Fewer Choices for Next Gen Escape?

realworld

While speaking at a Goldman Sachs conference recently, Joe Hinrichs, Ford president of global operations, described areas for cutting costs. According to an Automotive News report, Hinrichs mentioned reducing manufacturing complexity as one area. According to the report, Ford also plans to save money by reducing complexity. That includes a tenfold reduction in orderable combinations of the next-generation Escape crossover.

Guess this means the SEL model, reinstated for 2018, will disappear...again? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://bit.ly/2mtMFo5

As an example, Escape S only has one option package, but it has 12 individually orderable options. That makes 4096 orderable combinations just on the S model. Combine those into 3 packages and you now have 16 orderable combinations - a reduction of 99%+.

Escape SE has one trim level but 19 options. That makes over 500,000 combinations!!!! Ridiculous!

SEL has one trim level but 18 options. Over 250K combinations.

Titanium has one trim level but 14 options. 16K combinations.

And that doesn't take into account exterior or interior color.

Give S models two option packages.

Ditch the SEL and give SE two trim levels.

Make the Safe and Smart package standard on SEL upper trim and Titanium.

The only stand alone options should be block heater, AWD, navigation (on SEL), Vista roof, 2.0 EB and towing package and maybe an extra wheel option on SEL and Titanium.

That makes

S - 2 combinations

SE base - ~128 combinations

SE luxury ~256 combinations

Titanium ~128 combinations

Problem solved.

• Like 4

As an example, Escape S only has one option package, but it has 12 individually orderable options. That makes 4096 orderable combinations just on the S model. Combine those into 3 packages and you now have 16 orderable combinations - a reduction of 99%+.

Escape SE has one trim level but 19 options. That makes over 500,000 combinations!!!! Ridiculous!

SEL has one trim level but 18 options. Over 250K combinations.

Titanium has one trim level but 14 options. 16K combinations.

And that doesn't take into account exterior or interior color.

Give S models two option packages.

Ditch the SEL and give SE two trim levels.

Make the Safe and Smart package standard on SEL upper trim and Titanium.

The only stand alone options should be block heater, AWD, navigation (on SEL), Vista roof, 2.0 EB and towing package ...

That makes

S - 2 combinations

SE base - ~128 combinations

SE luxury ~256 combinations

Titanium ~128 combinations

Problem solved.

icon_thumbs1.gif

"...and maybe an extra wheel option on SEL and Titanium."

I (still) like the idea of dealers having wheel boutiques

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And don't forget to raise the price on each model and options.

If they were smart - they would option vehicles regionally. The folks in Florida have to get heated seats because they want the panoramic roof, while the folks in Colorado have to buy the most expensive configuration to get a few winter options.

My wife can never have a (new) Ford, because she refuses to to drive a car without all the winter features, but she does not like giant sunroofs. I would have to buy a "platinum" anything to get the three things I really need. There you go! Give the folks in Florida the vista roof, and give us the winter package!

A winter package should be available as an option on every model sold in a cold climate, even the lowest 'S' trim level. No wonder everyone around here drives a Subaru!

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 2

If they were smart - they would option vehicles regionally. The folks in Florida have to get heated seats because they want the panoramic roof, while the folks in Colorado have to buy the most expensive configuration to get a few winter options.

My wife can never have a (new) Ford, because she refuses to to drive a car without all the winter features, but she does not like giant sunroofs. I would have to buy a "platinum" anything to get the three things I really need. There you go! Give the folks in Florida the vista roof, and give us the winter package!

A winter package should be available as an option on every model sold in a cold climate, even the lowest 'S' trim level. No wonder everyone around here drives a Subaru!

You just multiplied the build complexity by 1000 or so.

Ford is trying to get away from the options they have now and move to packages. Maybe eliminating individual options and creating 'summer' and 'winter' packages would help?

• Like 1

We rarely open the BAMR but it sure is nice having all that glass. Even in Atlanta it never gets too hot while you're driving.

But I agree it should be packaged better.

It drives me crazy you can buy a $60K Reserve or Black Label MKX and not get the climate, technology and driver assist packages. Ridiculous.

• Like 1

Ford is trying to get away from the options they have now and move to packages. Maybe eliminating individual options and creating 'summer' and 'winter' packages would help?

In this case it's unbundling the vista roof. I think you should have options for vista roof, navigation, cold weather (dealers in the north would order this standard, others can skip it or do it by special order only), wheel upgrades, etc. and bundle everything else in with the trim level. Top trim gets everything.

In this case it's unbundling the vista roof. I think you should have options for vista roof, navigation, cold weather (dealers in the north would order this standard, others can skip it or do it by special order only), wheel upgrades, etc. and bundle everything else in with the trim level. Top trim gets everything.

I can agree with that if it's just unbundling the roof and not making all the pieces separate options.

Ford has unbundled the BAMR for 2018 in the Super Duty. I had to get it on my 2017 because I wanted the ultimate package (which you had to get in order to get the LED headlights) and the ult package came with the moonroof. For 2018, it's separate. Had it been separate, I likely would have skipped it (and saved $1k), though I love it now that I have it.

Ive been of the opinion that any kind of sunroof/BAMR/whatever you want to call it should always be a standalone option. Period.

That said Im petrified of how ridiculous the packaging will be for the Ranger. Theres only 4 things I really want (3 of which are non-negotiable). I just hope the winter package turns out more like the current Focus and less like the Fusion/Escape.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 2

don't they already build a standard or easily/separately available "winter pkg" for Canada?

edit: wonder if they already build a hot-weather configuration for any vehicles sold in the MiddleEast?

Edited by 2b2

A winter package should be available as an option on every model sold in a cold climate, even the lowest 'S' trim level. People who would never consider a 'Platinum' would certainly pay $500-600 for a solid winter package in areas where it gets cold.

Why should a "top trim" sold in Miami FL or Tucson AZ get a winter package at all? If it is less costly at time of build to just include it with 'Platinum' than to delete, then I certainly get that! But that does not excuse full winter options are not being available on lower models. Note to Ford - sell more cars to the ladies of the North and the Mtn. West who can't afford a 'Platinum' or 'Titanium' by offering them a solid winter package as a reasonably priced option. Guys like it too - but it is more of a deal breaker with the ladies.

I know it will be what it will be - they will put them together in the most efficient way possible, but they better keep an eye on what competition is doing if they want that share of the market. I am pretty sure that Subaru and other Asian makes offer heated cloth seats. Leather is prone to cracks in the extreme cold when it gets a bit of wear, so rugged cloth is the material of choice for many outdoor enthusiasts.

Edited by Kev-Mo

A winter package should be available as an option on every model sold in a cold climate, even the lowest 'S' trim level. People who would never consider a 'Platinum' would certainly pay $500-600 for a solid winter package in areas where it gets cold.

Why should a "top trim" sold in Miami FL or Tucson AZ get a winter package at all? If it is less costly at time of build to just include it with 'Platinum' than to delete, then I certainly get that! But that does not excuse full winter options are not being available on lower models. Note to Ford - sell more cars to the ladies of the North and the Mtn. West who can't afford a 'Platinum' or 'Titanium' by offering them a solid winter package as a reasonably priced option. Guys like it too - but it is more of a deal breaker with the ladies.

I know it will be what it will be - they will put them together in the most efficient way possible, but they better keep an eye on what competition is doing if they want that share of the market. I am pretty sure that Subaru and other Asian makes offer heated cloth seats. Leather is prone to cracks in the extreme cold when it gets a bit of wear, so rugged cloth is the material of choice for many outdoor enthusiasts.

I agree the winter package should be available on all trims.

Ford does offer cloth heated seats. In Canada.

Ford is starting to offer heated cloth seats as well. It's not just leather any more.

Ford is starting to offer heated cloth seats as well. It's not just leather any more.

You're right. I just double-checked and you can get heated front seats on the F150 XLT w/302A package - cloth.

Also - surprisingly - Fusion SE with cold weather package.

I don't know when that changed - it used to be leather only for the states while Canada got cloth heated seats on everything.

You're right. I just double-checked and you can get heated front seats on the F150 XLT w/302A package - cloth.

Also - surprisingly - Fusion SE with cold weather package.

I don't know when that changed - it used to be leather only for the states while Canada got cloth heated seats on everything.

It changed with the refresh. Same with Escape.

I havent recently check all the current order configurations like you guys. But I bought a 2015 Escape Titanium AWD with every option minus the BAMR new in 2015. Sometimes I wish I had it but it put the cost over what I wanted to spend. The sticker was $35k at that.

Now I see the adaptive cruise on the 17+. I wish I had that.