2019 Ram Rendered

rmc523

So the right side would open sideways like a door? I'm not grasping the benefit.

Supposedly it'll open like a regular tailgate, and potentially the left and right sides will be able to open independently (not one then the other). I don't see the benefit either......the only thing I can think of is that perhaps being able to open the tailgate sideways allows you to use the license plate step to get into the bed?

Only real benefit I could see would being able to lower the right side to haul longer items while keeping the left side closed to keep stuff in the truck. But you'd still need a way to keep stuff from sliding over to the right and out. Who knows...seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Edited by fordmantpw
  • Like 1

Supposedly it'll open like a regular tailgate, and potentially the left and right sides will be able to open independently (not one then the other). I don't see the benefit either......the only thing I can think of is that perhaps being able to open the tailgate sideways allows you to use the license plate step to get into the bed?

The shorter one would be convenient to leave open if you have some long 2x4s in the back or something like that.

The shorter one would be convenient to leave open if you have some long 2x4s in the back or something like that.

But if you leave the bed down you get an extra 2 ft of support. Maybe it would allow easier access to things in the bed. But I think "solution looking for a problem" is more correct.

Split seems weird, I could have seen them trying something like the Ridgeline where the tailgate will open down or swing open. The bad thing with this is that the fit and finish needs to be perfect and not sag overtime, the way the eyes focus on a tailgate and rear of a vehicles you will notice any imperfection and will make the vehicle look like it has been in an accident it also isn't pleasing to the eye as the balance is off.

Edited by jasonj80

Only real benefit I could see would being able to lower the right side to haul longer items while keeping the left side closed to keep stuff in the truck. But you'd still need a way to keep stuff from sliding over to the right and out. Who knows...seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Except I don't think they'll lower independently, they'll swing open sideways independently.

Split seems weird, I could have seen them trying something like the Ridgeline where the tailgate will open down or swing open. The bad thing with this is that the fit and finish needs to be perfect and not sag overtime, the way the eyes focus on a tailgate and rear of a vehicles you will notice any imperfection and will make the vehicle look like it has been in an accident it also isn't pleasing to the eye as the balance is off.

Agreed.....even the model pictured doesn't line up properly:

19ram1500-splitgate-g02-kgp-ed-1.jpg

But if you leave the bed down you get an extra 2 ft of support. Maybe it would allow easier access to things in the bed. But I think "solution looking for a problem" is more correct.

I usually haven my tailgate up when hauling longer loads, because it is easier to secure for me with the short box of the truck. I really can't conceive of a reason for that. I also noticed it doesn't line up well.

Main benefit I can see is not having to reach over the tailgate to access / put stuff in your bed.

Most times for smaller to midsize items you drop the stuff on the tailgate and slide it into the bed so you can put up the tailgate back up. Now its just drop and close the door.