2019 Ram Rendered

rmc523

As a person who has owned a truck for 90% of my driving life, I'm having difficulty identifying the value of this feature. Not that I don't think they should try to develop added value, but like others have suggested, it seems like a solution trying to find a problem.

I have to imagine this will be an optional item, because anyone using their truck for work likely would not want this kind of tailgate.

Maybe it is like the Ford tailgate step, where you didn't know how useful it is until you have it. Now I wouldn't buy a truck without it. The old man step, as I call it, is worth the money.

With this tailgate option, I don't see how Ram can add a tailgate step to compete with the Ford option.

Another point against it for me is I don't like extra seems. Like their bedside integrated toolbox, I wouldn't order this option because I don't like what it does to the lines of the truck.

As a person who has owned a truck for 90% of my driving life, I'm having difficulty identifying the value of this feature. Not that I don't think they should try to develop added value, but like others have suggested, it seems like a solution trying to find a problem.

I have to imagine this will be an optional item, because anyone using their truck for work likely would not want this kind of tailgate.

Maybe it is like the Ford tailgate step, where you didn't know how useful it is until you have it. Now I wouldn't buy a truck without it. The old man step, as I call it, is worth the money.

With this tailgate option, I don't see how Ram can add a tailgate step to compete with the Ford option.

Another point against it for me is I don't like extra seems. Like their bedside integrated toolbox, I wouldn't order this option because I don't like what it does to the lines of the truck.

That's why I proposed that perhaps the thought is that the customer will open the larger side sideways and then use the bumper step to step into the bed as opposed to a tailgate-integrated step.

That's why I proposed that perhaps the thought is that the customer will open the larger side sideways and then use the bumper step to step into the bed as opposed to a tailgate-integrated step.

The difference is the Ford step allows for a larger drop for the step, which is much easier to use than the small drop allowed for by a bumper step. I can load dirt bikes into the back of my truck because of the step, whereas with a bumper step, I don't believe that would be possible, at least in the manner in which I load them.

The difference is the Ford step allows for a larger drop for the step, which is much easier to use than the small drop allowed for by a bumper step. I can load dirt bikes into the back of my truck because of the step, whereas with a bumper step, I don't believe that would be possible, at least in the manner in which I load them.

Good point. Like everyone else here, I was just trying to find a potential use for it.

The difference with that patent they filed is that the one spied in the pictures has a 60/40 (or 70/30) split, and only one release handle, whereas that patent has one on each door.

In the patent (US 8740279 B1) it mentions the different split ratios. So it is possible you may be able to order a couple different ways...

"... with additional reference to FIGS. 2-6, multifunctional tailgate 10 can include first and second doors 40, 44 in a 50/50 split configuration. It should be appreciated, however, that doors 40, 44 can be provided in various split configurations, such as 60/40, 65/35 or 70/30. ..."

Edited by Anthony

They have a smaller truck called Toro that's not sold in the US. The tailgate on that one splits 50/50 and has panels that drop down to extend the bed. That's probably a better idea than what they propose for the RAM.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ram+toro&tbm=isch&source=iu&pf=m&ictx=1&fir=qBNxlZSh4W-tSM%253A%252C_IKsj9adHKabNM%252C_&usg=__L-tkuuLWLbFccatQK2O6xDRTYd4%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjb0qfvscbXAhUV1mMKHVZgCj4Q9QEIPjAK#imgrc=qBNxlZSh4W-tSM: