Why no volt/amp meter?

HarryTitus

I have found Ammeters and Volt meters useful in the past. Certainly there would be an idiot light come on if the charging stopped, but most recently I had the alternator fail on my Expedition. The gauge showed the charging rate dropping first, then the battery voltage drop as I desperately tried to make it home on what was left in the battery. I didn't make it, but knowing what the battery level was told me when to pull in to stop before the engine died out altogether. Also, considering how easy it is to have electrical issues erupt while pulling a trailer, I'd like to be able to watch the gauge. I have considered installing an aftermarket gauge, but there isn't any good spot to put one on the dash or console. I agree with those who mention that the current gauges are little more than idiot lights. Boy, do I miss those needles jumping around and giving me the real info. LOL.

Harry

Edited by HarryTitus

I understand. But you also have to consider the thousands of people who would flood their dealers with false problems because those gauges were jumping around even when it’s normal. That’s why they made the oil gauge an idiot light.

I wouldn’t mind detailed info like that but I understand why Ford won’t put it up there. Perhaps the new configurable LCD screens like the one in the new Mustang would allow you to have that info if you wanted it.

• Like 1

I understand. But you also have to consider the thousands of people who would flood their dealers with false problems because those gauges were jumping around even when it’s normal. That’s why they made the oil gauge an idiot light.

IMHO, the reason they went to an oil idiot light is that it would more likely be noticed than a gauge reading low.

I wouldn’t mind detailed info like that but I understand why Ford won’t put it up there. Perhaps the new configurable LCD screens like the one in the new Mustang would allow you to have that info if you wanted it.

For those of us who actually READ about potential issues (like leaking oil pumps on Modular engines) the lack TRUTHFUL oil pressure will prevent preventive maintenance. Historically, analog pressure sensor have not been very durable. Removing it and replacing it with a switch save money and prevents warranty issue.

A second switch set at about 15 PSI would at least allow the gauge to indicate low oil pressure instead of just NO oil pressure.

• Like 1

You can have a real gauge and an idiot light. My 95 ranger had a “check gauge” warning that almost worked. My wife drove my Ranger one day and called me to say the check gauge light was on. I said well what was it? She said the check gauge light was on. Again I say so which gauge had a problem? She says I don’t know.

Can’t live with them, can’t shoot them.

Back to the original complaint ...

I know on GM vehicles, all of the "analog" gauges are actually digital. That is, the data arrives at the cluster in a digital form (or is immediately converted to digital) and the processor on the cluster moves the needle attached to a stepper motor to the APPROXIMATE position. I would guess that Ford is doing the same thing.

True, ACCURATE, analog voltmeters and ammeters are EXPENSIVE. You are not likely to see them on any production vehicle.