HP that weighs 5711, and they both ran 14.7. The 5.0 had 3.31 gears and the Raptor has 4.10's.

Yeah, let's forget about the much taller and heavier, high rolling resistance off-road tires on the Raptor.

Let's also forget about the suspension that is built to absorb bumps and not transfer weight most-efficiently for quarter mile launches.

Let's also forget that the Raptor weighs more due to the stiffer frame, bigger, heavier shocks, and all it's off-road goodies.

Slap that 450HP version of the V6 in a comparably equipped truck and it will put the 5.0L in it's place.

• Like 1

Yeah, let's forget about the much taller and heavier, high rolling resistance off-road tires on the Raptor.

Let's also forget about the suspension that is built to absorb bumps and not transfer weight most-efficiently for quarter mile launches.

Let's also forget that the Raptor weighs more due to the stiffer frame, bigger, heavier shocks, and all it's off-road goodies.

Slap that 450HP version of the V6 in a comparably equipped truck and it will put the 5.0L in it's place.

Yes, but A 2018 Lightning With a Roush SC'd 5.0 would be 640HP on Roush's very conservative tune. Bye-Bye Ecoboost.

I'd love to see a regular cab 6.5 bed with the 2.7EB with a power bump and 6 speed row boat.

Not gonna happen. But a man can wish. :-) You can buy the truck and add the 6 speed though.

Just buy the truck and add the 6 speed....

Edited by LSchicago

No, No, No! Ford tried that with the Tremor. It failed miserably, selling less than 1,000 units. It was no quicker than the 5.0 RCSB. Not a high performance truck at all. Motor Trend just tested the 2018 4X4 CC 395HP 5.0 Platinum (5371#) against the Raptor EB with 450HP that weighs 5711, and they both ran 14.7. The 5.0 had 3.31 gears and the Raptor has 4.10's. I fail to see how the Ecoboost can be used in a Lightning sucessfully. The 2018 F150 RCSB with 5.0 is now the quickest factory Ford truck ever built, Running 13.2 in the 1/4, bone stock and full weight. Even if the go back to the original Lightning idea, of a performance NA engine (Mustang GT 5.0) It would run mid-high 12's. If they supercharged it with a Roush, they would get 640HP without any other changes! The truck Pioneer Ford builds is close, but not all a factory Lightning would be. PIoneer is also about $6,000 higher than that package should be. Ford can build a much better truck in house and sell them under $50K Supercharged and they would sell like Crazy. Or build the 5.0 GT (much better than the Raptor V6 for a performance truck) motored version with 4.10 gears Under $44K. I'd be in line, ready to trade my 13. It's all I've been waiting for......

When I stated that, it didnt mean that I agreed with it. It seems Fords objective is to push the eco-boost.

I would have preferred a V8 in my Raptor, however the performance of the V6 feels better than my last 6.2L. I just dont know how much of the improvement in that performance is attributed to the new 10 speed transmission.

• Like 1

When I stated that, it didnt mean that I agreed with it. It seems Fords objective is to push the eco-boost.

I would have preferred a V8 in my Raptor, however the performance of the V6 feels better than my last 6.2L. I just dont know how much of the improvement in that performance is attributed to the new 10 speed transmission.

A good portion of 6.2 Raptor owners Supercharged them. Not much you can do for big HP gains on EB Raptors. It severely limits potential for a quick shot of power.

Because if Ford built a factory gen 3 Lightning, it would most likely be a supercharged 5.0.

Says who? They could very easily use the 3.5L Ecoboost with a tune somewhere between the Raptor and GT.

Why did Ford Supercharge the 5.4? To build a Lightning.

What other V8 did they have available at the time that wasn't a Diesel?